adaptations is offline Member

pr otein vs carbs

im starting to beleive that the recomended 2xbody weight for protein is a waist of money. Excess protein just simply goes to wait, so why do we all go through the trouble of taking in 350-500 Gs of protein a day?
    We all spend so much money on powders...and meat meat meat....

I can see if your cutting, and need to maintain Muscle MAss....but for those who are bulking and have a higher metabolism....why dont you stick to 1.5xBW for preotein and up your carbs to about 50%...

this will give you more energy in the gym....
    excess proteing makes you pee, and peeing makes you dehydrated..and dehydration makes you tired.......

Anyone else see eye to eye here??>?
    Last edited by adaptations; 05-06-2003 at 05:09 PM.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    LOL, I am trying this now as a maintain and bulk theory. I have always kept my protein hella high, and I have a slow metabolism. I have a feeling I will get just as big without all that extra fat. No matter where it comes from excess calories turn to fat!!!!!!!!!! I am actually going at about .75-1g per lb. I am going to give this a try, I am not recommending it to anyone yet until I try it for a few months and see but right now it is all in the name of science!!!!

Pain

arby is offline Associate Member
    the reason for this is that carbohydrates elicit an insulin response whereas protein doesn't. i'd rather have fat beyond the carbs used to help the absorption of protein.

FedSki is offline Creator of Cycle Planner
    Personally I'd like to see a qualified dieticians take on this issue.

What makes me worry is that I read that excessive protein is bad for your kidneys.

Originally posted by FedSki
    Personally I'd like to see a qualified dieticians take on this issue.

What makes me worry is that I read that excessive <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> is bad for your kidneys.
    well ill keep it bumped untill they get to it

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    I try to keep my protein intake right around 1g per pound when cycling. any more than that just gives me bad gas...
    as for carbs,,, now that's a battle I fight on a daily basis...

This is an interesting thread, IMO you can never know too much about nutrition so lets hear it fellas,,, what the hell are you guys eating and why?

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    during my winter bulker i kept my protein at about 1.5 grams per lb (300 grams a day, sometimes up to 350) i gained almost 27lbs and kept more than half. so i agree the 500 grams of protein may be excessive, of course those that are prepping for a comp and really want to gain as much as possible can probably eat that much because of the effect steroids have on protein synthesis.

I have read so many conflicting arguments over how much protein you should eat.

Many bodybuilders reckon about 1g - 1.5g per lb each day and around 2g - 2.5g when cycling! So that means a 220lb (100kg) man should consume 220g - 330g of protein per day off cycle and a whopping 440 - 550g while on a cycle!

But dieticians reckon the average man should consume about 0.8g per kg (yes that's kg not lb) per day and guess what - dieticians recommend bodybuilders consume the same, 0.8g per kg per day. Apparantly we tend to use protein more efficiently when training. Any more protein than that is extra stress on the kidneys. So our 220lb (100k) man should consume 80g per day! I'm guessing double that (160g) will be more than enough while on a cycle.

Here's an excerpt from www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com . . .

The RDA represents the minimum amount of protein needed to fulfill protein needs in 97.5% of the population. This value is equal to 0.8 g of protein per kg body weight per day.

We have seen in our lab that individuals undergoing endurance training increase their protein needs to about 1 to 1.2 g per kg per day, well above the RDA. In contrast, for subjects performing resistance exercises or weight lifting, the RDA for protein seems to be adequate. In resistance training, you are building up muscle and protein is used more efficiently.

Muscles are built from protein. Unlike fat cells for fat and muscle or liver for glucose, there is no place in the body to store protein. We need to consume enough protein to allow our muscles to be healthy and perform work.

The typical American diet, as we said earlier, is already providing plenty of protein. There is no value in adding even more protein to that amount, since protein cannot be stored in the body and the excess is eliminated in urine and feces.

When people start consuming too much protein (over 2.0 g/kg/d), the extra protein can become a stressful stimulus for the kidney. This is even more of a concern as we get older and our organs are less efficient and effective.
    Last edited by FedSki; 05-07-2003 at 08:09 AM.

bump

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    b
    u
    m
    p

interesting subject here

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    BUMP that bad boy up............

I can't believe there has been no more interest in this thread. I have just exploded the myth that you need to consume vast amounts of protein to build a huge body! Surely there are those that disagree with the dieticians.

I wonder how many people get pain in their kidneys from eating way too much protein (or should that be 'whey' too much) .
    Last edited by FedSki; 05-08-2003 at 01:49 PM.

i still have interest in this thread...shit i started it...i do beleive you need to eat protein to keep your muscle mas and your musclees healthy but i dont htink you need to over do it....ive eaten 200g a day and ive also bumped it up to 400 a day.....for me i didnt see any type of difference.....except a bloated stomach from the shakes and a dent in my wallet...

i know some others have input on this IFL, IF, Pete....Diesel.....

gundam675 is offline Senior Member
    uhm, number 1 can i ask a question.

is whey ok to use to bump protein besides after your workout.

next, i think 1.5g/lb of bw is enough for cyclin. i currently get that and a ton of water to help flush kidneys. yes i have experienced pain in kidneys be4 at 400 grams, andi will never go back to it, unless i turn into ronnie coleman. i currently consume 300 grams of protein and 700 grams of carbs and 80 grams of fat every day. the fat comes from flax and omega 3 fatty acids, mainly from the fish i eat. i think carbs are equally important ! and btw, to hell with the RDA !

Extreme is offline Associate Member
    I had my protein up too high at one time. I had some pain in my kidneys and went and got checked. My bun levels were throught the roof due to excess protein and stessing my kidneys. I was 190 lbs taking in probably 300g at the time. I dropped my protein intake by 100g and bun dropped back close to normal. Now I am 185lbs and take in 185 -225 g of protein per day and do just fine. Too much protein can be very harmful.

Good, some anecdotal evidence that too much protein is 1. unecessary and 2. potentially harmful.

I'm gonna aim for 200g of protein during my next cycle and around 100g off-cycle. BTW I'm just less than 100k (220lb).

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    you must feed your muscles it helps to use different amounts and see if any at all results.

/ bump

Thread Information