newcomer is offline New Member

Supplement Forum!

Hey, I know this is the steriod forum, but there is never anyone in the supplement forum. I am only 18 and I am obviously not ready to cycle yet, so I will stick to the supplement for a little bit longer. But if some of you weightlifting experts could stop by in the supplement forum every now and then to help us out, we would all greatly appreciate it. Thanks

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    Well Im not exactly a weightlifting expert but I will start stoping by to see if I can help out.

rangerdudeleads is offline Senior Member
    I think the best supplement out there if I had to choose would have to be the celltech grape flavor, Ive tried most of all the supplements and have never touched them again when I turned to the dark side..lol.
    I still take celltech after a good cycle, just a habit.
    I love that stuff .

BDTR is offline Retired
    Make your own transport system and dont waste your money on musclecrap products. Creatine, dextrose, and ala post workout in your shake.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Food is the best supplement.

newcomer is offline New Member
    what is "ala" bdtr??

BDTR is offline Retired
    Glucose transport system. Helps shuttle the carbs for ya as well as an incredible anti-oxidant.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickson
    Food is the best supplement.
    I agree.

biggdude is offline Junior Member

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    this really needs to be moved, but i'll let it ride so the word gets out for ya bro.

for my part, i'll try and stop by the supps forum more often myself.

peace I4L

Ex_banana-eater is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Glucose transport system. Helps shuttle the carbs for ya as well as an incredible anti-oxidant.

I imagine if this 18 year old would get little glucose transport effects from ALA, unless he is obese. It works best in insulin resistant people, not young insulin sensitive healthy people. Antioxidant effects are still good tho

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by newcomer
    what is "ala" bdtr??
    Before we get into Alpha Lipoic Acid, let's take a look at what happens to food when it enters the body:

A normal meal:

Food is consumed.
    This food is converted into glucose for energy.
    Insulin is released by the pancreas to shuttle the glucose into muscle and fat cells (assuming liver glycogen levels are full). Once the muscle cells are full, all excess glucose is shuttled to fat cells.

Now let's look at a meal taken with ALA:

Food is consumed.
    This food is converted into glucose for energy.
    Insulin is released by the pancreas to shuttle the glucose into muscle and fat cells. Once the muscle cells are full, all excess glucose is shuttled to fat cells.
    Now this is where ALA comes into play. In order for glucose to be carried into cells, it must be attached to insulin. ALA is shown to have an insulin mimicking effect. So then more glucose would be shuttled to fat cells because the muscle cells are full, right? Wrong! Studies show that ALA increases Glut-4 transporters on the outside of muscle cells. This means more glucose can be shuttled into muscle cells and away from fat cells. Studies show that the amount of glucose shuttled to your muscles can increase from 50-60%. For those who are not that good in math: This means if you ate 100 carbs and originally without ALA, 40 grams of glucose went to your muscles cells and the rest, 60 grams, went to fat cells. Now, by supplementing with ALA, you have the power to send 60 grams of glucose and only 40 to fat cells. That is a big difference! How you ask.

Insulin Effect

ALA has an insulin like effect. It does not take the place of insulin, only mimics it. (To learn about insulin and its effects you can read my Insulin article). ALA has been shown to increase glucose uptake by mimicking insulin and shuttling it to Glut-4 receptors as mentioned above. Because ALA has increased the number of Glut-4 receptors on the outside of the muscle, more glucose can be absorbed.

Effects of Increased Glucose Uptake

This increase of glucose does many positive things. These include:

1. Increased pump
    2. Less fat accumulation
    3. Increases Amino Acid transport
    4. Increases creatine
    5. Increased insulin sensitivity
    6. Increased Pump

Increased Pump

The increased pump is due to the increase in glucose uptake. Not only does this feel great, but it also contributes to muscle growth. By increasing the muscle cells volume, but nutrients are able to be shuttled to the muscle. Hence increased muscle growth.

Less Fat Accumulation

Again, due to the increase in glucose uptake by muscles cells, less glucose is stored as fat. ALA also lowers one's blood sugar levels, creating a more suitable atmosphere for fat burning.

Increased Amino Acid and Creatine Uptake

This comes back to the increased pump. Because the muscle cells are in an enlarged state, more amino acids and creatine can reach them. Insulin increases amino acid and creatine uptake. Remember, ALA mimics insulin, which means it also increases amino acid and creatine uptake. There are a ton of creatine products on the market that are loaded with sugar. This is because sugar causes an insulin spike, which carries the creatine to muscle cells. The problem with this is an excess amount of sugar with cause you to gain fat. By supplementing with ALA you can carry more creatine to muscle cells without swallowing 75+ grams of sugar. I still recommend taking a simple sugary carb after your workout, but ALA can increase creatine uptake while you take a lower amount of sugar. This is very important for those who are cutting. They can get the same effects post workout without having to worry about storing excess carbs as fat.

Increased Insulin Sensitivity

This is great news for bodybuilders! When I go on a bulking cycle. I find that about after two months, my gains slow drastically. One way to combat this is to go on a brief cutting cycle to and your insulin sensitivity rebuild. Supplementing with ALA could allow you to add more mass as a result of your insulin sensitivity not reducing.

Results During Cutting vs. Bulking

Results will differ depends on your diet. If you are bulking, you can expect to less fat and more muscle gain because of ALA nutrient partitioning effect.

Results from cutting are increased fat loss and a muscle sparing effect. Because your muscles are storing more glucose, your muscles will not become as depleted as they usually do when cutting. This helps you look full and not flat.

Written by Derek Charlebois
    abstrack@protonmail.com

biggdude is offline Junior Member
    nice article!! alot of good info

Ex_banana-eater is offline Junior Member
    LOL what an article... it is still unclear how glucose disposal from ALA works.. although they have no trouble writing it is an 'insulin mimicker'. LMAO the whole thing is junk... the studies showing that ALA works for these purposes are in obese insulin resistant zucker rats. Rats that are not obese did NOT recieve these effects!!

Thread Information