newtogear is offline Junior Member

Proper Protein Intake?

Hi guys, I weigh 180 lbs and want to put on 20 lbs of muscle. As soon as I can get some gear, I want to try a cycle of sus/eq stack. I think my body fat % is like 15 %. I want to have that under 10%. But that’s for later, and for low carb & clen help. Right now, I just want to focus on gaining muscle mass w/o adding to body fat %.

I have read that I should intake 1.7 grams of protein for every pound of lean body mass weight that I want to be. Therefore, for 200 lbs at 15%, I should ingest 289 grams of protein per day, which sounds insane. I have read on other posts that no more than 200 of those grams should come from supplements (powders/bars). This is going to be tough.

My question is that I’ve ALSO heard that our bodies cannot digest, absorb or utilize any more than 25-30 grams of protein at once. That the excess of that at one time will be flushed away unused. Is this true? If that’s true, and I’m supposed to eat 6 times ed…it doesn’t add up. I’d have to ingest 30 grams over around 10 times ed. And I’m assuming that each meal should be separated by about 3 hours. That doesn’t add up. There isn’t enough time in a day. Ideally, I’m only awake for 16 hrs ed anyway to recoup. Would 46 grams taken 6 times ed be digested?? Can someone please help me out with this? Thanks!!

Here’s an example of protein intake from another member:
    ---------------------------------------
    Wake up 9ish
    6 egg whites scrambled with ham - about 30gram
    Tall glass 2% milk(hate skim) - 10 gram
    Follow with one scoop shake - 25 gram

11ish 12
    Protein shake with bananna or something - 65gram

2pm
    Can of Tuna - 35 gram
    Protein shake - 25 gram

4 pm
    Some sort of Chicken - 40 gram
    another protein shake - 25 gram

6 or 7
    Can of chilli or something easy like that for my lazy ass - 25 gram
    Boca burger - 20 gram
    Yet another Protein shake - 25 gram

9 or 10
    Protein shake - 65 gram
    ----------------------------------------
    It looks like a lot of the protein this guy is taking in will be wasted, won’t it?

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    No thats rediculous. For one, food and liquid protien wont absorb at the same time anyways so you could easily take a meal and shake at the same time at one sitting and be able to absorb it all. And you will eventually adapt anyways too it. I easily take in 400 grams of protien a day. A good 150-175 comes within 2-3hrs post workout

mccuvyjames is offline New Member
    alright, first matter of business, gaining muscle without gaining fat, ain't gonna happen. it is possible, but it requires a fine tuned diet, supp intake, and superrior genetics. without these things, it would be a crawl. a more effective stratagy would be the bulk and cut dieting phases. for example, i was bulking untill two months ago. i would consume an average of 350 grams of protien and 350 grams of carbs per day. now i am cutting, i consume 225 grams of protien, and 150 grams of carbs per day. while protien absorbtion is variable, i believe that the average individual is capable of assimilationg up to 100g of protien in a sitting. so if you are bulking, and at the same time are on gear, you should be eating at least 300-500 grams of protien a day and around the same amount of carbs. don't go keto while bulking, do it while cutting. yes, space it out in as many meals as possible. definatley no more than three hours between meals. as for how much of it should come from powders, i don't know, but i try to get as much from food as i can.

L-carnatine is offline Banned
    i want to get ripped i weight 184.3 and have 9% body fat i aim 5'11" and 18yrs old whats effective and safe or just effective and what should the diet look like

mule1983 is offline Associate Member
    just eat all the time... it works for me and add some cardio to keep down the body fat

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    You're not going to gain muscle and cut at the same time very effectively because your diet has to be tuned toward whichever you want to do.

i know but atleast some what keep up the muscle mass not gain muscle mass and as for cardio i do it everyday 4 times a week and my metabolism is relatively slow im not the ripped type also what the hell is e/c/y

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    newtogear - without carbs you will have a hard time reaching your goal of 20 pounds....... Carbs are way too important to keep out of your diet and even more so if you're looking to gain.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by L-carnatine
    i know but atleast some what keep up the muscle mass not gain muscle mass and as for cardio i do it everyday 4 times a week and my metabolism is relatively slow im not the ripped type also what the hell is e/c/y
    ECY = Ephedrine/Caffeine/Yohimbe stack, increases the metabolism.

You need carbs in your PWO and PPWO at least to maintain/repair muscle.

twiztidjuggalo74 is offline Associate Member
    high protein makes you very suseptable to gaut....but hey im still taking in 200 grams

j martini is offline Member
    I dont believe that your body can only digest so much protein at one sitting thats like saying if you eat a 300g steak only about 3og of protein will be absorbed and your body will excrete the rest, but the steak is digested slowly throughout the day,
    I myself eat over 600g protein a day while on a diet and over 400g a day off season of which about 200g comes from shakes the rest from solid food spread over 7 meals a day youn also have to remember that AAS increase protein synthesis.

n8or is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE=L-carnatine]i want to get ripped i weight 184.3 and have 9% body fat i aim 5'11" and 18yrs old whats effective and safe or just effective and what should the diet look like[/QUO

read more

gut?

Quote Originally Posted by twiztidjuggalo74
    high protein makes you very suseptable to gaut....but hey im still taking in 200 grams
    how can to much protein give you a gout? i understand the days you dont work out ok but your body excretes what it doesent use

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    What is the proper protein intake amount for someone not on AAS or just coming off the cycle??

flabbywussy is offline Senior Member
    shouldn't this be in the diet forum?

magicstick2003 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L-carnatine
    how can to much protein give you a gout? i understand the days you dont work out ok but your body excretes what it doesent use
    GOUT not gut....i dont remember what it is exactly im sure somone will fill you in on it

Thread Information