alpineslide is offline Junior Member

checking blood pressure

How do those of you that monitor your blood pressure do it. Do you use one of those digital Blood Pressure cuffs that you can buy at drugstores ?
    If so are there any of them that you'd suggest buying.

One more question...those blood pressure machines that are in a lot of drug stores say that they are for people with average sized arms 9"-13". Say my arms are around 17"...would that machine give me a high or low measurement

Da Bull is offline Banned
    I know people who bought the drugstore types.They had no problems with them.I get my neighbor who is a doc to do it for me.I have same problem with the ones in stores.I have 18" guns and the reading is so not right. Da Bull

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    I know people who bought the drugstore types.They had no problems with them.I get my neighbor who is a doc to do it for me.I have same problem with the ones in stores.I have 18" guns and the reading is so not right. Da Bull
    they make them to clamp on the tips of your fingers try one of those

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ENraged
    they make them to clamp on the tips of your fingers try one of those
    Haven't seen those.But will look,if I find one maybe doc won't be so irratated at checking my bp all the time and up my xanax script.

toolman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    Haven't seen those.But will look,if I find one maybe doc won't be so irratated at checking my bp all the time and up my xanax script.
    The finger and wrist ones are worthless. The brand to buy is Omron. The style is the cuff style that wraps around your arm exactly how the doc does it. You can get the automatic ones in a drugstore for about $80.00. Ask any MD and thats the one they will tell you to buy. Worth every penny!

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Yep, Omron is what I got but I had to order a bigger cuff separately since the one it came with was, of course, too small. Maybe $15 or so.

Still definitely worth it and you're smart to monitor your BP. Gear can definitely raise it, it did mine.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I bought a LifeSource bp monitor at either Fry's or Wal-Mart, I don't remember, but I got the one with the large cuff, and it's good for 21" arms or so. Works pretty well, good deal for $40.
    But yeah, they make 'em for extra big arms. May have to try one on before you buy . . .
    --Tock

LocoLeprechaun is offline New Member
    I also got one of the automatic ones have to buy a seperate cuff, the one that came with it didnt fit around my arm had to get the extra large one, this is no shit so if anyone flames me about what I am about to say Im going to come to your house and wrap this arm around your neck and choke you until you recognize...... When i go to the doctor he uses the thigh cuff on my arm to take my bp and like he told me it is very important to make sure you have a cuff that fits your arm properly cause if it to small it will give you false high readings and if its to loose it will not read, I got mine at the local drug store dont remember how much I paid but its worth every penny and I always take my bp right before I go to the doc and its the same as he gets at the office so I would say its pretty accurate.

steadygaining1 is offline Associate Member
    Don't flame not an intentional hijack, but, so you get this great monitor, you obviously are eating clean so the sodium doesn't turn you into a balloon, and this monitor says your bp is high. What next, quit AS?

Quote Originally Posted by steadygaining1
    Don't flame not an intentional hijack, but, so you get this great monitor, you obviously are eating clean so the sodium doesn't turn you into a balloon, and this monitor says your bp is high. What next, quit AS?
    It depends how high it is, for how long, etc. However, yes, if it is very high, then you should stop your cycle. The bulk isn't worth s stroke or heart attack.

alpineslide is offline Junior Member
    How high would be considered to high ?

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman
    The finger and wrist ones are worthless. The brand to buy is Omron. The style is the cuff style that wraps around your arm exactly how the doc does it. You can get the automatic ones in a drugstore for about $80.00. Ask any MD and thats the one they will tell you to buy. Worth every penny!
    Thats is odd my doc just used the same thing on my son and I and had the same results I got from the ar cuff??? but i bet they have the super deluxe beast that cost more than i am willing to pay

hybrid is offline Member
    140/90 or more is considered high.

NoLimits is offline Member
    The Omron is a great device to have around. I monitor my blood pressure all the time... Past family history dictates I keep a close eye on it. And yes, it does go up during a cycle. Example... my normal range when not on is 133 over 80... but when I am on, it jumps to 159 over 86. It is a very smart purchase!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid
    140/90 or more is considered high.
    Yes this is the high reading, but not enough to go off cycle. I think when you sart seeing syst. above 160 or Diast. above 100, then you really should stop the cycle.

New GearGuy is offline Associate Member
    My experience with the machines in the stores are that they make my reading higher because they severyley constrict my arm and my presure goes thru the roof . Even when I go to the Dr. he has to use the larger cuff or the reading is high.

I have a pretty good unit I bought to check at home , and my wife got me a larger cuff .

good luck bro!

abc 1 is offline Associate Member
    once you have the home monitor, my doc recommended 3 readings in a row (spaced 10 minutes a part) 2 to 3 times a day. write down each reading and get an average. if your average is above 140/90 for 6 weeks or more, make an appt. with your doc.. your doc can set up a 24 hour monitor. if that proves high, then you may need medication, depends on the other tests you will get.

Thread Information