BigHairyMonster is offline New Member

Computer and Privacy Safety

Hey all, I just read that old thread that someone dug up about the cops calling and everyone replying with get your computer out of the house, and it got me thinking....there has got to be some computer experts on here who know the best way to keep all of your e-mailing and surfing permanently private. I mean, of course, I am not doing anything but surfing for research and curiosity purposes. But if someone else saw that info, they might not understand that it was only out of curiosity and for research. So anyway, what's the best ways to keep e-mails private and your computer clean. I would imagine secure on-line based e-mail, like Ziplip and Hushmail etc... for e-mail, and programs such as History Killer and Tracks Eraser for keeping the computer clean.....but do all of these really work? Are they the best ways? Are there better ways, if so what....Also, what about ISP tracing....with DSL and Cable connections etc..... I think any and all info in this vein would be helpfull to a lot of people. Too many people might jump to the wrong conclusions if they saw some of the things we were researching, so better to nip that in the bud and be safe instead of sorry.

Big Hairy Monster in the House

basskiller is offline Associate Member
    Zone alarm... It alerts you to anyone trying to hack into your pc..

Yeah, but what about an actual physical exam of your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by basskiller
    Zone alarm... It alerts you to anyone trying to hack into your pc..

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHairyMonster
    Yeah, but what about an actual physical exam of your computer.

I posted this before. Don't ever think ur safe. I have a cop friend in the cyber crimes unit and if he wants to read ur email he will. Some of the shit he showed me was UNREAL!! For a physical exam of the hard drive, i was told they can still see info on the drive after 10 reformats. If you want to be 100% safe, throw out the drive and get a new one.

BDTR is offline Retired
    keep lighter fluid and a lighter next to your harddrive. It's the only surefire way. If they want it and it's been on your HD, you can rewrite it 1000x and they can still find something.

DF2003 is offline Banned Boofus

Wow

Auto Destruct!

They can't pull up what you have viewed on-line can they? Like the board or online e-mail, like ziplip etc.... Assuming you never dump the actual e-mail's or PM's or Post's onto your computer. I mean if someone got your computer, could they somehow review what you have viewed on-line?

Also, what about people tracking you down from cyber-space.....
    For example someone watching posts and then back tracking and locating your actual physical location. I know we are all just role playing and doing research and all, and nothing we are doing is illegal....just kind of creepy...you know, big brother is watching......

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    I posted this before. Don't ever think ur safe. I have a cop friend in the cyber crimes unit and if he wants to read ur email he will. Some of the shit he showed me was UNREAL!! For a physical exam of the hard drive, i was told they can still see info on the drive after 10 reformats. If you want to be 100% safe, throw out the drive and get a new one.

Bump for my responses....this is very interesting to me.

BHMitH

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    They can do whatever they want. If he wants to look at ur mail, he will flag ur I.P. address. Anything coming or going he will be albe to look at. This aint nothing new, you can do most of this online. The cyber crimes unit can do ANYTHING! Don't think ziplip will save you. You have no rights online....yet.

Big_BoneZ is offline Associate Member
    thats right - Internet is NOT safe, all your credit card info, passwords and what u do can be seen by unauthorised parties

but as far as your surfing goes.. make sure u delete all your cookies and temporary files
    and go to Tools-> options and set the history to 0 days... its defaulted to 20 days... so u keep history of visited pages for 20 days, just change that to 0
    and from same screen, u can also delete cookies and temporary files.

And if your gonna have a physical exam and u know about it before hand ( u need atleast 20 mins), you can do a FDISK and even GOD cant recover from that disk

Thread Information