Thread: taking a break

gwendels is offline Junior Member

taking a break

Just a question does anyone normally take a break(3 or 4 days) from working out after having a REALLY heavy week of lifting? really heavy weight(3to 6rep) leaves my joints feeling useless and it takes that time to recoup. Also this F**kin test has got me f**king like a jackrabbit and it is starting to effect my strength. What do you guys do?

BimBamBoom is offline Associate Member
    Sometimes a break from the gym works wonders for me. My energy is a lot better after a week away, whether it be by choice or circumstance, Ive been away for that amount of time, and I always feel better when coming back.

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    i always take time off like that. i dont train a body part until the previous one i worked out is no longer sore, on a cycle or not. i think that lifting is just the stimulus, and adequate recovery is necessary for maximum muscle growth.

Testify is offline Senior Member
    I don't like to do it, but sometimes it is unavoidable. Like you, I have joints that sometimes act up - especially my left shoulder. Usually I just take some Alleve (sp?) an hour before lifting and then some more before bed. On those occasions when even that doesn't cut it, I just skip the workout. Its always better to be well rested (including those over-stressed joints) than to risk further injury. And of course, when I do get back to the weight room, I always use strict form. I usually find that after the disappointment of not getting my workout in, that I am much better the next time that particular day comes around.

T

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sin
    i think that lifting is just the stimulus, and adequate recovery is necessary for maximum muscle growth.
    Totally agree. Rest is crucial for growth.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Totally agree. Rest is crucial for growth.
    True! I'm a f'n hard head though, I usually train until submission. That's probably why I can't gain... I overtrain at times, I know there's been times where in 2 months I'd take 4-6 days off. I love it! Stupid, because I want to gain.

SID!

Thread Information