Thread: Middle East

Ammar is offline Senior Member

Middle East

I am of middle eastern decent. I plan on going back to my native Syria in the next few weeks. My question is, is gear available there?? If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. Also, what about Lebanon??

alevok Guest
    they are available in Iran and in Turkey(for sure) probably in Syria as well.

Ok thanks for the reply. Will I have trouble bringing them back if I just tuck them in my luggage and dont claim them??

dizzle is offline Respected Member
    It all depends on how the custom officer checks when you come in. Sometimes they just ask you a question and let you through, or sometimes it's a random full baggage search, or even a body search, so you never know. There's a lot of risk that is taken, including confiscation, fines and/or jail time. Maybe mailing some back to a PO box might be safer. I actually did both when I went I came from Mexico. I mailed and carried some back, both were successul.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't risk it. Syria is probably on the government terrorist watch list and unfortunately your ethnicity will probably subject you to greater scrutiny especially if you are trying to smuggle illegal substances and appear nervous. I'd rather take my chances with the mail as at least there is a degree of deniability.

I was thinking of the same thing guys...thanks for the replies. Couldnt I just lie and tell them I am a diabetic and its just medication for myself??

Jarod is offline Associate Member
    Hey bro, I am going to put this to you bluntly, no politically correct bullshit or anything like that.I am not a RACIST...If you look like you are of middle eastern origin, i.e. Arabic, I know for a fact that customs, and security, are going to be on you like white on rice..And they will emphasize any little thing out of order and make it seem like the world depended on it....

I say this and call this to your attention because I do not want to see you get into trouble either over a technicality and any little matter. So just consider this "food for thought"

I was thinking the same thing so I take no offense Jarod. I honestly dont look arabic at all even though I am 100% Syrian and I was even born over there. I just came when I was about 5 years old so I pretty much spent my whole life here in the states. That is why I think I can bring some back in with me...

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    Yes but even if you don't look arabic they may still search your bags. They definately will look in your carry on. Even flying domestic is a bitch nowadays. Basically are you willing to take a chance of getting busted by customs, detained and interogated. BTW my wife is 1/4 Syrian and the best man in my wedding is Syrian but was born in Lebanon. He and my wife are both Catholic so being Syrian won't automatically target you but with random searches being done you are still taking a greater risk than Id be willing to do.

Dirk D. is offline Junior Member
    I would get some of thoes herbal jars of special ointments for aches and pains, ussally pluged with a rubber stopper/cork. Then, put herbal remedy on the label via the compter. Clean the jar's out with benzo alcohol and some bleach. First, clean them with the benzo for 24hrs to kill everything! then 10 min with bleach, and then rinse with the benxo X2. Then they will be steril and you can pocket them in your coat, then Xfer them to your bag once on board the plane! BE SAFE on the plane bro! Too much crap going down over there adn we want ya back here S A F E!

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Forget that.

My best friend is Syrian (orthodox, in case we ask) and the US customs were all over us.
    To me they were friendly when they saw my military ID, as for him ten million questions.

To mail it back home, NO, Syria is on the bad guys list now, forget it, especially Syrians terrorists were reknown for bombs by the mails.

how long you stay there anyway?

Also if your name is arabic or muslim too....I have a buddy of mine we grew up and went to school together he is american but his background is sicilian and syrian.... his last name is not arabic but to look at him most people think he is...talked to him last week when he picked up his cousin from the airport on leave he said he was hassled and got stared at the whole time he was waiting for him......I think you will all of a sudden be one of those "random' searches and think you are taking a big chance and you might be asking for trouble...

remember gear is schedule III so they can not only confiscate the items but arrest you for trying to bring it in....and are we not on "orange alert" now ........

There was a story on the local news last night where a small fishing boat capsized and the coast guard pulled the 2 men out of water, althougth they did have id on them the coast guard detained them and still called imigration and the local FBI branch.......come to find out the
    are Americans....do you want to guess want race or ethnicity the men were...............................

I think you might be asking for trouble bro....better have thousands set aside for bail and a good attorney if you are going to under take this plan

I think from everyones replies it is not worth trying it. I am orthodox also. My last name is Elias so its pretty much arabic ya know. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Dirk D. is offline Junior Member
    JUST BE S A F E bro! Keep your eyes open and know that some of us who pray will be doing that for your safety!

yeah bro be safe........

thanks again everyone. I appreciate all the responses.

Thread Information