Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By InternalFire
  • 1 Post By krugerr
  • 1 Post By marcus300

Thread: how long do u lift for????

how long do u lift for????

curious to find out how long people lift weights for? ive read its best to keep it at 45mins max because after that cortisol kicks in high and ruins gains...dont know the science behind it but have read a few articles...

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I don't know about the cortisol but these days it's been 45-1hr I've changed up my routine to less sets and exercises I do enjoy the gym but I think I was over training for a long time with 2hr lifts now iam trying to focus my energy around that 45 minutes of the day and hit it hard and fast..

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    30 to 45 min and done.I was doing the 5x5 for a couple weeks.But its too much time.

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    During prep Between training,cardio, tanning about 2hrs.

Normal training probably about an hr. Very intense

Savanimal is offline New Member
    Roughly 1-2 hours, usually do 20-45min of running before I lift

Scorpion0922 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Actual weight training is about a half hour.

Leg day may take a little longer.

I do fasted cardio in the morning and am in offeason so no PM cardio right now.

Which is fine with me so I can get outta there as fast as possible...whole damn place is packed with kids f-ing texting in the late afternoon/evening. I swear some kid is this close to coming up to me and say "hey, uhhh can you buy is some beer?"

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    Cardio fasted no more than 30 minutes on high intensity now, and HIT workout always trying to cap in under 45min and less, too much inroad to recovery if taken longer, thats my case

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Not counting cardio.

30-40 tops.

i do 45-55mins tops.... stay under 1 hr. avoid the cortisol rush.

Jaakoppi is offline Junior Member
    Mine takes approx. 1 hour MAX.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    If I'm just lifting, 30-40 mins very intense and to failure on my last set. If I'm trying to cut or get my cardio up, I will do like a tabata style workout where I will finish up my exercise and then do 2-4 minutes of high intensity cardio between each lift. That will turn my workout into about an hour, or so.

I really like this now because I can get my Cardio in and it doesn't seem mundain or boring.
    InternalFire likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    If I'm just lifting, 30-40 mins very intense and to failure on my last set. If I'm trying to cut or get my cardio up, I will do like a tabata style workout where I will finish up my exercise and then do 2-4 minutes of high intensity cardio between each lift. That will turn my workout into about an hour, or so.

I really like this now because I can get my Cardio in and it doesn't seem mundain or boring.
    I hit audio-books while on cardio so I can get trough it while mentally being away from it
    Scabtree likes this.

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneMuscle
    I hit audio-books while on cardio so I can get trough it while mentally being away from it
    ... fvck that's pure genius. Stealing this!

<OS_xpc_array: <array: 0x760bd0> { count = 1, capacity = 8, contents =
    0: <pointer: 0x71be90>: 0x499ae20
    }>
    InternalFire likes this.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    +1 for audiobooks not just during cardio, but my commute as well.

I lift about an 70-80 mins, a little longer on leg day.

Over on BB dot com, Layne Norton just did a piece (maybe a week ago) on cortisol and the length of workouts... He seems to say lift as long as you want it doesn't really matter.

I've lifted longer, but honestly I sort a half ass it after about 70 minutes.

Off season, I lift for 60min each session with 20mins of cardio. When I'm training seriously, I lift for 90mins to 100mins and do little to no cardio. It's sorta backwards from normal BB training but it works for me. When I train 3 consecutive days and take 1 day off I have enough time to recover and can continue to train hard. I read about the cortisol thing but I never really paid much attention to it. World class wrestlers train for hours at a time and so do just about any other type of serious athletes, like bike racers and tri-athletes. They are able maintain strength and tremendous endurance. I see the same thing in serious bodybuilders. I personally can train hard for 3 days without experiencing over training. I think each individual has to find their sweet spot when it comes to training. Our genetics are different so each of us tend to be able to take different training intensities.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep_It_Moving View Post
    curious to find out how long people lift weights for? ive read its best to keep it at 45mins max because after that cortisol kicks in high and ruins gains...dont know the science behind it but have read a few articles...
    3-4 days per week. 45 min to 1 hour. On leg days sometimes I run over an 1hr but not much.

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Considering my schedule, time is of the essence. Need to get in and out, probably 45-60min.

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    to me its all about having a good time because i enjoy this shit, so i prefer 2 hours for my fun musclegroups, like arms, chest and back. I dont care if i would grow more if i left the gym n music and girls after 30 minutes.

But i also dont likt to train the day after. If i finish in 30 minutes i migth traoin the next day

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    One body part every 7-10 days, lifting time extremely intense for no more than 45mins.
    InternalFire likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    One body part every 7-10 days, lifting time extremely intense for no more than 45mins.
    that's how I starting to see my future workouts, training HIT leaves me no other choice, otherwise I can only train for so long before completely burning out, having drop in performance and have nothing left in a tank just a down-time which aint good

Thread Information