john004 is offline Associate Member

losing fat while bulking?

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but is it possible to lose or maintain your current body fat while on a bulking cycle. The reason i think this is a stupid question because im not sure if what your eating is giving you the extra fat, or just tarritory for a bulking cycle. Everyone's results i have seen from a bulking cycle have gained atleast a couple % in body fat.. just a curious question.

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    You should bulk and then cut.

You could try to maintain your current BF by a strick diet, but you will not gain as much mass as you would with just bulking.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    if you are truly bulking, then you should gain some fat. how much depends on diet, but you should gain at least a little

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    bulking cycles are for exactly that and cutting cycles are for exactly that as well. So if u are bulking and eating right expect some fat, and expect to lose some if cutting

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    this is straight from the big kev rule book: you can either bulk, or you can cut. but you cannot do both at the same time.

The Iron Game Guest
    It is a waste of time trying to add on muscle and lose bodyfat at the same time. It can be done but it goes against quite a few principles.

To add weight you need calorie surplus
    To lose weight you need calorie deficit

How can you do both at the same time? It will result in not as much muscle being added.

hardasnails1973 is offline New Member
    Unfortunately I disagree Big Kev.
    Because i'm a prime example. Before contest time about 16 weeks out when I start I'm about 215 at 6-7% bf after 16 weeks I'm ready to step on stage at 200-205 at 3-4% so if you do the math when I hit my peak of my contest prep I'l about 230 atsame body fat if not even lower !! Another prime example is kevin leverone. Hes about 225 offseason and comes into contes about 235 shredded and takes 3 place at olmpia. Do the math!! 225 at 6% to 235 at 2-3 %. THis is the idea if you are a BB you don;t care what you look like offseason. Its what you look like on stage that matters. Reason why i save my receptors for my contests and still don;t look that out of shape offseason! So kevin I would have to throw that rule out the window.

And here is reason why my good friend who writes for t-mag, got me to eat more calories then ever had

Right now I'm at 5100-5300 caloires and only doing 15 minutes of cardio post work out on training days and my weight has not budged by i'm getting leaner.

read his artciles
    www.t-mag.com

appetite for construction and massive eating part 1 and part 2 and no diet. hes alomst a Ph D and will be considred the nect dan duchaine !! MARK MY WORDS ON IT

BIG KEV PM ME !!!!

yiyangzhi is offline New Member
    Its possible to gain lean muscle mass while dropping bf, without contradicting each other. Testosterone increases fat free mass, and decreases fat mass. With anti-estrogens, estrogenic fat deposits are avoided.

MUSTANG_18 is offline Associate Member
    Generally a true bulking cycle is a high cal diet in which you may add some body fat and if you are following that then it is very unlikely that you will add muscle while dropping your body fat. It IS possable to gain muscle while dropping your bnody fat as I have done it BUT it all comes down to your diet, not what kind of compounds you use in the cycle.

M18

The Iron Game Guest
    No one is saying it cannot be done.

To all those who do it: how do you know you are not restricting muscle gains due to restriction of calories? You dont

Psycoswole is offline Member
    Sure it can be done, but the problem is your not MAXIMIZING muscle gain. Its better to pinpoint your focus on one or the other IMO

yiyangzhi is offline New Member
    Both the diet and the exogenous drugs used are important to build muscle mass and drop bf. Diet alone(natural) will not do the job for long.

gregster is offline Junior Member
    Don't worry about the fat bro!!!

I've found in the past trying to keep the same % of b/f whilst bulking is not worth the effort, youll only slow your progress. Your lean mass will also increase and this is what bulking is all about.

The fat comes hand in hand with bulking so its best to forget about and concentrate on gaining.

I waisted so much time trying to stay lean whilst bulking- eat like a horse and leave the cutting for another time.

Ron C is offline New Member

Try eating calorie dense foods

Eat plenty of these foods: nat. peanut butter, red meat, whole eggs, whole milk, and plenty of protien shakes throughout the day. I found out the hard way that's it's almost impossible to put on quality size while eating low-fat turkey, chicken, and egg whites. Also, starkist has a wonderful tuna, it's calles tuna select and comes in olive oil-i eat mine straight out of the can. If you want size then eat the "good" fat foods and protiens in abundance. They will fill you up the same way as the healthy stuff, but you will get the needed extra calories.

chaos mage is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Game
    It is a waste of time trying to add on muscle and lose bodyfat at the same time. It can be done but it goes against quite a few principles.

To add weight you need calorie surplus
    To lose weight you need calorie deficit

How can you do both at the same time? It will result in not as much muscle being added.
    True, but in the end I guarantee with proper macro ratios and food timing on point... one would look much better at the conclusion of the cycle if already fairly lean to begin with... I guess your present bf% will dictate your path... I did a cycle like this and went from 11%bf to 7% while adding 12 lbs... and I looked much better than If I gained 20lbs of lbm with even a little fat...

the dent depot is offline Senior Member
    Dude...you just replied to a comment from 12-21-2001

But thats cool...just dont do it to get your post count up...

Peace

D

MR.BICEPS is offline Junior Member
    Your not going to get big eating cans of tuna all day long with no fat!

Yes you can bulk some and lose fat a little but its not going to be nearly as dramatic if you dont put all your eggs into one basket. Get the picture?

Thread Information