Thread: Cardio

Roughneck82 is offline Associate Member

Cardio

My stats 6'2" 252 BF15%, upped my cardio a lot last 2 weeks do to injured rib/lat. my ? Is, what should be my aiming point for hart rate when doing cardio? You hear different things like there is a rate that burns more fat and a rate that is for cardio. Is it all the same , and what really matters is the calories that you burn?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    to burn fat, your heart rate needs to be between 50% and 80% of your max heart rate for a minimum 40 minutes every other day. This is called the sweet spot where you get the greatest "return" for your "investment"

to determine your max heart rate, use the following formula

220 - (your age) = max heart rate

good luck!
    ---Roman

derekkpapa1 is offline Anabolic Member
    The machine tells you how many calories you burn.

That was a joke
    Last edited by derekkpapa1; 07-30-2014 at 10:44 AM.

I'm 31. So between 95-150. I've been doing it right, got to 130 and max out at 154 this morning for 42min. As always thanks Roman

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneck82 View Post
    I'm 31. So between 95-150. I've been doing it right, got to 130 and max out at 154 this morning for 42min. As always thanks Roman
    welcome. you can always do more than the 40 minutes or more frequently than eod, but if time is a premium, and have a lot of other things going on, this combination will do it's job. And it won't take more than a few months before you really notice the reduction in BF%

plus, there are additional benefits to modulating your heart rate within the range as opposed to just keeping it at a constant rate. So maybe hit 95 for 5 minutes, then 150 for a few minutes, then back down to 95, and so forth.......

The program I run is like that but not as drastic. Fluctuates back and forth between 130-154. But I can control it, so for now on I'll widen the the gap between the low and high

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    to burn fat, your heart rate needs to be between 50% and 80% of your max heart rate for a minimum 40 minutes every other day. This is called the sweet spot where you get the greatest "return" for your "investment"

to determine your max heart rate, use the following formula

220 - (your age) = max heart rate

good luck!
    ---Roman
    It's not particularly the greatest ROI but it is the range where calories from fat are burned more. Unfortunately this is only looking at the small picture and doesn't take into account overall calories burned and post exercise thermogenesis which higher intensity cardio is much better at. End of he day the one you do most consistently is the best although higher intensity cardio does have a slight edge.

Ok thanks doc! Can one person do to much cardio? did 50min Sunday, 40min Monday, 42min today, planning on doing an hr tomorrow, because it's back day(injured rib/lat) for me and bro(2iron). Since can't do much was just going to run.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Ok thanks doc! Can one person do to much cardio? did 50min Sunday, 40min Monday, 42min today, planning on doing an hr tomorrow, because it's back day(injured rib/lat) for me and bro(2iron). Since can't do much was just going to run.
    Sure you could overdo it but if you cut down on your lifting some youd probably be hard pressed to overdo it. Personally I hate all cardio except for sex lol so I bought a prowler or push sled. Works great for conditioning, endurance, strength and fat loss. I highly recommend it. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Are you going to cut while injured, just maintain work capacity, try to maintain what you have, etc?

When I want to cut fat I go on a low dose Test Prop cycle (250mg/wk) and I do a crossfit type of a workout for half an hour combined with my regular lifting. My heart rate gets up to 90%+ during peak cycle. I just get bored doing 80% for 45min. I can't really put out more energy than 90%+ for more than half an hour.

At the end of lean mass gain got this week and next, then going to start my own TRT since couldn't find a dr. Mostly maintain what I got. And never hurts to lean out more right now at 15%. I posted pics in member pic section. Trying to get in and due bod pod. But only place around here is local university and they only due during semester. Also just trying to fill in gap time at gym. Don't want to get out of routine. We go at 3:45 am to gym then go work in the oil fields

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard02 View Post
    When I want to cut fat I go on a low dose Test Prop cycle (250mg/wk) and I do a crossfit type of a workout for half an hour combined with my regular lifting. My heart rate gets up to 90%+ during peak cycle. I just get bored doing 80% for 45min. I can't really put out more energy than 90%+ for more than half an hour.
    I used to do Brazilian ju-jitu that was an intense work, great cardio, but again injury set me back

I loved the BJJ workouts. The only problem is that I've done stand up for more than 35 years. The workout was great but I was getting my _SS kicked every class by guys I out weighed by 50lbs. It was very humbling. Still, awesome martial art.

That's how first injury started told coach who I out weighted by 50lbs let's roll! He said ok muscle's let's go! He drove his knee so hard into my ribs couldn't breath right for a few weeks

2iron is offline Associate Member
    Yeah the bbbjcims one of my all time favorites lol

bhmyers1968 is offline Junior Member
    Im 46, so my range would be from 87 (50%) to 139 (80%) and I need to maintain this range for an average of 45 min EOD? Im going to start wearing a heart monitor to see where I fall. Im having trouble dropping BF! I started running first thing in the morning prior to eating to try and use reserves as energy, I did 4K's this morning and will progressively step it up. I need to do something different that's fun and I get a good cardio workout.

never hurts to lean out more right now at 15%. I posted pics in member pic section.
    You need to cut your calories lower if you want to reduce body fat %.

Thread Information