RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member

Effects of Anabolic Steroids on Lean Body Mass

Found this article on research done on AIDS patients. I thought I would share it.

In subjects taking either oral or parenteral anabolic steroids , weight gain occurs because of enhanced synthesis of protein, which is secondary to stimulation of anabolic receptors in muscle cells. However, some of the weight gain associated with their use is the result of retention of sodium and water.
    The effects of anabolic steroids on protein synthesis and nitrogen balance are most evident in hypogonadal men, prepubertal males, and women. In eugonadal men, anabolic steroids produce only a brief period of positive nitrogen balance and no lasting effect on protein synthesis and muscle mass.

Much of what is known about the effects of anabolic steroids has been derived from anecdotes and observational studies. Most of the use of these drugs has been clandestine, and very little controlled research has been done on these compounds.

In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of nandrolone decanoate in 29 patients undergoing dialysis, the outcomes measured were weight, LBM, fatigue, grip strength, walking and stair-climbing times, and treadmill performance.[13] Either nandrolone decanoate, 100 mg, or placebo was administered once a week for 3 to 6 months. Lean body weight increased by an average of 4.5 kg (9.9 lb) in the drug group (P < .001 compared with baseline weights), whereas the increase in lean body weight in the placebo group was an average of 1.9 kg (4.2 lb). However, average gain in total body weight was similar in the 2 groups (1.8 kg [4 lb] and 1.4 kg [3 lb], respectively), whereas the decrease in fat content was 2.4 kg (5.3 lb) in the drug group versus 0.4 kg (0.9 lb) in the placebo group. Thus, the patients receiving nandrolone decanoate lost fat and gained LBM, but the patients receiving placebo displayed very little change in fat and LBM. An increase in the average serum level of creatinine was additional evidence suggesting that the patients receiving nandrolone decanoate had achieved an increase in muscle mass. Also, various parameters of functional assessment showed improvement in the drug group.[13]

Why the patients who received placebo experienced weight gain is not known. However, it is a confounding variable that must be taken into consideration in the design of studies of testosterone and the anabolic steroids.

As might be expected, the serum levels of testosterone , FSH, and LH decreased significantly in the patients receiving nandrolone decanoate. This effect occurs because testosterone and the anabolic steroids act on the same receptors in various tissues. Therefore, nandrolone decanoate provided a negative feedback on either the hypothalamus or the pituitary gland, which suppressed the release of FSH and LH.

In a similar, recently reported AIDS Clinical Trials Group study, 33 HIV-positive women with wasting received nandrolone decanoate, 100 mg, every 2 weeks (n = 16) or placebo (n = 17) for 12 weeks.[14] Baseline weight, body composition, and energy intake did not differ between groups. All 16 women receiving the steroid experienced significant increases in weight and LBMcompared with those receiving placebo. Median weight gain was 4.6 kg (10.2 lb) versus 0.1 kg (0.2 lb), respectively (P < .001), and mean LBMincrease was 3.5 kg (7.7 lb) versus 20.4 kg (20.9 lb) (P < .001). Changes in fat did not differ between groups.

AIDS Read 11(3):149-156, 2001. © 2001 Cliggott Publishing, Division of SCP Communications

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Steroids work. I knew I was right.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Rickson
    Steroids work. I knew I was right.
    Actually I thought the fact that fat loss was aprox 1/2 of mass gained was interesting. I noticed loss of fat but I didn't even notice it was that dramatic.

Also 1/2 the amount caused 1 1/2 the results in women.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Well consider these people probably weren't trained athletes so you start them on cardio and weight training throw in some deca and it isn't all that suprising. I am sure you had much less fat and much more lean muscle mass then any of these people even before taking AAS. It is interesting to see how effective moderate dosages and training can be.

The Butcher is offline Member

Re: Effects of Anabolic Steroids on Lean Body Mass

Originally posted by RON

Why the patients who received placebo experienced weight gain is not known. However, it is a confounding variable that must be taken into consideration in the design of studies of testosterone and the anabolic steroids .

What are your thoughts on that? With such a seemingly small amount of weight gain (I think it was 4 pounds or so, yes?), and the fact that diet and workouts are so hard to keep track of (and to make people stick to if they are untrained beforehand), it would seem that it would be very difficult to find statistical significance in this study. I understand that they are using averages, and that lends itself to significance, but it seems like there are so many outside factors that could affect something like weight gain that it could just be coincidence.

Farm boy is offline Junior Member
    great post!

Thread Information