Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By RangerDanger830
  • 1 Post By Joco71
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: The what, which, why, and how of AIs.

RangerDanger830 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have browsed this forum and found no thorough explanation of Aromatase Inhibitors, otherwise known as an AI. Since I have been reading these forums I have seen many people neglect to use an AI on cycle, or be irresponsibly untimely with their dosing. If I leave anything out feel free to add, but the focus is to shed some light on the mechanism of action of an AI, not to regurgitate common knowledge.

What is Aromatase? Let us start with what Aromatase is. Pretty much anything in the world of science that ends with -ase is an enzyme. Other names for Aromatase are estrogen synthetase or the more common estrogen synthase. There may be exceptions to the -ase rule but I have not come across any yet.

So what is an enzyme? All enzymes are proteins but not all proteins are enzymes. This just means that an enzyme is yet another long chain of amino acids. What makes this chain different from other amino acid chains is that enzymes catalyze a reaction. In scientific terms they lower a reaction's activation energy, or the minimum energy required for a reaction to occur. By lowering activation energy in a particular reactant or group of reactants an enzyme is able to make the reaction occur much faster and easier than otherwise. It actually just offers an alternate pathway for a reaction to occur but we just say it lowers activation energy for simplicity's sake. In short, an enzyme speeds up reactions in our bodies and makes them occur more often. There have been some series of reactions that have been found to be over two billion times faster than they would have occurred with particular enzymes. Not all are that fast but most have no problem catalyzing thousands of reactions a minute.

Now that we know what an enzyme does let us focus on the specific reactions that Aromatase catalyzes. Aromatase is found in the endoplasmic reticulum of various cells in our bodies and primarily converts androgens to estrogens. This enzyme is found in many parts of our bodies to include skin, bone, blood vessels, brain, and even adipose tissues. It is found in many other places but the most important one you need to note here is the adipose tissue, aka body fat. The more body fat you have the more likely you are to have larger amounts of Aromatase in your body which in turn would increase your estrogen levels. Androgens and estrogens, for those of you new to this area, are sex hormones that regulate your sex specific functions and growth to put it simply. Hopefully you know this if you are looking at a cycle.

How does Aromatase work? Aromatase is controlled by a promoter gene, just like the other processes in your bodies. The promoter gene is in turn regulated by many other factors that aren't worth getting into here. When the promoter gene is on, which it usually always is, then Aromatase is busy at work converting androgens to estrogens. More specifically, it converts testosterone to estradiol and androstenedione to estrone. Both are estrogens and neither are great for the common bodybuilder and AAS user. Both estrone and estradiol contribute to the common negative effects that we see discussed on these forums in men such as gynocomastia and erectile dysfunction. It is also important to note that certain estrone molecules can also be converted into estradiol molecules, which is the most potent form of estrogen. Not that either aren't nasty for men in large amounts. To quote Zhou et al, "Aromatase, a cytochrome P450, synthesizes estrogens by catalyzing three consecutive hydroxylation reactions converting C19 androgens to aromatic C18 estrogenic steroids " (1996). What these guys are saying is that first cholesterol, yes nasty cholesterol (cholesterol is actually necessary for good health in moderation), gets converted into pregnenolone, reaction numero uno. Then pregnenolone is converted into progesterone, that would make number two. And lastly, progesterone is then converted through various other reactions to be eventually converted into androgens. Then Aromatase comes by and turns those androgens to estrogens mentioned above. This is again oversimplified as I am sure I have lost your interest by now.

So what are inhibitors? An inhibitor is a molecule that binds to a specific enzyme to slow down the rate of reactions in the body. This is usually regulated by your body through various negative feedback systems, but in our case is regulated also by our intake of inhibitors like arimidex . There are two ways an inhibitor can prevent an enzyme from doing its job. It can bind non-covalently to the enzyme's active site, or they can bond covalently to the enzyme's allosteric site. These have alternate names such as active and passive inhibition but I cannot think of the others at the moment. If a particular inhibitor binds to an enzyme's active site then the process is reversible, meaning the inhibitor can detach and the enzyme can resume normal function eventually. If the inhibitor binds to the allosteric site of the enzyme then the enzyme changes shape permanently and is disabled. Although there are many exceptions to this rule as is with all rules, nothing in life can be simple can it? Think of enzymes as puzzle pieces that are meant to fit only into the pieces of certain molecules. When you change the enzyme's shape then you render that particular function useless. Structure always equals function in biology. Keep in mind that there are also other molecules that can bind to enzymes to make them work better.

Putting it all together, Aromatase Inhibitors Anastrozole, my favorite AI, binds to the Aromatase's active site, which is reversible, via competitive inhibition. Competitive inhibition means that whoever gets there first wins in layman's terms. The more Anastrozole you flood your body with the higher the chances of it binding to the Aromatase before the androgens get there. Letrozole , which is the most powerful AI I have encountered to date, works in a similar fashion. Letro also inhibits competitively and reversibly. Yes, Exemestane works the same way as well. It is important to note that these commonly used AIs are binding to the active site reversibly because that tells us once we stop taking these particular AIs we will soon restart the process of synthesizing estrogen in greater amounts.

The theory of estrogen rebound comes from the idea that your body will detect low amounts of functioning Aromatase after it is no longer inhibited and will try to overcompensate by producing more enzymes to produce more estrogen. I find this is not something that is as serious as we might think because the same negative feedback systems will usually regulate our estrogen levels once they become too high under normal conditions. Just be careful with strong AIs like Letro or high doses.

So in short, take your AI on cycle religiously because more AAS usually means more androgen and therefore more estrogens in the presence of uninhibited Aromatase. If there has been any information I missed or am mistaken on feel free to add to it, it has been awhile since I have dealt with enzymes professionally and I do not do my best work at night. Below is my lonely reference, the list is short as most of this is common knowledge among biologists.

Identification of a Promoter That Controls Aromatase Expression in Human Breast Cancer and Adipose Stromal Cells
    Last edited by RangerDanger830; 10-27-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    gold43, Joco71, Kramer33 and 2 others like this.

Joco71 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting I know more about what and y than I did 10 minutes ago.
    RangerDanger830 likes this.

Then it was worth it.

Deal Me In is offline Member
    Ranger, first, thanks for the great post. I have question.

We see people on here everyday complaining about nasty side effects of the hormones they are using. I'm thinking particularly of ED, which seems to have come up a lot lately. I believe that a vast majority of the side effects reported here are not from the AAS per se, but from not controlling estrogen. This is based on the numerous reports I see here of people who report numerous negative side effects coupled with no AI.

This is also based on personal experience. I know when I was younger and new to this I didn't properly control my estrogen. My experience while on was not as positive as it is now. Now, 8 years later, the only time I get bad sides is with Tren . I believe this is because I have become much better at controlling E2. Because of this, my experience with AAS now is always positive. My quality of life is great and sense of well being is awesome.

Do you have any thoughts on this theory?

Well I'm inclined to agree that a lot of side effects guys see are from estrogen being too high or too low depending on their AI dosing. There's a lot if other issues known to cause ED also such as obesity, cholesterol, or pelvic artery issues, and mental problems.

Controlling estrogen us easy if you get the mid cycle bloodwork but a shot in the dark without it. But the sides are still from the AAS technically, since they're the ones raising estrogen.

Most steroids don't have bad sides though as long as you keep that E2 in line. I'd be more thorough but I'm on my phone at work.

Read me, take your AIs.

Strongblood is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDanger830
    Read me, take your AIs.
    I am currently on a Test prop 50 mg ed and Tren Ace 75 mg ed cycle. I ran out of arimedex Monday and it's going to be next week before I can get more. I feel ok now and have never had a problem with increased estrogen. And before I became more educated on estrogen, I only took arimedex when I thought about it, while on cycle or off. But now I understand the importance of controlling estrogen. My question is, can I say quarter up these lethro pills and take a quarter of a pill every other day until I get some more arimedex?

Letro will work in stead of adex given you use an appropriate dose by understanding what you need and how powerful letro is. They're fairly quick acting so switching between them on cycle is feasible. It's just not really recommended for people who don't have their AI doses dialed in with both AIs. But it seems you don't have much of a choice.

These are things you gotta know before jumping into a cycle. Running out of an AI is a quick way to get nasty sides and that's no bene. Definitely keep on top of the blood work and maintain manageable estrogen levels.

Strongblood is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDanger830
    Letro will work in stead of adex given you use an appropriate dose by understanding what you need and how powerful letro is. They're fairly quick acting so switching between them on cycle is feasible. It's just not really recommended for people who don't have their AI doses dialed in with both AIs. But it seems you don't have much of a choice. These are things you gotta know before jumping into a cycle. Running out of an AI is a quick way to get nasty sides and that's no bene. Definitely keep on top of the blood work and maintain manageable estrogen levels.
    Thank you Ranger. Yes I can't believe I allowed myself to run out of something half way through a cycle. But I am supposed to get more Adex this evening. So I'm gonna hold off on the letro until then. Hopefully I can get right back on the Adex and not have to worry about the dosage and strength of the letro. But again, I certainly appreciate your help regarding this. Have a great weekend and be well.

You're welcome

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Paragraphs man! I got bitch tits trying to read that...lol

Kidding, nice write up!
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience
    Paragraphs man! I got bitch tits trying to read that...lol Kidding, nice write up!
    I didn't even know it was missing them. I put them in on my phone. I'll get on the pc and fix it later

Added paragraphs back, I am not sure what happened there. It was all messed up.

derekkpapa1 is offline Anabolic Member
    Great job ranger

bloodchoke is offline Member
    I didnt learn anything about Artificial Intelligence here..

JK -- Thanks Ranger!

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Nice write up, kinda what Swifto covered about AIs' in the stickies. I think the bigger problem for most users is dialing in there AI and without proper BW it is sort of a guess besides following the standard dosing guidelines which can vary per individual. Even with results from BW you are still experimenting a bit to get it right.....the hope is that members realize that it doesn't take much AI to make a significant change.
    festaasinrot likes this.

Thread Information