Thread: antibiotics

gwendels is offline Junior Member

antibiotics

Doc prescribed tetracycline for acne. Will this interfere with testosterone 500mg/wk?

bjf
    bjf is offline New Member
    I'm not good with technical words cause english is not my native language but I'll try... I read something about steroids being re-absorbed by some part of the digestive system, there's some kind of bacteria in there that "recycles" the steroids and send them back to your blood, when you're on antibiotics (not sure about tetracycline) the quantity of that bacteria descreases a lot, so you get less "recycling" and you have less steroids in your body than you would if not taking antibiotics.
    I know I was vague but I remember reading a nice explanation, including details, I just can't find it.

Bruno

100571 is offline Associate Member
    bump. good question. many people use antibiotics to combat the acne that gear gives them. I have heard that you should not run gear with antibiotics, but couldn't tell you why. BJF's post makes sense...

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    I would like to see some studys of that.

Rich8888 is offline Member
    It won't hinder your gains..that you'll be able to notice. Take the antibiotics and no worries.
    R

pete675 is offline Junior Member
    I'm not sure, but somebody told me that anti-biotics are very catabolic.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Well since it's just to help with your acne go ahead and stayu on cycle. now if you were sick or something and they prescribe you medication I'd say get off cycle and just wait until your meds are done, just to play it safe. If you're sick there's no sense in working out and hence no sense in taking gear, unless you'll only be out for a week.

darmadoc is offline Member
    I have never heard of any enterohe[atic circulation of steroids , and certainly not one that requires bacteria. Tetracyclines work by shutting off bacterial ribosomes. As you may recall from your old biology ribosomes are needed to make protein. Thus, the concern that tetracycline may interfere with muscle synthesis. However, human ribosomes are different from bacterial ribosomes, and the anount of tetracycline is usually not very high. So, the interaction is probably theoretical and at worse minimal. I would take the tetracycline and not worry about it.

Thread Information