palme is offline Rosie Member

AAS makes you stupid

A friend showed me this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

High-dose anabolic androgenic steroids modulate concentrations of nerve growth factor and expression of its low affinity receptor (p75-NGFr) in male rat brain.

Tirassa P, Thiblin I, Agren G, Vigneti E, Aloe L, Stenfors C.

Institute of Neurobiology, C.N.R., Rome, Italy.

The effects of treatment with a high dose of nandrolone or testosterone on nerve growth factor (NGF) levels and NGF low-affinity receptor (p75-NGFr) distribution in the brain were analyzed. Nandrolone, subcutaneously injected in rats for several weeks, caused an increase of NGF levels in the hippocampus and septum and a decrease in the hypothalamus. The number of p75-NGFr-immunoreactive neurons and the p75-NGFr expression levels were reduced in the septum and vertical and horizontal Broca's bands. Testosterone injections caused an increase of NGF levels in the hippocampus, septum, and occipital cortex and induced an upregulation of p75-NGFr in the forebrain NGF target regions. This testosterone effect suggests that nandrolone and testosterone affect brain NGF target cells by a different mechanism(s). Nandrolone may interfere with NGF transport and/or utilization by forebrain neurons, causing an altered p75-NGFr expression and NGF accumulation as a consequence. Since NGF is known to maintain forebrain neurons and to regulate neurobehavioral functions, including memory, learning, and defensive behavior, it is possible to hypothesize that this neurotrophin may play a role in the mechanism of action of anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS) in the brain and be associated with endocrine and behavioral dysfunctions occurring due to AAS abuse.

PMID: 9008150 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    intresting

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I often wish these abstracts would include the doses and duration...all too often when one deconstructs the studies that seem to indicate the impending death of all aas users, one often discovers that the doses and durations used in the study would translate to a usage in humans that even the most ambitious pro bodybuilders wouldn't entertain. I would like to dig more into this to find out if this is the case here. Already the fact that injections were subcutaneous leads me to question what other variables may not equate with "our" version of aas usage.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    This is just another BS study conducted on rats which may or MAY NOT be relative to humans AAS use.

The fact of the matter is scientist/ doctors know very little about AAS as used for performance enhancing.

The number of studies conducted on healthy ahtletes invovling AAS are minimal at best.

Anyone whose been around AAS for a while still remember when on the paper work that was packaged with steriods it said " WILL NOT ENHANCE ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE". Now everyone knows better.

It wasn't even until 1984 that the IOC listed AAS on the ban substance list.
    Also It wasn't til 1996 that scienist and doctors could prove that AAS effected muscle growth.

So as far as these "studies" go who's to really say what the results of AAS use will be in the long run?
    So far "we" the athletes with hands on experience lead the way for what the real life use of AAS will bring.

Until there's a comprehensive study done involving HUMANS and real life AAS applications that's where I'll stand on the subject.

xxxl83

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    interesting...although i still don't believe AAS could be any worse for the mind than alcohol...

instead of killing brain cells like alcohol does AAS just fucks with one's neurobehavioral functions. i don't know which one would be worse in the long run although my hypothesis is that alcohol would make you dumber given enough time and consumption.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by daem
    interesting...although i still don't believe AAS could be any worse for the mind than alcohol...

instead of killing brain cells like alcohol does AAS just fucks with one's neurobehavioral functions. i don't know which one would be worse in the long run although my hypothesis is that alcohol would make you dumber given enough time and consumption.
    Maybe they need to do a study on alcoholic juiced up rats!

ECFATCAT is offline Associate Member
    that's just crap ...did they have a conversation with this rat....was a goverment rat has to be .....J/k that rat needed some B12

Big_BoneZ is offline Associate Member
    now the question is ...

Would you be a lil Stupid or real Skinny?

I'll Muscle over Mind Anyday .. or maybe not....

but come on.. rats got no brains.. its like comparing a 130 lb guys muscles with Ronnie Coleman

yea yea they do but their brains are nothing compared to us. If it does fuck up a few neurons here and there, no biggie

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It has been shown in many studies that Nandrolone retards nerve growth. This is why some people think recovery is so difficult from deca . However from that study are we to also hypothesize that taking Test makes you smarter. The leap in logic here is a stretch at best. I have done deca for years and have had no......wait a minute what were we talking about?

bitchtits is offline Associate Member
    94.5 of All Statistic are made up...
    -EC

Lift Chief is offline Member
    Originally posted by Rickson
    It has been shown in many studies that Nandrolone retards nerve growth. This is why some people think recovery is so difficult from deca. However from that study are we to also hypothesize that taking Test makes you smarter. The leap in logic here is a stretch at best. I have done deca for years and have had no......wait a minute what were we talking about?

LOL

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Rickson, I'm still laughing my ass off...That was funny!!!

nj_
    nj_ is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by Rickson
    It has been shown in many studies that Nandrolone retards nerve growth. This is why some people think recovery is so difficult from deca. However from that study are we to also hypothesize that taking Test makes you smarter. The leap in logic here is a stretch at best. I have done deca for years and have had no......wait a minute what were we talking about?

Thread Information