Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member

Need help with Fina Filtering

Bro's I am having a hell of a time trying to filter my fina. I don't under stand how you can get the needle on the whatman filter once the what man is on the syringe? And am I the only one that gets some fina on your hands by the time that Iam done filtering. I just tried to filter my fina to a .25 after I saw some thing floating in the final product, and I had to stop because it would have taken my for ever. And yes I did warm up the vial in hot water.??

Whoisdaman is offline Senior Member
    One side of the whatman connects to the syringe and the other side connects to the needle. I can't really see where you could go wrong on that part.

And you get fina on your hands? I do after I am done filtering and disconnect the whatman from the needle, then all of the nasty guck spews out of the top. But from the vial, to the syringe/whatman, to the clean vial none of the fina should touch your skin.

Did you read the directions online?

Yes, one side of the whatman is threaded and the other is smooth...All the needles I have ever seen are threaded into the sheelth that they come in. So you would have to untwist them from the sheelth with the syringe.?

Bro, the wattman goes between the needle and the body of the syringe!

Look:

Red

Can see your pic, but yes I understand that...

Also you want to use a 10cc syringe when filtering, and NOT a 3cc one.

The reason is simple, you WANT to filter very slowly. If you try to go fast, you might push crap passed the filter, which is "not a good thing".

A 10cc is nice and slow and doesn't produce too much pressure on the filter. A 3cc syringe on the other hand will produce a tremendous pressure on the filter (thats when you get crap getting thru, needles flying off, fina spraying everywhere...)

It's basic hydraulics... large diameter piston = low pressure, small diameter piston = high pressure. High pressure = not good for filter.

(I know this may not have anything to do with your original question, but it's a random tidbit of usefull information )

Red

Thread Information