Thread: Testosterone

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor

Post Testosterone

I found this article interesting and thought I would share it.
    *note - if this is in the wrong forum please move it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Science Service, Inc.
    Rats get hooked on testosterone . (degree to which anabolic steroids are addictive is examined)

Teenagers and others looking to sculpt the perfect body often abuse anabolic steroids , compounds that mimic the body's natural hormone testosterone in their ability to promote muscle growth. About a decade ago, scientists suggested that users of the drugs may become addicted to them, much like cocaine or heroin.

Now, for the first time, researchers have shown that rats will self-administer testosterone, one of the traditional signs that a compound is addictive. In one experiment by Luke Johnson of the Yale University School of Medicine and his colleagues, rats that liked either a grape- or an orange-flavored drink gradually switched preference if the less-favored drink was laced with testosterone. In a second test, rats given the choice of two holes quickly learn to place their nose in the one that triggers an infusion of testosterone into their bloodstream via a catheter.

Like other addictive drugs, testosterone and its anabolic relatives may activate pleasure pathways in the brain, although perhaps not to as great an extent, suggest the researchers. "It's not as rewarding as cocaine, obviously," says Johnson.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I knew it wasn't my fault.

freakishlyhuge is offline Junior Member
    well shit why am i wasting money on syrenges when i can just mix it with a little koolaid and call it good.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by freakishlyhuge
    well shit why am i wasting money on syrenges when i can just mix it with a little koolaid and call it good.
    ...better than using a catheter!!

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Yeah Rickson it's not your fault, it is addictive, so like Alcholism it is disease and users should be protected under the Americans with disabilites act, so you can sue if you get fired.

Wasn't there a basketball or football coach who recently got caught in some pictures at a party at the opposing teams college and then claimed he was an alcoholic and that he was wrongly terminated because it is a disease and he was protected by the ADA??

Anyway if it makes you feel good, people will gravitate to it, that's why we have so many darn people on the planet, haha!

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Originally posted by Rickson
    I knew it wasn't my fault.

Me too! Now if I can only get my girl to understand why I feel the need to stick a needle in my ass!

Jarod is offline Associate Member
    "Hello everyone my name is Jarod and I am an addict"

Thread Information