HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

insulin injections

can someone explain this in detail what this means im not fully understanding how you would go about doing this injection !
    "Subcutaneous insulin injections are usually given by pinching a fold of skin in the abdomen area."

also, this is in the drug profile "To speed up the effect of insulin, many athletes will inject their dosage into the thighs or triceps." is this true because i have read that the quickest and best way fro the insulin to be absorbed into the blood is throught the stomach ! can someone clear these 2 points up for me please !

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It is pretty simple. You pinch skin and inject in the fold between your fingers. IM injections are supposedly faster acting then subcutaneous so some take insulin that way although I would stick to sub Q.

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    im ussually shooting my insulin in the tops of my forearms its quick clean and easy to do as soon as i get in the car leaving the gym

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    IM has a lower absorbtion rate than SubQ though. I believe its 59% vs 67%. Its in my PDR, Id have to look it up if anyone wants to know exactly.

SubQ = Under the skin

Not in the fat, just under the skin.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    o ok so it is faster absorbtion to inject just under the skin in the abdomen !?!?! how deep would you all say you would have to go ? and how could that be better absorbtion in you inject say in the quad right into the muscle and blood stream !

"Insulin injected near the stomach works fastest. Insulin injected into the thigh works slowest and a shot in the arm works at medium speed."
    i just found this !

sorry my bad i didnt mean right into the blood i meant i just meant because you're injecting into the muscle it is absorbed pretty quick into your capillary system !
    Last edited by crosby7117; 09-21-2003 at 12:02 PM.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Its water based.

Injecting in the muscle isnt the same as injecting into the blood stream.

IV is very fast and only should be used in hosptials or by doctors.

Thread Information