Followyourdreams is offline New Member

How is this program for first cycle? It's a 5x5 (hypertrophy is main goal)

PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE ANSWERING. Thanks a lot guys.

SO HERE IS THE RUNDOWN OF ME AND MY BACKROUND AND PLEASE I AM NOT HERE TO BE JUDGED PLEASE JUST GIVE ADVICE! (I understand my decisions are stupid but i'm going to run this next cycle regardless of what anyone says on here so PLEASE please PLEASE stay on topic about my question i'd greatly appreciate it. I am not a novice when it comes to lifting and I understand the risks outweigh the benefits.

I started lifting at 14 and began using steroids at 20 years old. Since 20 I have ran a few cycles of simple test E 500mg/week for 12-14 weeks. at 23 I had to stop lifting for an entire YEAR and lost all of my muscle and strength and basically have to stop from scratch at 24

So I went from 6'2 220 pounds to 6'2 170 pounds and weak as hell. (same bodyfat %)

Now i'm back and ready to get back into shape with nothing but hard determination

SO here is my question BECAUSE I am weak and my lifts are lagging major would it actually be BETTER to start off with a 5x5 program such as this even though my main goal is in fact hypertrophy. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm thinking a program such as this would actually benefit me more even for hypertrophy than say a 5 day split working each muscle one day a week. (again PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong. I have already started this program and made my first injection but it's not to late to start a basic 5 day split.)

I am running test E 500mg/16 weeks.

So here is a program I found that I modified a bit.

This is a 5x5 that follows a ABA BAB format that is a Mon Wed Fri 3 days a week

Day 1 - Workout A/next week B
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Workout B/next week A
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Workout A/next week B
    Days 6 & 7 - Rest

Workout A

Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Bench Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row 5 5
    Barbell Shrugs 4 8
    Incline skullcrushers 4 8
    Dumbell flys 4 8
    Incline Curls 4 8
    Hyperextensions with plate 2 10
    Cable Crunches 3 10

Workout B

Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Deadlift 1 5
    Standing Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row (10% lighter than workout A) 5 5
    Close Grip Bench Press 4 8
    Straight Bar Curls 4 8
    Side Lateral Raises 4 8
    Cable Crunches 3 10
    Last edited by Followyourdreams; 10-22-2016 at 06:22 PM.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Am I seeing this right, are you squating heavy 3 times a week? I would say you only need to squat maybe twice a week at most.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Yeah squatting 3 times a week to start. Remember i'm basically starting over so i'm weak as hell and my body could handle 3x a week as soon as I feel it's too much I will drop it to every other workout like the other main compounds.

other than that though what do you think of the post? I'm trying to figure this out by Monday.
    Last edited by Followyourdreams; 10-22-2016 at 06:25 PM.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Followyourdreams View Post
    Yeah squatting 3 times a week to start. Remember i'm basically starting over so i'm weak as hell and my body could handle 3x a week

other than that though what do you think of the post? I'm trying to figure this out by Monday.
    I think it looks fine, it is similar to what I would have a patient of mine do if they were coming back from injury except the squating 3 times a week. You are already doing deads so your low back is going to be taking a pounding in a time when it is not at it's best. I worry about you injuring yourself and going back to square one.

Why did you have to take a year off, if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 10-22-2016 at 06:32 PM.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Let's just say I went through an extremely hard time with something and basically lost the will to even live for a while. No point in getting into detail though i'm back and ready to roll.

What's your honest thoughts though if my main goal is hypertrophy? Do you think doing this program or a 5 day split would be better? My goal is not strength but I figure the constant strength progression of this program would spark more growth than the 5 day split (chest mon/ back tues/ legs wed/arms thurs/ shoulders fri) simply because i'm starting at such a weak strength lvl

I could be wrong though..
    Last edited by Followyourdreams; 10-22-2016 at 06:44 PM.

jabawocky is offline New Member
    I thought 5x5 is strength training? 8-16 reps is the range for hypertrophy: or is this a myth im unaware of.
    most of my workouts are between 4-6 reps per set but I do a lot of dropsets and superset to mimic 8-16 reps (i gain alot using this method)

I train on (Mon,Tues, off Thurs, Fri) - (upper, lower, upper, lower) then abs and cardio on rest days.
    The only isolation exercises I do are curls.

Yeah 5x5 is more for strength but my thought is that because i'm starting so weak and can't lift much weight that doing a strength program would actually give me better results because i'd be getting stronger every workout..

am I wrong to think being able to lift heavier weights will produce greater results in hypertrophy?

the ONLY reason I am not starting a 5 day split is because I am so weak right now and i'd think lifting such low weight will not produce the gains I want.. am I wrong for thinking this? Again my main goal is muscle mass. Does it not really matter what weight i'm lifting as long as i'm beating that muscle down?

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    The 5x5 is a very good program and very tough program.I used the Bill Starr version yrs ago.I believe that was his 1st name.I read somewhere football coaches use it.

ryobi1 is offline Associate Member
    Let's just say I went through an extremely hard time with something and basically lost the will to even live for a while. No point in getting into detail though i'm back and ready to roll.

What's your honest thoughts though if my main goal is hypertrophy? Do you think doing this program or a 5 day split would be better? My goal is not strength but I figure the constant strength progression of this program would spark more growth than the 5 day split (chest mon/ back tues/ legs wed/arms thurs/ shoulders fri) simply because i'm starting at such a weak strength lvl

I could be wrong though..
    I like this split program, start off with 2 sets each with a workable
    weight, increase weekly till you feel you are working with a good weight, (even 5-10 lbs a week would be huge), work into 3 sets,
    when you have your strength or are happy with progress, then go to
    5x5

I'm not sure what you meant by that Ryo

Still looking for opinions! Thanks guys!

Sehdee is offline Junior Member
    naturals benefit more doing strength based full body type of workouts that lift heavy on main compound movements and focusing on getting stronger , and slightly higher reps for isolation movements , people that arent natty would benefit from hitting a body part 1 - 2 times a week and focusing on destroying that muscle with way more volume and heavy and lighter work . This is my experience and some others

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST BEFORE ANSWERING. Thanks a lot guys.

SO HERE IS THE RUNDOWN OF ME AND MY BACKROUND AND PLEASE I AM NOT HERE TO BE JUDGED PLEASE JUST GIVE ADVICE! (I understand my decisions are stupid but i'm going to run this next cycle regardless of what anyone says on here so PLEASE please PLEASE stay on topic about my question i'd greatly appreciate it. I am not a novice when it comes to lifting and I understand the risks outweigh the benefits.

I started lifting at 14 and began using steroids at 20 years old. Since 20 I have ran a few cycles of simple test E 500mg/week for 12-14 weeks. at 23 I had to stop lifting for an entire YEAR and lost all of my muscle and strength and basically have to stop from scratch at 24

So I went from 6'2 220 pounds to 6'2 170 pounds and weak as hell. (same bodyfat %)

Now i'm back and ready to get back into shape with nothing but hard determination

SO here is my question BECAUSE I am weak and my lifts are lagging major would it actually be BETTER to start off with a 5x5 program such as this even though my main goal is in fact hypertrophy. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm thinking a program such as this would actually benefit me more even for hypertrophy than say a 5 day split working each muscle one day a week. (again PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong. I have already started this program and made my first injection but it's not to late to start a basic 5 day split.)

I am running test E 500mg/16 weeks.

So here is a program I found that I modified a bit.

This is a 5x5 that follows a ABA BAB format that is a Mon Wed Fri 3 days a week

Day 1 - Workout A/next week B
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Workout B/next week A
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Workout A/next week B
    Days 6 & 7 - Rest

Workout A

Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Bench Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row 5 5
    Barbell Shrugs 4 8
    Incline skullcrushers 4 8
    Dumbell flys 4 8
    Incline Curls 4 8
    Hyperextensions with plate 2 10
    Cable Crunches 3 10

Workout B

Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Deadlift 1 5
    Standing Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row (10% lighter than workout A) 5 5
    Close Grip Bench Press 4 8
    Straight Bar Curls 4 8
    Side Lateral Raises 4 8
    Cable Crunches 3 10
    So U can't make gains naturally. So U think u have to cycle the rest of ur life ?? Started at 20' wow. I'm 32 and considering first time. And you do all if those muscle groups in one session...I'm Confused A B A B
    Last edited by Marsoc; 10-23-2016 at 10:01 PM.

ryobi1 is offline Associate Member
    I'm not sure what you meant by that Ryo

Still looking for opinions! Thanks guys!
    what I meant was start slowly,
    say you work chest,
    2 sets of 10 reps bench i plate a side
    go to your next set, say incline...
    if its not too much, do the same,
    and so on...add weight per week 5-10 lbs,
    till you are not feeling sore, then go to 3 sets,
    when you are at your max or near max, switch to
    the 5x5 system, and use higher weights

Thread Information