simplyjakked is offline Member

shrinks and roids?

i take gear simply because i wanna get much larger than i am. when i started working out six years ago i just set my sights on 150LBS, every year it seems to go up and i am now at 205 and 12%bf. yes i am larger than the average guy but like alot of gym goers i fell much smaller than i am told that i actually am, so here is my question: have any of you gone to a psychiatrist about this or any other problem and do they help? As you can guess i am contemplating going to one.

Sheek is offline Junior Member
    Its called Bigorexia, and most of us have it. It’s just like Anorexia; no matter how skinny one is they always think they are fat. No matter how big one is he always thinks he is small. Most of us try to solve internal problems by fixing the exterior; Me being a former fat kid has always had insecurities. Even though no longer fat I carried these insecurities, until I realized that I am fine the way I look. Bigger isn’t always better, people will like you for who you are. Its all in your head, you look good bro.

sheek i appreciate the advice and hopefully i will someday be atleast a little amused about my size..someday. i am guessin you figured it out on your own and never went to a professional i hope maybe i can do the same i would like more input from others as well.

ceps is offline Junior Member
    I would say go see someone. A psychiatrist is probably better than a non-MD therapist because a non-MD therapist might be side-tracked by the gear use, though in NYC they may be more seasoned on this. Look for someone trained in Cognitive Therapy, as this modality is particularly effective for this issue (it's directed at breaking down the faulty thoughts, e.g. "I'm puny" with the more accurate thoughts that are supported by the evidence surrounding you that you likely selectively discount). And don't be hard on yourself for now. The therapy should not be directed at getting you to stop using, it should simply be directed at helping you get a more accurate self-image.

Down the road there's always time to dig up the roots of self-esteem issues if you have them and if you'd like to (everybody has something.)

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Ahhhh yes...the classic Adonis complex.

thanks for the insight money. how about an opinion you usually seem pretty knowledgeable.

BimBamBoom is offline Associate Member
    The therapist could very well be your medium to achieve a higher level of esteem for yourself. I suggest you do give it a try, it could work wonders. I think that everyone has something they dislike about themselves. I think that it is just human nature. Let's say when you do actually get to something like 240lbs or something, you will probably just focus on something else you don't like about yourself. If you go see a therapist now it will probably just ease this whole complex. I don't think there is a person I know that doesn't have a hang-up. Everyone has something they don't like about themselves and it is our nature to continue improving ourselves. Now you decided to go to a therapist, your interest is also to improve yourself in this case, but I value this as much more important because in this instance you are trying to improve your outlook and not your appearance. This can probably improve quality of life altogether if you are open to it. Discussing it with the therapist will very likely get to the root of why you feel this way. I don't think you can completely get rid of those feelings but they sure as hell won't be priority anymore.

I feel the same way about a few things, too much to mention. I just try to find out why it is I feel a certain way and try to improve it on my own. When I can't quite do it on my own I'll talk to a friend and that usually always helps to get it off my chest.

I'll end this by saying this ... You can't fix a problem without knowing exactly what caused(causes) it.

Hope I helped a bit....

Quote Originally Posted by simplyjakked
    thanks for the insight money. how about an opinion you usually seem pretty knowledgeable.
    I wouldn't agree with that.

Adonis Complex: "an excessive preoccupation with body size and muscularity. Men who find themselves caught up in these obsessions soon discover their lives can begin spiraling out of control. Their lives often are dramatically affected by these obsessions jeopardizing careers as well as relationships with friends and loved ones."

Steroids can unfortunately lead to having an Adonis complex for some individuals. A person does a cycle and loves the results. Then they do another b/c they want more results. Then another cycle...and another...and before you know it a person has developed obsessive behaviour with their body. They're never perfect in their mind...they're never ripped enough or big enough. It is actually like anorexia...men/women trying to achieve their perfect body image. I have personally known people who almost got themselves killed b/c they screwed the wrong person for more AS than they could afford. They just couldn't get off the stuff...they had to develop their ideal body. This guy lost everything in his life...it's actually fucking sad. It's all a choice though...some people just don't have strong minds when it comes to drugs.

The Adonis complex can also lead into homosexuality (loosely theoried). Admiring another man's body...then becoming sexually aroused by it. Ain't no joke bro...there are a lot of gay prof BB'ers.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Take the money you were going to spend on the psychiatrist and by more gear so you can get bigger. Why would you ever want to be satisfied?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickson
    Take the money you were going to spend on the psychiatrist and by more gear so you can get bigger. Why would you ever want to be satisfied?
    LOL

thanks to you all and i will probably see someone just to check it out. Rickson kind of a dickhead thing to say but hey you are somewhat right i will never be satisfied. once again thanks for the opinions now i gotta go do shoulder presses with a few plates on a barbell.

MR.BICEPS is offline Junior Member
    I think what RICKSON is trying too say is dissatisfaction is the basis of progress!

I hope I am never satisfied so I will continue to stay hungry for the iron!

Getting bigger in never enough. You can never get too big or big enough! No one ever has and those who say they dont want to get any bigger are most assuredly lieing!

Thread Information