Jonbana is offline Member

Training workout volume ?

Just a fast question last question as I don't post much , but feel like im spinning my wheels lately

I'm use to high volume either Push / Pull / Legs twice a week or a typical Bro split but tons of sets , but recently I lowered my volume workouts take about 40-45 minutes maximum with 10-15 minutes ssteady stat cardio post workout , and I feel like im wasting time in the gym blasting through these short workouts

heres a chest day workout

this is a 4 day split repeated with one rest day a week example , chest/back/shoulders/legs/chest/back/rest/shoulders/legs/chest/back/shoulders/legs/rest
    unless you can think of another split to hit body parts twice a week ? I like 6 days a week keeps be going and busy

BB Flat Bench 4x10
    BB incline Bench 4x10
    DB Flat Fly 4x10
    Dips 4x10

Skullcrusher 4x10
    Tricep press down machine 4x10

Normally I would do 1.5 hour training but everyone specially my ex trainer says less is more ,

all 4x10

bb flat bench
    bb incline bench
    db flat fly
    cable fly
    dips
    machine bench

skullcrusher
    tricep press down
    tricep over head

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    What are your goals? Simply put, your ex trainer is correct. You don't need to spend hours upon hours in the gym in order to get great gains. My workouts are usually an hour long, maybe slightly longer depending on the day, and I always make steady progress. For me, it's more about switching up accessory exercises, not so much the amount of time I'm in the gym. I take longer than the average gym-goer in between sets also. But then again, I train mostly for strength.

I think the best question to ask yourself in order to answer this questions is: Do you feel like you gave it your all when your session is over, or do you feel like you could do a significant amount more work? This doesn't mean that you should have to crawl on your hands and knees to your car after leg day, but if you're still feeling fresh, then you're probably cheating yourself out of gains.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Spending long hrs in the gym is old school.Google Dorian Yates workout its a nice video.Marcus is a big fan of his training methods and he does very well as do others on here.

Do you have a link to the exact video you are talking about songdog?

I know theres no correct way high volume low volume they all work but seems most are learning towards low volume does my workout look to low volume or right amount im currently bulking maintaining before next cycle on a cruise starting tomorrow

When I'm on cycle and can recover faster, I tend to train longer in the gym. I might do 25 sets on the chest, followed by 12 sets on the tri's, followed by 5 sets of abs. The whole workout takes about 90 mins to 100 mins. When I'm not on cycle, I tend to have shorter workouts. 10 sets on the chest, 5 sets on tri's, 3 sets on abs. When I can recover, I love long hard workouts. I'm an old fella so I like old school. LOL

Scotch so you have an example of your workout when and off cycle ? and 4 day split?

When I'm off cycle and mostly maintaining I do the following workouts. Well, it changes all the time but this is one of them.

1) Chest/Back - 225# 10 reps flat bench + 10 pull ups in a superset x 10 sets
    2) Shoulders/Arms - Seated Barbell Press 10 reps x 3 sets, Seated Dumbbell Press 10 reps x 3 sets, Seated Lateral Dumbbell raises 20 reps x 3 sets, Anterior Dubbell Raises 20 reps x 30 sets (I do lateral/anterior as a superset)
    3) Legs - Squat 10 reps x 5 sets, Deadlift 10 reps x 3 sets, Romanian Deadlift 10 reps 3 sets, Leg extension 30 reps x 3 sets (toe out x10 reps, toe in x 10 reps, toes straight x 10 reps), Same routine for hamstring curls.
    4) Plyometric - 1 arm dumbbell snatch 50reps on each side (50lb DB), Super set of: Wall Ball 10 reps, Medicine Ball Throw Down 10 reps, Burpee Box Jump 10 reps, Barbell thruster 10 reps x 3 sets, Abs, done.

rest days 3 in a row or you spread them out?
    im getting off cycle cruising starting today so I was thinking

chest tri
    back bi
    shoulders
    rest
    arms
    legs
    instead of the 2 rests back to back

Thread Information