DIRT09 is offline New Member

quality gains vs. quantity gains

I have been thinking about this a lot. I am planning on doing a sust deca cycle, it will be my third. Then I got to wondering if it would be better to do a more safer quality cycle. I know I wont gain as much weight overall using say a var primo compared to a sust deca, but I will keep a better part of the previous. So my question to you guys are do you think doing lower quaility cycles are better than doing higher quantity cycles. I am interested to hear your responses.

Dirt

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I always like lean gains. I don't like dbol or deca cause water weight is such a problem(even with anti-e's)
    I'd much rather prefer to do test only, or couple some EQ, fina, var, etc for nice lean gains, with little to no water retension that is just dropping off at cycles end.

And who says you cant make quantity with quality. I'm up 22Lbs with a 1.5-2% drop in BF on my current and I don't use any AS that causes retension to the degree that the "mass" gainers do

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Pheedno, could we see the layout of your current cycle?

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT09
    I have been thinking about this a lot. I am planning on doing a sust deca cycle, it will be my third. Then I got to wondering if it would be better to do a more safer quality cycle. I know I wont gain as much weight overall using say a var primo compared to a sust deca, but I will keep a better part of the previous. So my question to you guys are do you think doing lower quaility cycles are better than doing higher quantity cycles. I am interested to hear your responses.

Dirt
    imo, quality vs. quantity is a left-field concept that is subject to different interpretations.

quality v. quantity can manifest itself in either strength or mass. quantity mass can be increased significantly with drugs that are notorious for water retention, ie. anadrol , dbol while quality mass would be actual mass gains that do NOT come from water, like EQ or stanz.

your post cycle therapy , caloric intake, and diet will all dictate how much of your gains you actually keep. just running certain drugs will not yield great results if the former are not all in check

wk1-10 75mg Fina
    wk1-25 625mg Enan
    wk13-24 600mg EQ
    wk16-27 75mg Fina

Not for the beginer.

I also agree with daem that both the quantity and quality are dictated by training, diet, and PCT. The more you know about those three factors in realtion to yourself, the better the gains will be on both the quantity and quality.

Another thing to consider is that most mass producing AS such as Deca , Drol, and dbol are love/hate drugs. I personally don't like them. If I'm retaining more than 5Lbs of water, I feel that I look like a sloppy SOB in the mirror. On the leaner producers such as Fina or EQ, I always look hard, with striations, and vascularity. Thats my ideal look

t-rex is offline Associate Member
    hey pheedno, what does your diet look like, cal, carbs, fat, protein intake ect. The reason I am asking is because I like to stay pretty lean also and I am just curious

This was my begining diet:
    8am:
    2 Eggs
    1/2 pint whites
    1 cup oatmeal
    8oz Chicken breast
    Cals-775

11am:
    2 Cups Pinto beans
    8oz Chicken breast
    Cals-660

2pm:
    1 Cup oatmeal
    1 can Tuna
    Cals-500

4:30-Preworkout
    3 scoops Whey
    Cals-390

6:30pm
    PW Shake
    Apple
    Cals-695

8pm
    1-1/2 Cups Pinto Beans
    8oz Chicken breast(Salmon & Snapper substituted 3x plus a week)
    Cals-540

Wake up snack
    1 cup Cottage cheese
    Peach/Mango Salsa
    Cals-140

Total 3,700
    Carbs-437
    Prote-355
    Fats-55

Carbs cycled in 50 down to 150g, then back up to original. Fats replace carbs on the decrease besides the first 2 days of carb depletion.(this gives me a 200 cal deficit the first day, and 400cal deficit the second day)

Now, I'm doing a simpler plan. 2900 cals for 5 days, and then a calorie load up to 3400.
    Protein is at 350
    Fats at 50
    Carbs at 260 on the 2900 cal days, 385 on 3400 cals days.

All carbs are from beans, oatmeal, and multi-grain hot cereal. Cannot stomach chicken anymore so i've switched to mostly fish, with some 96% lean beef a couple times a week.

Cardio is at 1 hour every morning 6 days a week, training at 6 days a week

t-rex is offline Associate Member
    pheedno, Looks good I also am tired of chicken, fish can get old too, so now I am starting to grill round steak which is pretty lean, about as lean as chicken. other than that my diet looks similar, I try to take in about 2800cal, 320 gr of protein, keep my carb at 300 or below. I also incorporate one cheat day a week to keep me sane, and I eat anything I want as much as I want.

Rookiejay is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT09
    ......... So my question to you guys are do you think doing lower quaility cycles are better than doing higher quantity cycles. ...........

Dirt
    I don't understand the question........

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    pheedno, Looks good I also am tired of chicken, fish can get old too, so now I am starting to grill round steak which is pretty lean, about as lean as chicken. other than that my diet looks similar, I try to take in about 2800cal, 320 gr of protein, keep my carb at 300 or below. I also incorporate one cheat day a week to keep me sane, and I eat anything I want as much as I want.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat home cooked chicken again. I gag trying to choke down 8-10oz. Fish is good as long as i change it up-Salmon, snapper, tuna, red fish, etc.
    And the 96% lean beef isn't bad. 4g of total fat per serving.

Steaks are too expensive for me to buy all the time. Every once in a while, the grocery will have a huge meat sale when business is dropping, and toss out strips and flank for about $2-$3 per Lb. I stock up then.

DIRT09 is offline New Member
    I understand that there is a difference between lean muscle gains such as var, primo eq winny etc. And you can get probably higher mass gains with bulkers like sust deca d-bol. I was just wondering what you guys consider the better route to take. I also realize that once the cycle is over you need to train and eat just as seriously as when you are on to keep your gains.

bump

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    I like being Lean.. Test , var , winny , EQ , Fina etc.. You can have both quality and quanity..

Rookiejay is offline Member
    I guess I'm missing something...

From what I understand the question is not quality vs. quantity ---

its low quality vs. high quantity - unless it's explained - the question doesn't make sense to me......

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheedno
    I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat home cooked chicken again. I gag trying to choke down 8-10oz. Fish is good as long as i change it up-Salmon, snapper, tuna, red fish, etc.

Steaks are too expensive for me to buy all the time. Every once in a while, the grocery will have a huge meat sale when business is dropping, and toss out strips and flank for about $2-$3 per Lb. I stock up then.
    you arent worried about mercury

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheedno

pheedno hate to be a bother but what does you workout look like i am trying to do pretty much the same thing but i am lowing the cabs more to try and push a more dramatic fat lose

Nixter is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ENraged
    you arent worried about mercury

No, that whole mercury thing turned out to be a bit of a media hype/scare. The amount of fish you'd have to injest in order to even approach anything near toxic levels would be insane.

Nixter.

Quote Originally Posted by ENraged
    pheedno hate to be a bother but what does you workout look like i am trying to do pretty much the same thing but i am lowing the cabs more to try and push a more dramatic fat lose
    Mon-Chest
    Warm up
    Incline Barbell- 3 sets, 6 reps or failure
    Flat Barbell- 3 sets, 6 reps or failure
    Decline Barbell- 3 sets, 6 reps or failure
    Incline Flys- 3 sets, Failure

Tues- Shoulders
    Side lateral- 3 sets, 8-12 reps
    Front Press- 3 sets, 6 reps
    Upright row- Superset wide/narrow grip 3 sets on 3 sets-6sets total

Wed- Quads/Calves
    Narrow squat- 3 sets, 8,6,3
    Wide Squat- 2 sets 3 reps
    Extensions- 5 sets, 6 reps
    Seated Raise- 3 sets, failure
    Standing Raise dumbell isolation- 4 sets, failure

Thurs-Tris/Abs
    Dips- 3 sets, failure(alternated with skull crushers wk to wk)
    Skull crushers- 4 sets 4-6 reps(one warm up, low weight)
    Close grip- 3 sets, 6 reps or failure
    kickbacks- 3 sets, failure
    Crunches 3 sets, failure

Fri- Back
    Chins- 2 sets(one to start back day, one to end)
    Deads- 4 sets 3-10 reps
    Chest supported Rows(for rear delts*3 second pause) 4 sets, failure
    Bent over row- 3 sets, failure
    T-Bar- 4 sets, failure

Sat- Hams/Bis
    Stiff leg- 4 sets, failure
    Leg curl- 4 sets, failure
    Barbell curl- 3 sets, failure
    Incline curl- 3 sets, failure
    Concentration curl- 3 sets, failure

Sun- Off

All sets with constant reps are using the same weight on all sets. The varied rep exercises constitute increased weight as sets are done. All sets to failure is done using the same weight on every set(besides warm up).

Thread Information