Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Can someone explain blood pressure?

I know blood pressure is a serious thing.... but can some explain to me what the two values (xx over yy) mean? If blood pressure is high, why exactly can it lead to health problems or death? Someone with an understanding of this please help me out. Thanks.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    High Blood Pressure: Know the Numbers

Think of a garden hose. When the water is turned on a little bit, it slowly drips out of the nozzle. Turn the water on full force and it shoots out. Step on the hose and the water pressure builds up. If there is a weak spot in the hose, this pressure can cause the hose to rupture.

Now think of your arteries as the garden hose, blood as the water, and your heart as the tap. With each beat, your heart pumps blood through your arteries to all parts of your body. Blood pressure is the force of the blood pushing against the walls of your arteries. High blood pressure, or hypertension, occurs when blood pushes against artery walls with higher-than-normal force.

Many people with high blood pressure don't have any symptoms until the disease has progressed quite far. Because high blood pressure can contribute to serious health problems such as heart attack, stroke, and kidney failure, it is important to know your blood pressure.

How Is Blood Pressure Determined?

Blood pressure is taken with an instrument called a sphygmomanometer. A cuff is placed around your arm and inflated, putting pressure on your arm's main artery and briefly stopping the flow of blood. The pressure in the cuff is then released, causing blood to begin flowing again. The person taking your blood pressure uses a stethoscope to listen to the sounds of the blood being pumped through your arm. As he or she listens, he or she is also looking at a gauge and correlating the sounds of your blood pumping to the numbers on the gauge to determine your blood pressure.

What the Numbers Mean

Your blood pressure, measured in millimeters of mercury (abbreviated as mm Hg), is given as two numbers, for example, 120 over 80. The first number is the systolic reading. This is the measure of the pressure of blood flow as the heart beats and corresponds to the pressure when the first sounds are heard. The second number is the diastolic reading. This is the measure of the pressure between heartbeats and corresponds to the pressure when the last sounds are heard.

How High Blood Pressure Can Damage Your Body

For many people, being diagnosed with high blood pressure comes as a complete surprise. There are often no symptoms, no pain. Yet it can be life-threatening. How can that be?

To really understand, you need to remember what high blood pressure is. Simply put, it means your heart is working extra hard to pump enough blood and oxygen to all your organs and tissues. If left untreated, it can cause serious damage over time to vital parts of your body. The diagram below illustrates which areas are at risk and why:

- Blood Vessels – High blood pressure causes them to become less elastic and more likely to narrow from a buildup of fat. Blocked blood vessels in the heart can lead to a heart attack; blocked blood vessels in the brain can lead to a stroke.

- Heart – The increased pressure can cause the heart to enlarge and can increase the risk of angina, heart attack or heart failure.

- Kidneys – Narrowing and hardening of blood vessels can interfere with kidney functions, possibly leading to kidney failure.

KeyMastur is offline VET

mass junkie is offline banned
    Good read key.....as of high blood pressure came as a concern to me recently.............but its weird yesterday it was a little high and today it is much lower (normal)......hopefully its something that can be changed fairly quickly

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Thank's Key. Everything I needed to know.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Wow, very cool. You explained it very nice. I think this belongs in the Educational forum...

halifaxsteve is offline Member
    great post Key

Testify is offline Senior Member
    Great info, Key. I was wondering about some of those things myself. I am currently in the high normal range, but Hypertension runs in my family. After my latest reading on Wed, I have been thinking about these things a little more. I know its time for me to rededicate myself to doing cardio a few times a week.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by buylongterm
    Wow, very cool. You explained it very nice. I think this belongs in the Educational forum...
    i'm not gonna lie, i didn't write any of it. i merely copied and pasted the needed / necessary info from the first website.

goldenear is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Testify
    Great info, Key. I was wondering about some of those things myself. I am currently in the high normal range, but Hypertension runs in my family. After my latest reading on Wed, I have been thinking about these things a little more. I know its time for me to rededicate myself to doing cardio a few times a week.
    might not hurt to try one of the many calcium channel blockers (Cardizem, Norvasc, etc.).

Thread Information