mustang331 is offline Member

HOME GYM AND JUICE?? ANYONE?? ( Help me please )

After buying a new house all by myself @ 23 years old, buying a puppy to be my only friend during the night , and getting into some stupid drugs.. I have not worked out for like 2 months. Here is the deal, I need to get back into it but due to my hours and new puppy, I need to be home as much as possible.. Anyone juice and workout at home? What do I need? How much? And I think I will go with used no matter what seeing as any gym you pay to go to is all used stuff anyway...

I have a spare bedroom I will be using as the room, Will set up mirrors and all..

Here is what I think I need to get

Treamill ( Very important )
    Adjustable Bench olympic,
    Those power weight dumbbells, That u can adjust ( there like 500.00 )
    Squat rack, and some other small stuff..

Anyone got any advice?? Can it work working out at home? What are some pro's and con's

Sorry about how long it is just rambling..

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey bro, i juice and workout at home. The one negative i can say is motivating to workout. I usually workout alone also and its hard to push urself like that IMO. When one of my bros works out with me i can tell a difference in my intensity. I have a power rack and trap bar in one of my spare bedrooms and it works good. U can check out this site for some good equipment and prices....http://www3.mailordercentral.com/yukonfitness/

OG

Derek19yrs is offline Junior Member
    Hey,
    It's possible I workout at home. You just need a cage a bench a lat machine and dumbbells I do legs at my college but my parents are going to get a hack squat machine. You can do it you just have to be creative with you workouts.

Derek

mustang331 is offline Member
    Thanks so far guys, I just don't want to buy it to relize I need something more, ya know don't want to get lazy after 1 month..

billyg68 is offline Junior Member

It's possible

I have a home gym and so far it's been a great decision. Like Derek said, get a cage and lat machine (low and high pulleys), and as many dumbells as you can get for starters. Also, grow the gym little by little or when the need or opportunity arises. At first I bought all of my shit used from a gym that was changing its equipment, and then I bought other stuff when it was possible. There are always bargains going around.

To avoid boredom I did two things. Get some real loud music (gangsta rap or heavy metal), and get somebody serious to workout with you. That makes a world of a difference.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Love to workout at home. If I need a little motivation I pop in an Ultimate Fighting Championship dvd, or watch Ronnie Coleman in, The Unbelievable".

I have a tv down in the gym and it helps sometimes to watch some of the girls on MTV dismissed, makes me want to be in better shape.

NEO-OEN is offline Associate Member
    I hate to admit it but I havent been to the gym in almost 2 months. Ive only been working out at home. I still feel alright but I'll be the first to admit that it just isn't the same, motivation and junk. But it is nice to be able to work out in your underwear..hahah..

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    I do. All my stuff I got at Sports Authority (free )

I have their pro-powercage

commercial bench

lat machine with no change low cable

tbar row set up

homebuilt reverse hyper

about 1000lbs in plates

some dumbell handles

50lbs in galvanized chains

1 set of green bands

8x8 platform with rubber coating on top

midwest power bar

i love it

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Billy_Bathgate
    I do. All my stuff I got at Sports Authority (free )

I have their pro-powercage

commercial bench

lat machine with no change low cable

tbar row set up

homebuilt reverse hyper

about 1000lbs in plates

some dumbell handles

50lbs in galvanized chains

1 set of green bands

8x8 platform with rubber coating on top

midwest power bar

i love it
    You Bastard!

Kayslay is offline New Member
    Bare, Basic & Best: The Hardgainer's Home Gym
    by Alan Daly

When a trainee starts to lift weights for the first time, "iron fever' takes hold, and the would-be Tarzan buys every muscle mag on the newsstand, purchases every supplement he possibly can, and performs almost all the exercises he hears of for endless sets and very frequent workouts. Nightmare!
    Then, by some miracle, the trainee discovers HARDGAINER. Common sense takes over from the muscle- mag madness. The supplements get confined to protein shakes and multi-vits; the workouts are now planned in advance for twice per week only; and only basic, multi-joint exercises are performed for one or two work sets each. The nightmare is over. Then the dream starts to come true.
    The "success" boils down to one thing--simplicity! No complicated routines and exercises. No weird and wonderful training techniques. No expensive and mysterious "wonder" supplements. Instead, just "the basics." Basic exercises--squats, deadlifts, chins, dips, benches, etc. Basic training every four or five days. Basic food--sensible diet of meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, cereals, and pints of semi-skimmed milk and water. And a basic understanding of what "productive" training is all about--not rocket science, not astro physics, but just common sense.
    And that's also the basis for any good home gym: simplicity. If you keep it simple, then you can't go far wrong.
    But how simple? Can you still get good results from even the most basic of gyms?

Paul Anderson, arguably the strongest man of all time, would train using two tractor wheels with an axle connecting them, as his "over-size" barbell. Due to the very large diameter of the wheels, Paul was performing partial squats. He also overhead pressed the same axle. No machines. No power rack. No bench. A farmyard barn, an improvised barbell, and the will to lift. To be truthful, that's all you really need--a barbell, plates and the will to lift.

Read the early issues of HARDGAINER, namely the "Asking Dr. Ken" section. There, in his inspiring "Rise and Fall" stories, Doc Ken reveals how he trained in the deep winter, living in an isolated cabin, while employed cutting logs. Snow and little nourishment--he even resorted to eating cat food, and having rice flavored with toothpaste as his desert--and yet he still trained himself to a very high level of functional strength using only a barbell and 300 pounds of discs. This was the gear that he threw into the back of his pickup truck on his way to the cabin.

By training outdoors, performing high-rep squats and deadlifts, he gained the sort of strength and build that most readers seek. Was his a high-tech gym? I think not!

But for any home-gym devotee, only three things really matter. And they are:
    1. Safety
    2. Safety
    3. Safety

Safety and simplicity. If you keep those two words high on your list of priorities, and repeat them like a mantra, then success will surely find you.

Here's what I have in my home gym. I used to have more gear, but since simplifying it my training has greatly improved. If you can't duplicate the equipment, substitute it with something very similar.

1. A straight bar. Choose 45-mm diameter (or 2 inches if you prefer), designed to take standard plates. This makes for a more economical setup than a bar for Olympic discs. If you can't make/obtain a large-diameter bar, then use a standard one and "upgrade" at a later date.

2. A trap bar (or shrug bar). This is probably the best bar for deadlifting unless you're a powerlifter. If you're a powerlifter, you must deadlift with a straight bar, as this is a very different lift to the trap/shrug bar one.

3. A flat bench. Get a sturdy, bomb-proof, flat bench from a reputable company. It should be welded, with not a bolt in sight. It can have an incline/decline facility, but this is not essential.

4. A weight tree. This will keep the discs together and the gym floor clutter free. Then there's less chance of accidents.

5. Two dumbbells. Spin-lock collars are safe and economical. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need the "extra long" 'bells with expensive "safety" collars. Unless you're a real monster, ordinary dumbbells will more than adequately fit the bill.

6. A cambered squatting bar. This isn't a "must have" but it will improve your desire for squatting by making the movement just a tad more "enjoyable," which is no bad thing.

7. A chinning bar. Weighted pullups and chins are far superior to any type of lat machine pulldown. But because a chinning bar is inexpensive, and chins are harder to perform than lat pulldowns, most trainees give this excellent piece of apparatus a body swerve. Buy a chinning bar, now!

8. A dipping station. This can be two bars placed inside a power rack, or a contraption made from wood or piping, or anything else constructed by yourself or a welder to enable you to perform dips safely. Most novices would rather perform triceps pushdowns on a lat machine, to the far harder, superior and results- producing dips.

9. A padded belt. A "hip belt" of some description, well padded and secure, will enable you to add resistance around your waist for weighted chins and dips. If you want a large and muscular upper body, forget about fancy chrome-plated, expensive, beautifully engineered machines. Just do chins and dips, chins and dips, chins and dips.

10. Heavy-duty hand grippers. Get good quality ones, not the inexpensive sports-shop type with plastic handles and the sort of spring power an invalid aunt could close on her death bed.

11. A power rack/safety squat racks. Both devices allow you to train alone in complete safety. No need for spotters for such exercises as the bench press or squat, and the movements can be trained as partials if so wished.

And that's it, equipment wise. Of course you need to know what to do with the gear, but if you follow what you read in HARDGAINER, you should be fine.

Make sure the gym is well lighted. Don't stumble around in poor light. Try to train in a place that can be well ventilated. Fresh air is good for you. Wooden floors/floorboards protected by rubber mats are the ideal, but not essential. You could use a few old carpets laid on top of each other to protect the flooring. You also need a clock, a training log, a mirror (to observe form), and perhaps some training photos for "inspiration." You get the picture.

As time goes by, what you need for your own home gym will slowly emerge. Just don't go crazy and buy everything you see in the magazines or sports shops. Forget about power belts/briefs/suits, lifting straps, knee wraps, fancy clothing, fancy boots or any of the other bull that makes up the mainstream training world.

Compared to the average and perhaps expensive-to-join gym, yours should be bare, basic and best.

This article is from, I also workout at home.
    http://www.hardgainer.com/articles/28-66.html

Thread Information