Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By ScotchGuard02

Thread: Ouch!!

MegaMeatMan is offline Junior Member

Ouch!!

I've been lifting the last year lighter weights and high reps. A lot of burn outs and having great gains but I'm getting board. When lifting heavy you compete with yourself and strive to lift heavier than previous workout. So last week I went back to heavier lifting.
    I'm 57 so I'm guessing it's harder on me. My right knee was burning with pain all night too the point I didn't sleep. Left elbow is also flaring up. I was only maxing out at around 225 for reps. Didn't try to go any heavier. This is a ongoing problem. Everytime I lift on the heavier side I find I have more injuries. The gains are so much better lifting heavy. I've been lifting many years so it's not incorrect form. I'm VERY BIG on keeping form. I don't sacrifice form for bigger lifts. The knee is hurting crazy bad. If I sit still I have to manually use my hands to straighten it out all the while it's burning pain. Cortisone shot? What a rip!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It really depends on what kind of gains you're going after. It's been shown that the best way to train for purely hypertrophy is with more volume just like you're doing while keeping the weights a bit lighter... Not light, but not so heavy that you can only do 8 reps.. For hypertrophy you wanna be around 12-15 reps IMO with plenty of pump work and drop sets/super sets.

Training like that will limit your strength increase, though, so IMO the best approach is to mix up strength and hypertrophy training. Some people will do that within the same week from w/o to w/o, where as other people will do "phases" or "blocks" of each type of training. I don't do as much heavy lifting either these days cause I would lose my mind if I couldn't lift for an extended period of time lol especially if it was because of a completely avoidable injury that I caused because I didn't know my limits.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreysheawalker View Post
    I've been lifting the last year lighter weights and high reps. A lot of burn outs and having great gains but I'm getting board. When lifting heavy you compete with yourself and strive to lift heavier than previous workout. So last week I went back to heavier lifting.
    I'm 57 so I'm guessing it's harder on me. My right knee was burning with pain all night too the point I didn't sleep. Left elbow is also flaring up. I was only maxing out at around 225 for reps. Didn't try to go any heavier. This is a ongoing problem. Everytime I lift on the heavier side I find I have more injuries. The gains are so much better lifting heavy. I've been lifting many years so it's not incorrect form. I'm VERY BIG on keeping form. I don't sacrifice form for bigger lifts. The knee is hurting crazy bad. If I sit still I have to manually use my hands to straighten it out all the while it's burning pain. Cortisone shot? What a rip!

The pain is your body's feedback; what it is telling you can take time to decipher. I'm an older lifter as well and have found that many times the area that is hurting isn't necessarily the injured body part.
    If you don't currently wear knee sleeves for leg related exercises, I highly recommend them. I use the 7mm Rehband sleeves, don't recall the model # at the moment. Also, I use elbow sleeves on almost every lifting day. The extra heat is very helpful.
    It never hurts to get blood flow into an area before heavy lifting. Some things Kel mentioned to me quite a few years ago that have been helpful:.

Do some ab work before attacking back or leg lifts
    Moderate weight and higher rep leg extensions with your knee sleeves on before any leg exercises. I may be mistaken, but I think Kel may throw in a little time on a bike prior to squats/leg day.
    Personally, I've gotten to the point that I will warm up my joints before every lift, whether it be shoulder, elbows, hips, knees, etc.

You may want to do some reading here:
    https://forums.steroid.com/injuries-rehab/

and here:
    https://forums.steroid.com/workout-training/
    Look for a thread Marcus made on breathing and bracing. It will certainly help you if you don't already incorporate it.

There are several of us in the 50 and over club on the forum, so don't let anyone tell you lifting is strictly a young person's game.
    cousinmuscles likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    The pain is your body's feedback; what it is telling you can take time to decipher. I'm an older lifter as well and have found that many times the area that is hurting isn't necessarily the injured body part.
    If you don't currently wear knee sleeves for leg related exercises, I highly recommend them. I use the 7mm Rehband sleeves, don't recall the model # at the moment. Also, I use elbow sleeves on almost every lifting day. The extra heat is very helpful.
    It never hurts to get blood flow into an area before heavy lifting. Some things Kel mentioned to me quite a few years ago that have been helpful:.

Do some ab work before attacking back or leg lifts
    Moderate weight and higher rep leg extensions with your knee sleeves on before any leg exercises. I may be mistaken, but I think Kel may throw in a little time on a bike prior to squats/leg day.
    Personally, I've gotten to the point that I will warm up my joints before every lift, whether it be shoulder, elbows, hips, knees, etc.

You may want to do some reading here:
    https://forums.steroid.com/injuries-rehab/

and here:
    https://forums.steroid.com/workout-training/
    Look for a thread Marcus made on breathing and bracing. It will certainly help you if you don't already incorporate it.

There are several of us in the 50 and over club on the forum, so don't let anyone tell you lifting is strictly a young person's game.
    Spot on.... No doubt I'm likely not warming up good. I use the wraps and braces but likely a little too late. I bring them out when I start hurting. I'm guessing they would be a preventative of if use them every time. One of the biggest reasons I lift is I want to be able to walk without a walker when in my 70's. It's just crazy... I know I'm in good shape but still get injuries way to often even when I'm not lifting anywhere near the pounds I can. We will deal with it... Beats being 6 foot under or crippled up. Live long enough, there's gonna be some pain.

Spot on.... No doubt I'm likely not warming up good. I use the wraps and braces but likely a little too late. I bring them out when I start hurting. I'm guessing they would be a preventative of if use them every time. One of the biggest reasons I lift is I want to be able to walk without a walker when in my 70's. It's just crazy... I know I'm in good shape but still get injuries way to often even when I'm not lifting anywhere near the pounds I can. We will deal with it... Beats being 6 foot under or crippled up. Live long enough, there's gonna be some pain.

No doubt!
    I also use a aloe/DMSO gel from Amazon that helps. Again I have Kel to thank for that.
    If it is pure joint pain, there is a cream called Penetrex that I like as well. LOL, when I first got it, my wife asked what it was. I told her sex lube and stood there rubbing it on my elbow while staring at her. It's fun to mess with her head at times!
    Another decent pain reliever is Voltaren gel. I don't use it chronically, just when it is necessary.

In case you haven't noticed yet, we also have a "seasoned" lifter's area here:
    https://forums.steroid.com/over-40-forum/
    MegaMeatMan likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

No doubt!
    I also use a aloe/DMSO gel from Amazon that helps. Again I have Kel to thank for that.
    If it is pure joint pain, there is a cream called Penetrex that I like as well. LOL, when I first got it, my wife asked what it was. I told her sex lube and stood there rubbing it on my elbow while staring at her. It's fun to mess with her head at times!
    Another decent pain reliever is Voltaren gel. I don't use it chronically, just when it is necessary.

In case you haven't noticed yet, we also have a "seasoned" lifter's area here:
    Is there a name for this 40 and over forum?

Is there a name for this 40 and over forum?

I think some of the younger guys call it the gray and dilapidated area?
    The link I posted leads you straight to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMindz View Post
    It really depends on what kind of gains you're going after. It's been shown that the best way to train for purely hypertrophy is with more volume just like you're doing while keeping the weights a bit lighter... Not light, but not so heavy that you can only do 8 reps.. For hypertrophy you wanna be around 12-15 reps IMO with plenty of pump work and drop sets/super sets.

Training like that will limit your strength increase, though, so IMO the best approach is to mix up strength and hypertrophy training. Some people will do that within the same week from w/o to w/o, where as other people will do "phases" or "blocks" of each type of training. I don't do as much heavy lifting either these days cause I would lose my mind if I couldn't lift for an extended period of time lol especially if it was because of a completely avoidable injury that I caused because I didn't know my limits.
    I've been lifting pretty much exactly as you stated above for year and half... I'm just getting board with it. Truefully my body has responded to it the best. Maybe I'll stick with heavy on the big 3 and do the lighter, more reps on minor muscle groups. That's my plan anyways. As bad as my knee is hurting now I'm almost afraid to do Squats but I already know I will. Generally I'm OK with the lifts once warmed up. It gets me when I get home and not doing anything. That's when the pain shows up

I think some of the younger guys call it the gray and dilapidated area?
    The link I posted leads you straight to it.
    Well I hit the link and for whatever reason it flips right back to this page. It's not linking and staying. I'll try again

Hmm, this link works for me:

If that doesn't don't, go to the main page and it will be about 2/3 of the way down the page.

We're about the same age and we "old" guys need to stick together. LOL

As we age, our muscles are still strong and elastic, especially with AAS. Unfortunately, our connecting tissues are not as resilient. Most of the discomfort or injuries occur at the joints like knees, shoulder, elbows, etc. Hate to tell ya but there is not too much you can do to rectify that problem. What I did find is that running HGH helps a LOT. I've been running 5iu/ed for the last 8 years. My wife thinks I'm nuts to spend that kind of money for HGH but it not only keeps belly fat away but it helps to maintain my connecting tissues.

As for lifting, I do a lot of endurance training. Strength without endurance is like a fire cracker. I may do 10 sets of 10 reps with 225lbs for the bench followed by 50 reps on the inclined bench with 100lb dumbbells. Then once every few months I'll go heavier. 6 reps for 6 sets with 315lbs. Again, my goal is fitness, wellness, and maintaining what I have. I'm 5'11" 205lbs and about 10% body fat. I'm not interested in being 265lbs with 5% bodyfat. I would recommend that you stay at 60% to 70% of your 1RM and do 12 reps to 14 reps on each set. It's easier on the joints and your muscles will get plenty of workout.

Look into HGH. At our age, there are other benefits that you will find to be very helpful. Things like lowering belly fat, better concentration, better muscular endurance, etc.
    almostgone likes this.

AlphaMindz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've been lifting pretty much exactly as you stated above for year and half... I'm just getting board with it. Truefully my body has responded to it the best. Maybe I'll stick with heavy on the big 3 and do the lighter, more reps on minor muscle groups. That's my plan anyways. As bad as my knee is hurting now I'm almost afraid to do Squats but I already know I will. Generally I'm OK with the lifts once warmed up. It gets me when I get home and not doing anything. That's when the pain shows up

I hear ya man routines can get boring lol. That's pretty much what I do (go heavy on compounds and lighter with more volume on isolation movements) and it's served me well. My body has responded to that type of training more so than anything else I've done in the past.

Try setting specific short term goals and working towards them in every workout. That'll bring some fun back into it.

Also, I would def follow Scotch's advise on starting HGH. At your age it will have incredible benefits for you! Even at lower "therapeutic" doses.

Thread Information