Slugger is offline Junior Member

Boxing Lifting Workout

If I am boxing 5 days a week, sparring 3 days a week, running 5 days a week (5 days doing miles 3 days doing sprints) is this a good routine? I will

Day 1 Tuesday

Squats 10 8 6 4 2 (quads,calves)
    Deadlifts 10 8 6 4 2 (hamstrings, lowerback, traps)
    Barbell Shrugs 10 8 6 4 2 (traps)
    Standing Lat raises 10 8 6 4 2 (side and rear delts)

Day 2 Friday

Dumbell Press 10 8 6 4 2 (chest,front delts,triceps)
    Lat Pulldowns behind neck 10 8 6 4 2 (lats)
    Standing barbell curls (biceps, back forearms)
    Reverse barbell curls (brachialis, front forearms)
    4 way Neck Machine 5x10 (neck)

Suppose I wasn't boxing or doing cardio, would this be a good routine if your just strictly lifting? Keep in mind I take supps but NO juice.
    Last edited by Slugger; 09-11-2003 at 10:12 PM.

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    judging from your workout it seems as though you are training more for hypertrophy than muscular endurance.

i box myself and found that my sparring improved along with the strength of my punches when i focused more on volume.

instead of doing a descending pyramid style routine 10 8 6 4 2 try doing 3 sets of 12 and a final burnout set to 15...you may need to decrease poundage on that last set.

if you train for endurance with lighter weight you will have improved technique in the ring and more agility.

size really doesn't matter as long as you can make your last punch in a fight as intense and hard as your first.

my boxing coach had a good split that encompassed sparring 3 days a week and lifting 2 with 2 days of cardio...i will see if i can find it as it really worked well keeping me close to my fight weight.

Thread Information