Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: BUN and creatinine test

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member

BUN and creatinine test

Was a little elevated on my BUN and creatinine. I was taking creatine unknowingly in preworkout, protein and other supplements. I have been 6 weeks without any supplements ( including vitamins). I am going to get tested again. I did change my diet 2 weeks ago and I am eating 200 gms /day of red meat. Will this have a negative effect on the bw test?
    I also read that you should not have strenious exercise 2 days before the Bw. I trained legs today and really want to train tomorrow and go get the test in the afternoon. Will there be an elevated reading because of this?

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Was a little elevated on my BUN and creatinine. I was taking creatine unknowingly in preworkout, protein and other supplements. I have been 6 weeks without any supplements ( including vitamins). I am going to get tested again. I did change my diet 2 weeks ago and I am eating 200 gms /day of red meat. Will this have a negative effect on the bw test?
    I also read that you should not have strenious exercise 2 days before the Bw. I trained legs today and really want to train tomorrow and go get the test in the afternoon. Will there be an elevated reading because of this?
    Bun and creatinine is basically based on muscle break down. And hydration.

If you really want an accurate reading. Take a week off the gym and re test. Most of the time high reading are nothing to worry about in this game.

How high was your test
    almostgone likes this.

BUN 36
    Creatinine 1.49

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    Im always high in creatinine. Got something to do with the training. But when i used 1200 mg NAC it was in range

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silabolin View Post
    I'm always high in creatinine. Got something to do with the training. But when i used 1200 mg NAC it was in range
    Creatinine is usually high, or slightly elevated on ppl with higher muscle mass. Mine is always 1.3 or 1.4, my BMI is 30, whats yours?
    NAC effects are on liver, can't think how it would affect kidneys...

Charger, no new blood work?
    almostgone and Bodacious like this.

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Creatinine is usually high, or slightly elevated on ppl with higher muscle mass. Mine is always 1.3 or 1.4, my BMI is 30, whats yours?

Yes i know. But i swear to God, the only time when my creatinin was in range, was when i was using 1200 mg NAC ed.

My creatinin was 126 (70-120), BMI i dont know, 181 cm, 112-120 kg. Fat 16-20%

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    My creatinine was always over 1.5, at one time it had krept to 1.9 almost 2.0...thats when i started backing off a little. BUN was high aways.. also. Doc said i was stage 1 kidney disease i was like no way i read up and read its just the more mass u carry the higher the numbers, you will need to monitor it like everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    My creatinine was always over 1.5, at one time it had krept to 1.9 almost 2.0...thats when i started backing off a little. BUN was high aways.. also. Doc said i was stage 1 kidney disease i was like no way i read up and read its just the more mass u carry the higher the numbers, you will need to monitor it like everything else
    Cuz, both creatinine and BUN elevated are dangerous.

Yes creatinine is higher the more mass you carry, and your kidneys may need more time to filter it out. But BUN is not related to muscle mass, it is waste from protein digestion. So yes, it is indicative of kidney disease. The higher the values, the higher the stage of kidney disease, usually not reversible.
    Cuz and DocToxin8 like this.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Cuz, both creatinine and BUN elevated are dangerous.

Yes creatinine is higher the more mass you carry, and your kidneys may need more time to filter it out. But BUN is not related to muscle mass, it is waste from protein digestion. So yes, it is indicative of kidney disease. The higher the values, the higher the stage of kidney disease, usually not reversible.
    Right, the BUN i figured was coming mostly from my over eating and too many protein shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Right, the BUN i figured was coming mostly from my over eating and too many protein shakes.
    Yeah, but you want to make sure of it. Take lower protein for a couple of weeks and retest, its actually what I told charger to do but his doc decided on 6 weeks

DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    We got different units here,
    but my creatinine is usually elevated, often at 107-110 and upper reference range is 105 or something. So it's a little elevated and nothing to worry about.
    (Remember that creatinine is a breakdown product of creatine, and your muscles are full of creatine phosphate (+ADP) / creatine (+ATP), Creatine is a phosphate donor to ADP.)
    BUN has never been high though. That needs to be rechecked.
    I say again, even during cycle; BUN was well below maximum range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB
    Yeah, but you want to make sure of it. Take lower protein for a couple of weeks and retest, its actually what I told charger to do but his doc decided on 6 weeks
    Went today to get the new bw. I am concerned about the working out and effects on the results. Dr said I was good to go for the test.

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    BUN elevation usually dehydration. If creatinine still elevated with normal BUN on retest urine test to check for protein helpful. If elevated creatinine (above normal range) and protein in urine, get checked out. Can also have spot microalbumin run to check for protein, all inexpensive tests easily done at any office, clinic or lab.

Totally bummed.
    Same exact readings as 6 weeks ago.
    Test 171
    Bun 36
    Creatinine 18

I just completed a study that my supps do not effect BUN, creatanine, or test. Lost for my next actions. Waiting on doc that i think could take some courses from people on this site.
    Started just trying to get TRT.

TRT has nothing to with this problem, you should have started it long ago imo.

You might want to add ranges for ppl that are used to it.

Think you are past your gp and this forum, sorry but you need a nephrologist.

And to be totally blunt you should not think of bodybuilding competitions anymore (hope im wrong).
    Cuz likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    TRT has nothing to with this problem, you should have started it long ago imo.

You might want to add ranges for ppl that are used to it.

Think you are past your gp and this forum, sorry but you need a nephrologist.

And to be totally blunt you should not think of bodybuilding competitions anymore (hope im wrong).
    Sadly, this is the reason why i stopped my run with competing

OP this isnt the end. You can still train and enjoy the lifestyle. I would not run big cycles anymore if i were you.

Best of luck op

Ps dont know if you listed your supps you were running i will have to check that had no affect on test, creatinine and bun levels

TjmAble is offline Junior Member

True, people who are training and have improved muscle mass have higher creatinine levels but thats not to worry about, its more likely elevated from too much protein that you are eating, you can decrease the numbers though with lots of water, you should be worried ONLY if Urine is elevated, I have for example 17,84 creatinine cause of kidney failure but the doctors aren't looking this as important.

Quote Originally Posted by TjmAble View Post
    True, people who are training and have improved muscle mass have higher creatinine levels but thats not to worry about, its more likely elevated from too much protein that you are eating, you can decrease the numbers though with lots of water, you should be worried ONLY if Urine is elevated, I have for example 17,84 creatinine cause of kidney failure but the doctors aren't looking this as important.
    You cant compare your present situation with charger, you have no kidneys, but any person with those values will need hemodialysis and transplant.

The objective here is that charger avoids that...

Yes, he will need urine tests, a nephrologist will for sure prescribe it, and advise on diet and lifestyle so he doesnt damage his kidneys any further.

TRT has nothing to with this problem, you should have started it long ago imo. You might want to add ranges for ppl that are used to it. Think you are past your gp and this forum, sorry but you need a nephrologist. And to be totally blunt you should not think of bodybuilding competitions anymore (hope im wrong).
    Mr BB, i hope your wrong too. Your history leaves me doubtful that you will be wrong.
    I agree that TRT has nothing to do with this, but the attempt to get TRT is what exposed this. I know that i should have started a long time ago. I really have an issue that once I start, i am doing it for life.
    BUN result 36. Acceptable <18
    Creatanine result 1.49. Acceptable <1.3
    Test 172 Acceptable > 240
    I have an appointment with a nephrologist. I have not thrown in the towel yet for competition. I am training like I am going to compete however the results with the nephrologist will determine this. Just doing this all natural for the time.

Please continue giving advice to people. You have made a difference. Many people were downplaying the results and that is what I wanted to hear. If i had not listened to your warnings, i would be on cycle now.
    Thank you!
    Mr.BB likes this.

Also hope you can get it sorted. My point on competition is that for competition you need to manipulate water prior to competition, and this with kidney problems is not really advised. Also, of course blasting or cycling will not help, the elevated blood pressure and the excretion of steroids metabolites are factors that reduce kidney health.

Main problem with kidneys is that they dont regenerate like other organs. Liver, for instance, you can have some degree of liver damage that stopping the cycle and waiting a few months totally regenerates the damage done, kidney damage is usually non-reversible.

I will not be competing if I feel that there is damage or potential of health risks. Not worth it however I will be unhappy. I am sure that they will ask for a urine test. You can bet I will be in contact since I will not divulge my cycle history to the Dr.

You cant compare your present situation with charger, you have no kidneys, but any person with those values will need hemodialysis and transplant.

The objective here is that charger avoids that...

Yes, he will need urine tests, a nephrologist will for sure prescribe it, and advise on diet and lifestyle so he doesnt damage his kidneys any further.
    I'm not saying it's the same as me ofcourse Im just saying that with great muscle comes great creatinine which means this numbers it's not pathological or he's having any issue I'm saying it's just he's number elevated as most of bodybuilders because of the muschle and protein waste on his system and to if he want to see his real creatinine numbers he should take a week off from protein (not completely just as he needs for maintance) and drink lots of water so he can cleanse his system and he will see his real creatinine numbers, it's no worth to do blood test if he's eating like I don't know 250g to 300g protein a day.

Mr BB, i hope your wrong too. Your history leaves me doubtful that you will be wrong.
    I agree that TRT has nothing to do with this, but the attempt to get TRT is what exposed this. I know that i should have started a long time ago. I really have an issue that once I start, i am doing it for life.
    BUN result 36. Acceptable <18
    Creatanine result 1.49. Acceptable <1.3
    Test 172 Acceptable > 240
    I have an appointment with a nephrologist. I have not thrown in the towel yet for competition. I am training like I am going to compete however the results with the nephrologist will determine this. Just doing this all natural for the time.

Please continue giving advice to people. You have made a difference. Many people were downplaying the results and that is what I wanted to hear. If i had not listened to your warnings, i would be on cycle now.
    Thank you!
    Suggest your nephrologist to prescribe you this blood Test to see how your kidneys are working,
    Vitamin D
    Red Blood Cell count
    Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR)
    And a 24-hour Urine Sample to see how much creatinine your body expels in a day.
    I hope you the best buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by TjmAble View Post
    I'm not saying it's the same as me ofcourse Im just saying that with great muscle comes great creatinine which means this numbers it's not pathological or he's having any issue I'm saying it's just he's number elevated as most of bodybuilders because of the muschle and protein waste on his system and to if he want to see his real creatinine numbers he should take a week off from protein (not completely just as he needs for maintance) and drink lots of water so he can cleanse his system and he will see his real creatinine numbers, it's no worth to do blood test if he's eating like I don't know 250g to 300g protein a day.
    How do you explain the elevated urea?

6 weeks ago, results were the same. He has been off supplements.

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Totally bummed.
    Same exact readings as 6 weeks ago.
    Test 171
    Bun 36
    Creatinine 18

I just completed a study that my supps do not effect BUN, creatanine, or test. Lost for my next actions. Waiting on doc that i think could take some courses from people on this site.
    Started just trying to get TRT.
    I think your kidneys are fine.

I've already seen those readings, they match my very bloodwork back in 2014. Imo you are either in a catabolic state and/or your antidiuretic hormone secretion is low (from crushed E2). That means you might be dehydrated.

By chance, do you have any electrolytes bw or urine analysis at hand?

DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It doesn't have to mean you're fucked, but it does mean you really need to check this out further.
    BUN elevated is what concerns me here, the creatinine is OK (or would be if it were elevated without concurrent rise in BUN)

Your Kinsey's have about a 90% reserve, just like the liver.
    Which means they can be pretty fuxked before you got any real problems.
    Trouble is, as pointed out, kidneys don't really regenerate.
    The liver can be bombed til your yellow in the skin and still heal up,
    not so with the kidneys.

TRT wouldn't be any problem id think, but cycles, especially with orals included is a no no before you got this sorted out.

Best of luck, don't think this will be irreversible before a doctor tells you it is,
    but don't do anything to cause more harm either.
    Drink lots of water and get enough electrolytes,
    And be really careful not to let blood pressure get above normal.

Quote Originally Posted by DocToxin8
    It doesn't have to mean you're fucked, but it does mean you really need to check this out further. BUN elevated is what concerns me here, the creatinine is OK (or would be if it were elevated without concurrent rise in BUN) Your Kinsey's have about a 90% reserve, just like the liver. Which means they can be pretty fuxked before you got any real problems. Trouble is, as pointed out, kidneys don't really regenerate. The liver can be bombed til your yellow in the skin and still heal up, not so with the kidneys. TRT wouldn't be any problem id think, but cycles, especially with orals included is a no no before you got this sorted out. Best of luck, don't think this will be irreversible before a doctor tells you it is, but don't do anything to cause more harm either. Drink lots of water and get enough electrolytes, And be really careful not to let blood pressure get above normal.
    Thanks Doc. That is my attitude. I get a normal blood test ( not for AAS) every year and everything has been fine even creatanine, so this condition has not been ocurring too long. Note BUN test were not inluded, but the BUN was checked because of the creatanine levels this time.
    I was hopeful that the supplements were causing the elevated readings.
    The funny thing is I went from creatine supplements to none and my creatanine levels stayed the same. Actually, my gains may be a little more without supplements. I actually begin to wonder if all of these supps were really making a difference.
    TRT is on the back burner until i get this sorted out. The gear for my cycle has also been put away. Testing is a long drawn out process. BP is fine 116/65. Now when I go to the Dr. It raises a little bit lol.

I have an appointment with a nephrologist (i learned a new word) and an ultrasound of my kidney coming up. The Dr.'s helpers are not very helpful with the preparation. They always say no prep needed. I usually read up on it and try to prep as stated through my investigations.
    When i get an ultrasound, should i drink quite a bit of water to have the kidneys full?

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have an appointment with a nephrologist (i learned a new word) and an ultrasound of my kidney coming up. The Dr.'s helpers are not very helpful with the preparation. They always say no prep needed. I usually read up on it and try to prep as stated through my investigations.
    When i get an ultrasound, should i drink quite a bit of water to have the kidneys full?
    Usually they have you empty your bladder 1 1/2 hours before the ultrasound, then drink 20-24oz of water 1 hour before and do not use restroom. You can google renal ultrasound prep and get the details pretty easily.

What is the purpose of the 24 hour urine test?

They will measure the volume and total creatinine in 24h urine.
    It will tell you how much creatinine you excrete in 24h.

They will measure the volume and total creatinine in 24h urine. It will tell you how much creatinine you excrete in 24h.
    Why don't the Dr's tell me this? I am working out 2x day and they want to see my creatanine. My understanding is that the creatanine levels rise with exercise.

Why don't the Dr's tell me this? I am working out 2x day and they want to see my creatanine. My understanding is that the creatanine levels rise with exercise.
    Well, did you asked?

24h urine is kinda of a drag, as you have to carry a urine pot the whole day lol

Usually the recipient is 3lts, ask for an extra. Only time I did it arrive at 6pm with it full, and needing to go again... so it was useless, had repeat everything

Not sure about exercise increasing creatinine, higher muscle mass definitely increases it.

You sure you are not getting muscle waste training twice a day with the hormone levels you have now???
    You need resting to rebuild, heal and grow.
    DocToxin8 likes this.

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Not sure about exercise increasing creatinine, higher muscle mass definitely increases it.

You sure you are not getting muscle waste training twice a day with the hormone levels you have now???
    You need resting to rebuild, heal and grow.
    I told him. The high BUN is imo from muscle wasting. Having testosterone THAT low needs to be dealt with.

Well, did you asked? 24h urine is kinda of a drag, as you have to carry a urine pot the whole day lol Usually the recipient is 3lts, ask for an extra. Only time I did it arrive at 6pm with it full, and needing to go again... so it was useless, had repeat everything
    Yes I did ask. I am finding that the Dr.'s leave out the fine details. No preparation or restrictions was the answer.
    From now on, i am going to ask you guys first....... There was only room for about 1/4 of my last urine in the container. You would think that they would provide you extra.
    Yes it sucks. Need to tell family that the big orange jug in the fridge is not juice.

Not sure about exercise increasing creatinine, higher muscle mass definitely increases it. You sure you are not getting muscle waste training twice a day with the hormone levels you have now??? You need resting to rebuild, heal and grow.
    Pretty sure I'm good. The afternoons is the small muscle groups that usually get forgotten or a lower priority (forearms, calves, etc), abs and cardio. Maybe I'm wrong. I do find it hard to believe that I am able to build muscle with the test level and no supplements

Quote Originally Posted by bizzarro
    I told him. The high BUN is imo from muscle wasting. Having testosterone THAT low needs to be dealt with.
    I should be on TRT soon. My results have made it to an endocrinologist and he ordered one last test of prolactin and estradiol. Estradiol came in <10 pg/ml and the range was from 11-20. Waiting on prolactin results.
    NOTE: all testing was totals and not free (ie test, estradiol). Dont know why other than ignorance..... Or maybe I'm the ignorant one that thinks that the important qty is the free. When i did the testing on my own, the free caught my attention more than the total because it was so much lower.

Can someone help with interpretation?present conditions : low test, high BUN and high creatinine. Cncerned with kidneys
    Below are the test results the nephrologist ordered

24 hour urine
    SPECIMEN VOLUME 24 HR URINE
    2875 mL

CREATININE, URINE
    78 mg/dL

CREATININE RATE, 24 HR URINE
    2.2 g/spec
    1.0 - 2.0 g/spec

Random urine sample
    Component
    Your Value
    Standard Range
    GLUCOSE, UA
    Negative mg/dL
    Negative mg/dL
    KETONES, UA
    Negative mg/dL
    Negative mg/dL
    SPECIFIC GRAVITY, UA
    1.005 - 1.030
    UA HGB
    Negative mg/dL
    Negative mg/dL
    PH, UA
    5.0 - 8.0
    PROTEIN, UA
    Negative mg/dL
    Negative mg/dL
    NITRITE, UA
    Negative
    Negative
    LEUKOCYTE ESTERASE, UA
    Negative
    Negative
    UROBILINOGEN, UA, QL
    Negative mg/dL
    Negative mg/dL
    BILIRUBIN, UA
    Negative mg/dL
    Negative mg/dL

There was also a lipid panel that was ordered by the endocrinologist NOTE non fasting

Cholesteral. 189 mg/dl. Range <=199
    HDL. 57. Range >=40
    LDL. 126. Range <=99
    Triglyceride non fasting. 70. Range <=149
    Cholesteral non HDL. 132. Range non given

Quote Originally Posted by charger69
    Can someone help with interpretation?present conditions : low test, high BUN and high creatinine. Cncerned with kidneys Below are the test results the nephrologist ordered 24 hour urine
    SPECIMEN VOLUME 24 HR URINE 2875 mL
    CREATININE, URINE 78 mg/dL
    CREATININE RATE, 24 HR URINE 2.2 g/spec 1.0 - 2.0 g/spec

Random urine sample
    Component Your Value Standard Range
    GLUCOSE, UA Negative mg/dL Negative mg/dL
    KETONES, UA Negative mg/dL Negative mg/dL
    SPECIFIC GRAVITY, UA 1.011 1.005 - 1.030 UA
    HGB Negative mg/dL Negative mg/dL
    PH, UA 7.0 5.0 - 8.0
    PROTEIN, UA Negative mg/dL Negative mg/dL
    NITRITE, UA Negative Negative
    LEUKOCYTE ESTERASE, UA Negative Negative
    UROBILINOGEN, UA, QL Negative mg/dL Negative mg/dL
    BILIRUBIN, UA Negative mg/dL V Negative mg/dL

There was also a lipid panel that was ordered by the endocrinologist NOTE non fasting
    Cholesteral. 189 mg/dl. Range <=199
    HDL. 57. Range >=40
    LDL. 126. Range <=99
    Triglyceride non fasting. 70. Range <=149
    Cholesteral non HDL. 132. Range non given
    This may be a little easier to read. Something happened to the formatting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information