Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nogbad the bad
  • 1 Post By kirkjamest
  • 1 Post By Bonaparte

Thread: AAS, HGH, and Hair Transplants

behumble is offline New Member

AAS, HGH, and Hair Transplants

So let me start by saying I am 28 and have spent the better part of the last decade bodybuilding (not competing, just as sort of a hobby) and occasionally using AAS or HGH in cycles. This...along with genetics have led to the thinning of my hair.

Pretty recently I went and got a hair transplant (FUT strip surgery) from a very reputable doctor. I am about 1.5 months post-op and starting to see plenty of new hairs already beginning to push through my scalp. Which brings me to my question...

I've heard bodybuilders and pro-wrestlers will juice as much as they want and just get hair transplants to catch up with their hair loss. I am sure some of you have went down this path or know someone who has, I am told the new hairs should be hormone resistant...would just like to hear some stories from people who have been there. How has AAS or HGH impacted your transplanted hairs?

Not a ton of information on this stuff on the web, so I appreciate any responses. Just looking to get some details on this.

PT1982 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I wouldn't say they're hormone resistant, as they won't beat your genetics. I have a friend that had implants done almost a year ago and now he's starting to lose it pretty rapidly. And he's never touched a steroid . And a contractor I do work for had implants several years ago and he's got a full head of hair still. But I would think that if you continue to use anabolics after the implants, you're still at risk of losing it. That is, if your hair loss is steroid induced.

behumble is offline New Member
    Thanks for the reply...I've heard they are DHT resistant hairs and from what I know about them there is no way your friend should already be losing them a year later. He must have went to a bad doctor. They are considered pretty close to permanent in the medical community. Just trying to figure out how AAS and HGH impact them if anyone has experienced it

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I started TRT in Feb. A TRT dose is much lower than a performance-enhancing dose. My hair has been thinning, NOTICEABLY, since then. I have a very thick head of hair, just like my dad, brother, uncles and grandfathers (on both sides). I still have a lot of hair but every time I run my hands through it a see a little in my fingers. I think I'll be ok and the TRT is really increasing my quality of life. So I'll stick with TRT but I feel I'm a textbook example that the phrase, "prone to baldness gene," is not the whole answer.
    Last edited by Quester; 06-01-2017 at 06:22 PM.

MToption2 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PT1982 View Post
    I wouldn't say they're hormone resistant, as they won't beat your genetics. I have a friend that had implants done almost a year ago and now he's starting to lose it pretty rapidly. And he's never touched a steroid. And a contractor I do work for had implants several years ago and he's got a full head of hair still. But I would think that if you continue to use anabolics after the implants, you're still at risk of losing it. That is, if your hair loss is steroid induced.
    This is strange. All transplants are stripped from the back of the head which should be impervious to hair loss. The hair on the back & sides aren't affected by hormones.

I'm suprised I haven't had any hair loss despite noticing the insane shedding in the shower regardless of cycle.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    I started TRT in Feb. A TRT dose is much lower than a performance-enhancing dose. My hair has been thinning, NOTICEABLY, since then. I have a very thick head of hair, just like my dad, brother, uncles and grandfathers (on both sides). I still have a lot of hair but every time I run my hands through it a see a little in my fingers. I think I'll be ok and the TRT is really increasing my quality of life. So I'll stick with TRT but I feel I'm a textbook example that the phrase, "prone to baldness gene," is not the whole answer.
    I cannot comment on the loss of transplanted hair. I can tell you that even TrT dose test will cause your hair to

1. Thin in Diameter
    2. Start to curl and get "natural" ie not straight if it was straight to start with.
    3. Thick hair and the two sides above become less than thick hair.

My damn hair would be a friggin afro without oil.

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    Well....i'm baldy as a chimps arse and i don't care,but if i wanted a transplant,they'd have to take them off my arse or my bollocks!
    Quester likes this.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    3. Thick hair and the two sides above become less than thick hair.
    What do you mean?

kirkjamest is offline Junior Member
    Genetic studies have identified 113 auotosomal genes (those that affect men and women) and 13 X chromosome genes on the 23rd pair of chromosomes that affect male patterned baldness with the most common gene involved with MPB being those on the X chromosome handed to us by our mothers. Thanks mom.

Hair follicles below the crown of the head are DHT resistant before and after transplant. This is scientific fact, not theory. So, if they are transplanted from below the crown to the crown they will grow forever. However, the follicles still on the crown before the transplant are susceptible to DHT caused by AAS and naturally produced DHT. if you have the genetic makeup for MPB you're gonna go bald. The transplant will help considerably especially if you only have types I, II or III baldness.

I have type III and I had a hair transplant 19 months ago. Well worth it. I did a cycle of T-Cyp 13 months post transplant. I monitored my DHT levels during cycle and as expected they went through the roof.

One can tell which hairs are transplanted and which aren't. I did shed a lot of hair during the cycle but i suspect that was only temporary as the initial thinning stopped post pct and those follicles susceptible to DHT had, for the most part, only went dormant. The transplanted hairs were completely unaffected. Keep in mind this was a low dose of testosterone , 400mg/week for 12 weeks.

Hgh does not convert to DHT.

Keep using AAS and the follicles susceptible to DHT will die, those transplanted ones will not.
    cousinmuscles likes this.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Its worth mentioning that HGH actually has a positive effect on your hair (though not enough to counteract the effects of AAS).
    PT1982 likes this.

Akrobatik is offline Associate Member
    FUT strip surgery is bogus. Why would you want a 6 inch scar on the back of your head? What is this 1980? Do NeoGraft. No scar, win win.

Thread Information