• 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 3 Post By magic32
  • 1 Post By Quester
  • 1 Post By magic32

Thread: Magnesium and cramps

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member

Magnesium and cramps

I made a little discovery. I was getting a lot of muscle cramps the last month. It happens to me around the 2 month mark during every cycle, but this time it was especially bad with taking Anavar .

Just yesterday I was getting cramps in my arms when texting. I got cramps in my calfs when sitting up from a seated position. I got cramps doing anything.

I read about magnesium and had some in my pill drawer. Took a 200 mg capsule and within 1 hr my cramps went away.

Now, the next morning while writing this, I can feel my calfs cramping up again.

So.... I guess I’m gonna need to take magnesium on cycle from now on. I was thinking it could be blood thickness related, and who knows what else. Glad I apparently found the problem.

Another thing I learned: If the cramps come on during the middle of or at the end of a strenuous activity, it is likely potassium related; up your potassium. If the cramps come on during rest/sleep, it is magnesium related.
    i_SLAM_cougars and Quester like this.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This is a big part of the reason why I include ZMA in my on cycle supplements. Pretty much all gear really ramps up your body’s usage of zinc and magnesium. It doesn’t help that most people’s diets are extremely deficient in magnesium. The best whole food sources of it are a lot lower now than they used to be, due to soil depletion issues with modern farming.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    Just don’t go too crazy with it or you’ll poop your pants.

I find tonic water helps as well. For years, after a long workday in the hot months where you just sweat and sweat all day, I would probably 3 days a week get these wicked leg cramps after I’d go home where I’d have to just lay on the floor and try not to scream. Tonic water would have me fixed in like two minutes
    Test Monsterone likes this.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Magnesium helps with potassium retention/ availability and to a lesser degree, calcium. Potassium can reduce cramps due to electrolyte depletion. It generally doesn't work so quickly, though.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Administering magnesium has a bandaid effect. Magnesium supports muscles and nerves, as well as the interactions between the two systems as the latter underlies the former. As such it serves more as a mild muscle relaxant, which in turn prevented your muscles from seizing/cramping. However, when the dose (increased amount) fully metabolized your actual problem returned, hence my bandaid reference, i.e., you covered up the issue.

If you're cramping at all (well worked muscles) or all over with the slightest reactivation of resting muscles, i.e., standing up, then low electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and zinc) levels is your actual problem. And if it's this severe (standing) and prolonged (overnight into the next day) don't just eat a banana or two for more potassium. Administer a concentrated supplement complex containing all or most of the primary electrolytes (cited above) - ready made drinks, powders, dissolving tablets, capulses, etc.

For more on the topic, I wrote a piece on dehydration for ProBodybuilding.com:

Dehydration
    Master Pai Mei of the White Lotus Clan

My motto: SAFETY & RESPECT (for drugs and others).

I AM NOT A SOURCE, I DO NOT GIVE OUT SOURCES, OR PROVIDE SOURCE CHECKS.
    I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY UGL's OR ANY ORGANIZATION DEALING WITH THE DISTRIBUTION OF ILLEGAL NARCOTICS/SUBSTANCES!

Difference between Drugs & Poisons
    http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-steroids-questions-answers/317700-best-fat-loss-compound.html

Half-lives explained
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...inal+half+life

DNP like Chemotherapy, can be a useful poison, but both are still POISONS
    http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-steroids-questions-answers/306144-dnp-issue.html

BE CAREFUL!

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    On the other hand if you are magnesium deficient (which isn't common), your electrolytes and many other bodily functions will be affected.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Magnesium serve as an inhibitor (a good one in this case), it's one reason why people take it before bed. Without magnesium, the muscle fires poorly and we get cramps, tremors, hyper-reflexia, etc.

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Magnesium deficiency is rare in healthy adults, as food variety usually provides enough.

Health problems associated with severly low magnesium are major. Muscle twitches, tremors and muscle cramps are early signs of magnesium deficiency, the next stage is Jimmy Legs, or RLS - Restless Leg Syndrome, which hinders sleep.

Scientists believe these symptoms are caused by a greater flow of calcium into nerve cells, which overexcites or hyperstimulates the muscle nerves.

Nevertheless, if you ever have cramping, remember to take electrolytes and to hold them in your mouth before swallowing for more immediate sub-/supralingual and buccal absorption effects.

Also, the world's quickest cramp remedy occurs in 75 seconds, when you slowly sip pickle juice, which was once openly marketed as an electrolyte drink...look it up!!!

I encourage you to look up anything you read in my posts, don't just take my word for it. Perform your due diligence.

Best to you.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.
    Master Pai Mei of the White Lotus Clan

My motto: SAFETY & RESPECT (for drugs and others).

I AM NOT A SOURCE, I DO NOT GIVE OUT SOURCES, OR PROVIDE SOURCE CHECKS.
    I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY UGL's OR ANY ORGANIZATION DEALING WITH THE DISTRIBUTION OF ILLEGAL NARCOTICS/SUBSTANCES!

Difference between Drugs & Poisons
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=317700

Half-lives explained
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...inal+half+life

DNP like Chemotherapy, can be a useful poison, but both are still POISONS
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=306144

BE CAREFUL!

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magic32 View Post
    Administering magnesium has a bandaid effect. Magnesium supports muscles and nerves, as well as the interactions between the two systems as the latter underlies the former. As such it serves more as a mild muscle relaxant, which in turn prevented your muscles from seizing/cramping. However, when the dose (increased amount) fully metabolized your actual problem returned, hence my bandaid reference, i.e., you covered up the issue.

If you're cramping at all (well worked muscles) or all over with the slightest reactivation of resting muscles, i.e., standing up, then low electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and zinc) levels is your actual problem. And if it's this severe (standing) and prolonged (overnight into the next day) don't just eat a banana or two for more potassium. Administer a concentrated supplement complex containing all or most of the primary electrolytes (cited above) - ready made drinks, powders, dissolving tablets, capulses, etc.

For more on the topic, I wrote a piece on dehydration for ProBodybuilding.com:

Dehydration

Thanks Magic, I've been reading your article and there is a lot of useful information, and very well written. There seems to be a lot more to hydration than meets the eye. I will have to run bloodwork in the future to see what is deficient and why it happens at this point in my cycle. Could be the effect of Anavar /DHB on the kidneys & liver. The fact is I had this happen at the end of a sustanon cycle as well. For now I'm taking megamen's multivitamins, with additional magnesium, and a baby aspirin for good measure. Since stopping the anavar and taking this protocol, I haven't noticed nearly as much cramping. Maybe I am just bandaiding a bigger problem, but it will have to do for now unless I can figure out what else could be the culprit. I have been sweating a lot more than usual, especially working out in my garage in this hot ass weather.

Thread Information