symatech is offline Retired Moderator

The Rubber Stopper is comming apart in my vial

I am withdrawing with 18g pin and after awhile i notice small pieces of the rubber stopper breaking off inside the vial. It is still sealed well. Is this a problem? Of course I wont draw it into the pin or inject it and it shouldnt affect the sterility of the gear because it was already inside...but do you bros think I should withdraw my prop with a smaller pin?

thanks

tbulldog is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, I experienced that with the Ttokkyo WV... that big needle just tears the rubber up... you can use 22,23, or even 25

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    I draw prop with a 22g with no problems. I use 30cc vials.

depdaddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    I am withdrawing with 18g pin and after awhile i notice small pieces of the rubber stopper breaking off inside the vial. It is still sealed well. Is this a problem? Of course I wont draw it into the pin or inject it and it shouldnt affect the sterility of the gear because it was already inside...but do you bros think I should withdraw my prop with a smaller pin?

thanks
    18 gauge way to big..your putting large holes..i would use 20/21 gauge to draw

got more pins in today. no more 18g. i guess ill just use those to inject my traps or something.

ichabodcrane is offline Associate Member
    I agree that 18g is too large for drawing up or even injecting for that matter. There is a little trick you can do to help avoid tearing the rubber stopper. When you go to insert the needle into the rubber, go in so that the needle is as close to horizontal to the floor as possible(or 45-60 degrees, or a right angle, or whatever helps you visualize this best). Make sure the bevel on the needle is face up (towards the ceiling). Enter the rubber until half of the bevel is covered by the rubber, and half is out of the rubber. You are still at a 45-60 degree angle/horizontal (or as close as possible to be able to enter the rubber). It is kindof like you are slicing into the rubber. Now that half of the bevel is in the rubber and half is out, raise the needle straight up so that you are now straight up and down. This allows the needle to slice, instead of tear into the rubber. You can now push down and enter the rubber.
    Last edited by ichabodcrane; 09-28-2003 at 01:54 PM.

ichabodcrane is offline Associate Member
    Please note addendum to above! I corrected the angles in case it didn't make sense to you. I re-read it and realized I had angles wrong. It is correct now. Here is a link with some pictures/descriptions......possibly helpful!
    http://pharmlabs.unc.edu/parenterals/text.htm

thanks ichabodcrane Im going to try it out tomorrow morning.

Thread Information