• 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 1 Post By magic32
  • 1 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 1 Post By charger69

Thread: Levothyroxine dosages

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Levothyroxine dosages

I had my thyroid removed and I know that I will get tests about 3 weeks down the road, but I started on 125 mg and that seems extremely low. I would take 100 mcg when I had a thyroid.

Also, the thyroid produces 80% T4 and 20%T3 however the Dr only prescribed T4. Why no T3? I know some T4 converts to T3, but I would have expected a prescription for both.
    Any insight?

flexin-rph is offline Member
    I rarely see T3 (liothyronine) prescribed....mostly in extreme, non-responsive cases. I really can't tell you what the reason is.

Viktoriia is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    I had my thyroid removed and I know that I will get tests about 3 weeks down the road, but I started on 125 mg and that seems extremely low. I would take 100 mcg when I had a thyroid.

Also, the thyroid produces 80% T4 and 20%T3 however the Dr only prescribed T4. Why no T3? I know some T4 converts to T3, but I would have expected a prescription for both.
    Any insight?
    why did they remove the thyroid gland? what was the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriia View Post
    why did they remove the thyroid gland? what was the reason?
    Cancer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viktoriia is offline Female Member
    Cancer

sorry for the question. if you do not mind, I will ask you. please tell me do you smoke, use alcohol, do you eat pork, drugs? it’s just always been interesting how? a person goes in for sports, always abides by the regime, and it turns out that the person is sick

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    doctors usually always start with prescribing just T4, wither people are just hypothyroid or had it removed. thyroid (metabolism) has 3 basic parts to it , the release of TSH from the pituitary, which then stimulates the thyroid gland to produce T4 and then the T4 to be converted to T3 mainly in the liver.
    doctors generally assume the issue is with the thyroid gland itself and not a problem with your liver , so T4 prescribing is done first and thats generally all thats needed . however if through blood work later on they find you have a problem with your liver as well not converting then thats when T3 is given (I'm sure some docs go right to the point though and will prescribe t3 or a T4/T3 combo)

I'd just start with the 100mcg scripted T4 and go from there .. if you find yourself feeling tired and lethargic all the time and putting on excess body fat , then you may need a higher dose or you may need a t4/t3 combo.

also, thyroid plays a small role in bone density support (through the hormone calcitonin) . you may want to supplement with some bone support supplements and vitamin k.. however you do use AAS and that definitely helps with bone loss

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    doctors usually always start with prescribing just T4, wither people are just hypothyroid or had it removed. thyroid (metabolism) has 3 basic parts to it , the release of TSH from the pituitary, which then stimulates the thyroid gland to produce T4 and then the T4 to be converted to T3 mainly in the liver.
    doctors generally assume the issue is with the thyroid gland itself and not a problem with your liver , so T4 prescribing is done first and thats generally all thats needed . however if through blood work later on they find you have a problem with your liver as well not converting then thats when T3 is given (I'm sure some docs go right to the point though and will prescribe t3 or a T4/T3 combo)

I'd just start with the 100mcg scripted T4 and go from there .. if you find yourself feeling tired and lethargic all the time and putting on excess body fat , then you may need a higher dose or you may need a t4/t3 combo.

also, thyroid plays a small role in bone density support (through the hormone calcitonin) . you may want to supplement with some bone support supplements and vitamin k.. however you do use AAS and that definitely helps with bone loss
    The thing that I don’t understand is the thyroid produces both. This means that to have the proper T3 your liver has to convert the remaining portion of T4.
    Now you have eliminated the T3, so all of the T3needs to come from the T4 conversion. Is this super taxing on the liver? My liver never had to convert so much.

Let’s say that I am low on T4. The pituitary will signal to produce, but no thyroid to produce. Does it send a stronger signal to produce?
    I am thinking of the pituitary like Obs. I can see him, “ come on mother fucker produce”...... then all hell breaks loose and chainsaws and tools flying everywhere. LOL
    I think the picture I painted gets my point across.

The road likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    You'll occasionally see both prescribed on extreme cases but a good many endocrinologists feel the T4 to T3 conversion is sufficient. (I think it clips off an iodine molecule or something).

My wife is on name brand 225mcg. She doesn't respond to the generics for some reason We even made a trip for her to see a thyroidologist (they are out there), and they stated that at such a low dosage increment any variation affects some people, so name brand it is.....and no, they don't make a 225mcg. You have to buy 200mcg and 25mcg dosages, and they both cost the same.

Edit: If I recall correctly, she started @ 150mcg around 7 years ago +/- .
    Last edited by almostgone; 06-21-2020 at 11:42 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    You'll occasionally see both prescribed on extreme cases but a good many endocrinologists feel the T4 to T3 conversion is sufficient. (I think it clips off an iodine molecule or something).

My wife is on name brand 225mcg. She doesn't respond to the generics for some reason We even made a trip for her to see a thyroidologist (they are out there), and they stated that at such a low dosage increment any variation affects some people, so name brand it is.....and no, they don't make a 225mcg. You have to buy 200mcg and 25mcg dosages, and they both cost the same.
    I will be getting bloods to dial it in, but it takes awhile for the present levels to decrease and level off.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktoriia View Post
    sorry for the question. if you do not mind, I will ask you. please tell me do you smoke, use alcohol, do you eat pork, drugs? it’s just always been interesting how? a person goes in for sports, always abides by the regime, and it turns out that the person is sick
    Smoke, drugs, pork- no
    Alcohol- please. LOL
    I compete so the alcohol is limited except during corona virus. LOL

I think it is more hereditary and in the genes. My mother and sister both died due to cancer. My father had prostrate cancer and they removed everything.
    I always try to defy the odds in everything that I do.

I will be getting bloods to dial it in, but it takes awhile for the present levels to decrease and level off.

Yes sir, it does. From want I've been told, that's one reason they prefer to work with T4. They don't have to be nearly so meticulous about the initial dosage since you're working with mcg.
    Last edited by almostgone; 06-21-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

its not really a 'binary' process (meaning just an off and on switch) . its more like a dimmer switch, and is stable and regulatory over time.. now sure the first few days your going to be converting a lot of T4 to T3, but after a week T3 levels are stable and that daily 100mcg of T4 is more then enough and your body probably won't even use it all (so no extra stress on the liver at all)

your pituitary isn't going to be getting any signaling to produce TSH , because of the exogenous T4 your taking and because after a week your T3 levels should be totally stable .

its only if your body has a converting problem that you may run into issues (some people have a problem converting t4 to t3 so they have to just simply take t3.. but thats not all that common)

its not really a 'binary' process (meaning just an off and on switch) . its more like a dimmer switch, and is stable and regulatory over time.. now sure the first few days your going to be converting a lot of T4 to T3, but after a week T3 levels are stable and that daily 100mcg of T4 is more then enough and your body probably won't even use it all (so no extra stress on the liver at all)

your pituitary isn't going to be getting any signaling to produce TSH , because of the exogenous T4 your taking and because after a week your T3 levels should be totally stable .

its only if your body has a converting problem that you may run into issues (some people have a problem converting t4 to t3 so they have to just simply take t3.. but thats not all that common)
    Good- my pituitary will not act like Obs! LOL
    Thanks. I have researched significantly however a lot of details are not defined.

Smoke, drugs, pork- no
    Alcohol- please. LOL
    I compete so the alcohol is limited except during corona virus. LOL

I think it is more hereditary and in the genes. My mother and sister both died due to cancer. My father had prostrate cancer and they removed everything.
    I always try to defy the odds in everything that I do.

Good call on the pork...LOL, I always get heat when I post that, but since it's you Charger, I'll take the flak.
    charger69 likes this.

flexin-rph is offline Member
    They will (should) draw blood level every 6 weeks until level is correct.
    almostgone likes this.

Will a cycle have any effect on the T3 or T4 levels?

I can't speak for AAS, but things like corticosteroids don't always mix well with thyroid meds according to the thyroidologist/endocrinologist @ Duke the wife saw.
    He advised her to stay clear of stuff like Prednisone.

That was really more of an FYI than answer....sorry.
    Last edited by almostgone; 06-21-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Sorry so late to the thread...

The main point is that you had thyroid cancer.
    Depending upon how high risk your type of cancer is the first step.
    Then the doctors will target a TSH range.

https://www.thyroidcancer.com/thyroi...normal%20range.

The proper dose of T4 is dependent on LBM.
    You being a larger jacked guy I will venture to guess that you will end up on close to 200mcg.
    200mcg as mentioned earlier is the largest dose made.

Chances are you don't need T3.
    People who need T3 have a condition where they convert most of their T4 into reverse T3. (reverse T3 is unusable to the body)
    (Main stream doctors mostly prescribe T4. I am aware of people who insist on getting T4 plus T3 or using Armour which is pig thyroid extract which contains both.)
    You can read stop the thyroid madness. Just be aware the most doctors don't lean that way.
    Believe what you want to believe.)

https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/

To give a few examples....

I have a friend that had her thyroid removed due to cancer.
    Not sure how much they are trying to suppress her TSH but...
    she weighs about 140lbs and is on 125mcg.

I personally have Hashimoto's.
    It is an auto immune disease where my body attacks and eventually kills off my thyroid.
    I weigh about 225lbs and am on 175mcg. (and my thyroid is still functioning somewhat.)
    I was on 125mcg T4 and 10 mcg (5mcg twice a day) of T3.
    I switched off the T3 out of convenience.
    I couldn't tell the difference.

T3 needs to be dosed multiple times a day due to its short half life.
    T4 is once a day.

They start patients on a lower dose and tritrate up.
    There are risks to overdosing thyroid meds.
    I won't list them all but just imagine a metabolism that is too fast.

I hope this helps.

Good luck in your journey.
    almostgone likes this.

The road is offline Banned- I said my goodbyes.
    Good- my pituitary will not act like Obs! LOL
    Thanks. I have researched significantly however a lot of details are not defined.

If I was your pituitary I would be ashamed!
    charger69 likes this.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions

I believe Trenbolone has lowers T3 levels. I’m not sure about the others
    GearHeaded likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    I believe Trenbolone has lowers T3 levels. I’m not sure about the others
    in animal studies done on Cattle .. Tren administration was shown to significantly lower free T4 levels .. which then ultimately leads to lower T3 levels.
    but I don't think Tren directly effects the conversion of T4 into T3. so if your taking exogenous T4 anyways , it shouldn't really be an effect.

on a side note - the cattle in the study group that received Tren had more lean weight gain and much better feed efficiency even though their T4 levels were supressed.
    imagine how much more that would be if they were given Tren and a bit of T4 as well.

had plenty of clients wonder why I'm recommending them running T4 during a "bulk" with low dose Tren (well because the Tren is going to suppress your T4 levels , and having some additional T4 will only help your feed efficiency even more)
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

in animal studies done on Cattle .. Tren administration was shown to significantly lower free T4 levels .. which then ultimately leads to lower T3 levels.
    but I don't think Tren directly effects the conversion of T4 into T3. so if your taking exogenous T4 anyways , it shouldn't really be an effect.

on a side note - the cattle in the study group that received Tren had more lean weight gain and much better feed efficiency even though their T4 levels were supressed.
    imagine how much more that would be if they were given Tren and a bit of T4 as well.

had plenty of clients wonder why I'm recommending them running T4 during a "bulk" with low dose Tren (well because the Tren is going to suppress your T4 levels , and having some additional T4 will only help your feed efficiency even more)
    So now GH is calling me a fat cow! LOL

So now GH is calling me a fat cow! LOL
    the last time Charger sent me a progress pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9yyw2c2k18w41.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	179381
    the tren seems to be working

the last time Charger sent me a progress pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9yyw2c2k18w41.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	179381
    the tren seems to be working
    This really has me thinking I need to up the dose
    The road likes this.

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    The intestines also participate in T4 to T3 conversion. Your liver will be fine, it'll do it's usual job, there are no overtaxing concerns.

Generally, the absence of the T gland, warrants a minimum 200 mcg dosage, but just follow your doc's instructions, he/she will mitigate it as necessary based on your test results.

As cited earlier, physicians prefer to prescribe T4 largely because it's a once a day med. There are also compound meds, i.e., T3 and T4 in the same tab which is sometimes prescribed.

Stay the course Charger, and I'm glad your ok man!
    Master Pai Mei of the White Lotus Clan

My motto: SAFETY & RESPECT (for drugs and others).

I AM NOT A SOURCE, I DO NOT GIVE OUT SOURCES, OR PROVIDE SOURCE CHECKS.
    I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY UGL's OR ANY ORGANIZATION DEALING WITH THE DISTRIBUTION OF ILLEGAL NARCOTICS/SUBSTANCES!

Difference between Drugs & Poisons
    http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-steroids-questions-answers/317700-best-fat-loss-compound.html

Half-lives explained
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...inal+half+life

DNP like Chemotherapy, can be a useful poison, but both are still POISONS
    http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-steroids-questions-answers/306144-dnp-issue.html

BE CAREFUL!

Quote Originally Posted by magic32 View Post
    The intestines also participate in T4 to T3 conversion. Your liver will be fine, it'll do it's usual job, there are no overtaxing concerns.

Generally, the absence of the T gland, warrants a minimum 200 mcg dosage, but just follow your doc's instructions, he/she will mitigate it as necessary based on your test results.

As cited earlier, physicians prefer to prescribe T4 largely because it's a once a day med. There are also compound meds, i.e., T3 and T4 in the same tab which is sometimes prescribed.

Stay the course Charger, and I'm glad your ok man!
    I’m sure I’ll make up my own prescription around competition time. LOL

Merck KGaA, makes a combo, Charger.

Thyroids are for pussies
    charger69 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Yes, I have some from Mexico. I get them OTC.

almostgone likes this.

Thread Information