majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries

Humalog.....prescription only??

I've heard conflicting data and would like clarification. Is humalog available by prescription only no matter where you live? If so, what other fast acting insulin do people use? There are several different brands that act the same as Humalog.

youg'un is offline Associate Member
    I have never needed a perscription for it.

Blog Entries
    I believe the Canadian laws are different than in the US..sorry, I didn't clarify that I meant people living in the US.

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey bro, this doesnt tell u if u can buy them but its some good info on the different insulins....

OG
    Types of insulin differ with respect to their source, how fast they begin to act, and how long their effect persists. Today most people use synthetic brands of insulin, such as Humulin and Novolin, which are identical to natural human insulin. Older insulin brands such as Iletin are extracted from the pancreases of cattle or pigs and differ slightly from human insulin, making them more likely than synthetic types to cause side effects such as skin rash and fat deposits under the skin.
    With respect to speed of onset and duration of effect, there are prompt, short, intermediate, and long-acting insulins. Lispro (brand name Humalog) is a prompt-acting insulin. It starts to lower blood sugar in about 15 minutes, reaches its peak sugar-lowering effect after 60 to 90 minutes, and stops affecting blood sugar four to five hours after you inject it. You should inject Lispro just before a meal.

Regular insulin such as Humulin R and Novolin R is defined as short acting. It begins lowering blood sugar from 30 to 60 minutes after you inject it. The peak effect from an injection occurs after two to three hours and the effect lasts for a total of five to seven hours.

Lente (Humulin L, Novolin L) and NPH (Humulin N, Novolin N) are intermediate-acting insulins. They start to work within two to four hours after injection, achieve their peak of activity after four to 12 hours, and last for a total of 14 to 20 hours.

Ultralente (Humulin U) is a long-acting insulin that kicks in approximately six to 10 hours after you inject it. Its peak effect in lowering blood sugar doesn't occur until 14 to 24 hours following injection and it continues acting for a total of 20 to 36 hours.

Insulin glargine (Lantus) is a new form of long-acting insulin. It starts to work within one to two hours and continues acting for about 24 hours. Lantus is different from other forms of insulin in that is does not have a peak effect. Instead, it lowers blood sugar a relatively constant amount during the 24-hour period it is in the body.

Many people use more than one type of insulin to control their blood sugar. You shouldn't mix certain types of insulin together in the same syringe, so make sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist first. Some people use premixed combinations of regular and NPH. Examples include Humulin 70/30, Novolin 70/30, and Humulin 50/50. 70/30 insulin is 70 percent NPH and 30 percent regular insulin. 50/50 insulin contains 50 percent NPH and 50 percent regular insulin. These insulins provide the same activity as if you injected NPH and regular insulin separately. But they can be easier to use, since you don't have to measure two separate doses.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I am pretty sure in the US you have to have a prescription everywhere for Humalog although you may just walk in to a pharmacy and say you want insulin and would prefer Humalog and get away with it. I personally like Humulin R better. I react better to it and as long as I am not lazy on my diet I don't add any more fat than with humalog.

Blog Entries
    Rickson...I just talked to a buddy of mine and he also suggested Humulin R as having almost identical results. With the Humulin R is the clearance time still about 2 hours before you should go to sleep?

youg'un is offline Associate Member
    sorry to hear that you cant get it without a perscription. i prefer humalog directly after a workout especially if you do it IM. humulin R would be your next best thing + its alot safer as far as when it starts working it gives you some extra time to take in your carbs.

fast is offline Associate Member
    In Finland no perscription is needed for humalog.
    But man, be very careful with this stuff

skii96 is offline Member
    I use humilin R also with great results. I would just use that if its your first time with slin, it gives you a little more leeway in taking in your carbs and protein.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Major it takes 6 hours for humiln-r to completly leave your system. But it peaks in 2 hours
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

McBain is offline Member
    I am curious why so many people are partial to Humiln-R. Especially if trying to keep the fat off. I didn't think there was much of a difference between fat gain on humalog or humilin-R if one was careful with fat intake but upon question Nandi12 over on CEM this...it led me to believe otherwise

"It's not just a matter of avoiding fat intake. Why did I become hypoglycemic several hours after shooting the insulin , even though I ate carbs afterwards? This is because normally, fat is always being mobilized for fuel by hormone sensitive lipase, an enzyme in fat cells. Insulin inhibits HSL, so fat is not available as a fuel for muscle, nor is the glycerol from mobilized triglycerides available for conversion to glucose via gluconeogenesis. So I was out running several hours after shooting the humulin, and there was no fat available for my muscles to burn.

So simply avoiding eating fat for several hours after shooting Humulin will not prevent fat from accumulating, since your body is unable to mobilize the fat that it normally does for fuel. In fact, your body will just burn more of the glycogen that you wanted to store in the first place by carbing up after using insulin! Humulin is just not a good idea." -Nandi12

Opinions?

Blog Entries
    Oh great McBain...throw a monkeywrench in my research....

McBain is offline Member
    Just trying to be helpful I apologize for digressing but figured that I should share the info, especially since it seemed like you might be wavering towards Humilin-R. To answer your original question you can get humalog from canadian online pharmacies very easily.

Lift Chief is offline Member
    I would just use humalog bro... it's out of your system fastest, which leaves the least room for error IMO.

You can get humalog at online pharms... it's w/perscription only in the US- it's w/out perscription in canada.

Havvoc is offline Junior Member
    humalin R is a good one

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Nandi is right that the presence of Insulin stops the processing of fat for fuel. This isn't news. Why do you think you stay away from carbs on a diet? But the truth is that if you are planning to use the Humulin R post workout then you are going to be taking in large amounts of carbs that will be used by the muscles along with the protein. You can generally do this effectively for an hour and a half or so after working out. Generally you cause an insulin spike with food after a workout anyway. I really don't change my post cycle meal that much when on Insulin. If you can get humalog then give it a try and compare the two. It is the only way you will know which one works best for you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice guys. But since Humalin R is easily accesible by me, I will try that one first.

Thread Information