bruin27 is offline Associate Member

Hypothyroidsim at 27?

My current stats, 5'10, 27 years old, 220 pounds.

So I've been out of health insurance for about 2 years and havent had any blood work or testing done since then. The last few months I've noticed an increase in fatigue, hardly any sex drive, body aches, havent been able to lose weight no matter what I do. I thought my test was low so I went to get everything tested.

So I finally get blood work done last week and the doc calls me to have me go back and get my thyroid levels tested again. My TSH test came back at a 5.28! I dont have the complete bloodwork numbers, they are being mailed to me. Will post when I get them. The doc hasnt gotten the test results back yet.

The only thing I can think of is I did a short cycle of t3 with clen about 1 1/2 years ago. Stuck to low dosages and didnt finish the cycle as the sides sucked. Could this have caused the hypothyroidism? Is there anything I can do to naturally bring my numbers back to normal or am I going to have to be on meds forever?

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    common causes for hypothyroidism in young adults are auto-immune diseases or iodine deficient diet. i don't think its from your cycles. but not to worry yet, just wait for the complete results before you think of treatment options.

iSwanson is offline Junior Member
    Don't worry you won't be diagnosed with Hypothyroidism until they do a few thorough blood test on you. As asian dude stated you may just need to up your iodine intake. I'm a nurse and I've deal w/ plenty of patients with Hypothyroidism and a few as young as you. Say you are diagnosed you can still live a completely healthy life as long as you stick to your treatment which would more then likely be levothyroxin. With hard work and a pretty solid diet you can still get the body you want with hypothyroidism as long as you follow your doctors recommendations. Normally when someone has a high TSH it means that your thyroid gland is having a hard time responding to the TSH, this is a fairly common cause and can be corrected pretty easily with the drug I named earlier. You probably won't want to workout or do anything vigorous for a while if you are diagnosed and you are placed on this medication because everyone's therapeutic (effective) range for the medication is different and it takes a little trial and error to find what works for your body. That was just a little info I thought I should throw your way, but again don't get too worked up about it yet.

P.S. it's highly unlikely that your use of the T3 would have caused you to have hypothyroidism after such as short stint as long as you weren't over doing your dosage trying to get unrealistic results in an unrealistic time frame.

thanks so much for the reassurance..

oscarjones is offline Banned
    Thyroid can be controlled easily with proper meds, so not to worry. And it can dictate lots of things in the body. It's one of the most confusing glandular disorders to correct, if you don't have a very knowledgeable Dr. Certain diet, supplemental, medication, and timing need to be taken into account. It's a delicate matter, the thyroid.

would this product work for a supplement? NOW: Thyroid Energy ?

AD
    AD is offline Knowledgeable Member
    if you look at the individual contents, is iodine listed? if so, it might help a little, but i would wait for the Dr to complete his investigations and arrive at a final diagnosis before you take anything, in case you complicate the picture with these supps.

iSwanson is offline Junior Member
    As Asian dude said don't take anything at the moment until your Dr has either diagnosed you w/ it or completely ruled it out. You don't want to be taking something that my taint your lab values making it difficult for them to get a true understanding of what is happening to you. Just keep eating well and workout if you must, but try to avoid all supplements beside your normal protein shakes and such.

ata1979 is offline Associate Member
    5.28 is not that bad. the normal range is between 1-5, so you are just above it. Nothing to worry about at the moment. I had quit working out about 6 years ago for a 3 year period and I was feeling real crappy. Basically all the symptoms you mentioned and more. It got to the point were I thought I had cancer or something and I was dying. I blimped up to 310 lbs. Finally got some bloodwork done and my TSH came back at 35! Dr. said my thyroid had completely shutdown. He put me on Bitiron, a T3/T4 mix and I feel great now. I'm at 225 lbs with alotta energy.

ata1979 is offline Associate Member
    Brazilian Nuts and sea salt are good for stimulating the thyroid.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ata1979 View Post
    TSH came back at 35! Dr. said my thyroid had completely shutdown.
    Why did this happen in the first place?

Thread Information