Thread: Cortisol 101

Nathan is offline Retired Moderator

Cortisol 101

I posted in this on EF a while back and thought I'd share cause I have nothing better to do...

Cortisol 101

Cortisol is a steroid hormone, specifically a glucocorticoid, that is synthesized in the adrenal cortex . Its release is triggered mainly by stress, for instance by the stress from lifting weights or that from an increase in temperature or that from someone pulling your pants down in public (I don't like that). It seems to be released, however, in the greatest concentration in the time just after waking up in the morning.

The mechanism by which cortisol is released is pretty straightforward. First, the hypothalamus releases corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) which then travels directly to the pituitary gland (anterior part) stimulating it, in turn, to release adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH). ACTH is then circulated in the blood to the adrenal cortex which is told by the ACTH to release cortisol.

Cortisol has many functions in the body, mainly it effects metabolism though. The function probably of most concern to us is that it increases gluconeogenesis (breakdown of protein to form more glucose) by increasing the release of amino acids from stores of protein (not in the liver) which are then carried to the liver to be converted to glucose. Another purpose of cortisol is to increase fatty acid mobilization from adipocytes (which is good news) to try to make the body utilize more fatty acids and less glucose for energy. Also, cortisol inhibits the immune system, regulates blood pressure, decreases inflammation, and acts in negative feedback loops to slow the production of CRH and ACTH.

Cortisol is actually not essential to life but is instead a hormone used to help us deal with our environments better and to be able to cope better with whatever situations may arise.

Did ya learn anything new?

CYCLEON Guest
    thanks for posting this over here nathan - great post!

did you see the one where they were talking about GHB blocking CRH!!! thats why people feel addicted after continual use - they feel uber anxiety after discontinuation but it oly lsts for a few days - thats why its hard to get off. that means more GHB to block cortisol next cycle!!!

Thread Information