morpheus is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol Problem

Hi ,

I went for some blood work and the Doc said that my cholesterol went up and now is sitting on 9.0 (Total Ratio) my good cholesterol is under 1.0, The doc say's at this rate I will have a heart attack before my 30's.

Before my first cycle I did tests and my cholesterol was sitting at 7.0, I am not sure if its Genetic because my diet looks good and I do cardio twice a week.

The doc wants to put me on Statins but I have decided first to finish my current cycle change my current diet slightly and increase my cardio before I go on the Statins.

My question is if my cholesterol does not reduse and I start with the Statins which will definitively bring my cholesterol down is it ok then to do another cycle while on statins ???????

i will keep away from orals though!!

All Advice will be appriciated.

Thanks
    Michael

WiLLpOwEr is offline Member
    I would reccommend...THAT YOU GET OFF STERIODS !! Unless you have a death wish. Make sure your diet is top notch; lots of fiber, fruits, vegetables, stay away from saturated fat. Also bump cardio up to 3-4 times a week. After you do all this, get tested again. Make sure your levels are normal.

And I have no idea about the drug reactions of Statins with anabolic steriods. I would be very surprised if there was any adverse reaction at all.

WoodChuck is offline Banned

my input

i agree fully with willpower. it's not worth dying for.

stop juicing and start using statins to lower your cholesterol. monitor your levels frequently and if they get within normal limits again consider cycling but have the levels check frequently while "on" too.

there are no drug interactions between statins and AS that i'm aware of.

woody

toolman is offline Banned
    Check your protein shakes. Alot of the powders, like GNC, are high in cholesterol. I just found that out myself.

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    all i know is the cholesterol pills work good but are heavy on the liver. what were your values on the rest of your blood test??

Thanks guys.

Yes, I got 1 more week on Winnie tabs and then Im finished with my cycle. The doc say's I might as well finish the cycle then concentrate
    on lowering the cholesterol.

Tool man you make a good point there, I am currently using 2x high protein meal replacement a day I should check out the cholesterol content per sachet.

jarrett, here are the results of my blood tests.

Cholesterol 9.3 Recommended between 3.0-5.2 mmol/L
    HDL 0.69 Recommended between 0.9-1.6 mmol/L
    LDL 7.7 Recommended between 2.0-3.4 mmol/L

All other tests were ok except my Liver values were slightly high but Im sure its the orals that Im currently on .

Thanks for all the Advice

goldenear is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus
    I got 1 more week on Winnie tabs...
    There's the culprit bro (if your problem is exo related)! Stano will destroy your lipid profile.

Bumping your test levels into high normal will actually improve your lipid profile as will low doses of nandrolone , interestingly.

There is about 43.5mg of cholesterol per sachet .

Do you guys think this is above average ?

Thanks

abc 1 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus
    There is about 43.5mg of cholesterol per sachet .

Do you guys think this is above average ?

Thanks
    no, it's the winstrol .

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Has this been an ongoing problem on and off AAS or just since the start of your cycle. Are you taking any anti-e's? Does your diet include the use of flax seed oil? Short term cholesterol jumps are not unusual with AAS and anti-e's but are usually controllable with diets, especially those containing EFA's.

Temple is offline New Member
    Only 20% of your cholesterol comes from your diet the rest is produced by the liver. My levels went up by 0.5 on my last cycle. One month after ending the cycle I went on a 4 week Niacin cycle, which dropped my cholesterol by 0.7. I like to run Niacin on 4 to 8 week cycles for best effects.

I couldnt recommend Niacin enough and since using it I have dropped my overall cholesterol from 5.1 to 3.9.

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    I ended up at the Doc the last time I was on cycle. I would get real faint and shaky and shit. They did test and my blood pressure was fine, but my cholesterol was really low they said

cb25 is offline Banned
    One more bit of advice - dietary cholesterol is not usually the major culprit in high blood cholesterol. More often than not the problem is a high intake of saturated fats. That isn't to say don't watch your cholesterol intake...just watch the saturated fat intake as well.

ichabodcrane is offline Associate Member
    There is no doubt that statins are the big guns in cholesterol therapy. They are most effective in lowering LDL, apolipoprotein-B, TG's and total cholesterol plus the benefits of preventing primary and secondary ischemic heart disease. However they are also related with two major adverse drug events-1) elevated liver enzymes 2) skeletal muscle myopathies. Problems (drug-drug interactions) occur when you take other drugs that are metabolized by the same enzymes that the statins are, ie. CYP450 enzymes. Lovastatin, Atorvastatin, Simvastatin and Cerivastatin are all metabolized by the CYP3A4 enzyme (to differing degrees), Fluvastatin is metabolized by CYP2C9 and Pravastatin is metabolized by a non cytochrome P450 enzyme pathway. So any drug that inhibits any of the enzymes which metabolize the above statins could potentially lead to increased statin levels and subsequently the serious myopathies associated with their use. All statins have been associated with the risk of myopathies in high enough doses. (Good statin reference: http://www.princetoncme.com/public/2002-34/print92.html) Testosterone has been shown to inhibit the CYP3A4 enzyme. So a wise choice in chosing a statin would be to chose one that is not metabolized by the CYP3A4 if you are using AAS. While I have not seen any documented cases of AAS+statin adverse events, the potential still remains. Here are a couple of sites with more info on the CYP enzymes and drugs that are metabolized by the different CYP enzymes: http://www.uchsc.edu/sm/psych/ppfr/cyp_metabolism.htm
    http://www.anaesthetist.com/physiol/...yp/cyp.htm#all
    I agree that niacin, flax/fish oils are excellent for cholesterol. Niacin is even better than statins for increasing HDL's. For niacin, you need to work up to 2-3g/day max. Start off w/ 500mg/day and titrate. IMO the immediate release is easier on the liver than the sustained release. You can buy the flush free niacin which contains forms of inositol or you can take a small dose of aspirin (81mg) 30 min before Niacin dose if the flushing is a problem. Of course cardio is also a plus. There are many things that one can do to control cholesterol. When lifestyle modifications are not enough, that is when we turn to medical therapy. I am not saying statins are bad, but they do have the potential for severe side effects. So educate yourself wisely. If you chose to use a statin, consider one that is not metabolized by CYP3A4 if you are going to be using AAS (just a consideration). You will also see some statins combined with niacin. This can be beneficial, but also increases the risk of muscle myopathies.
    Last edited by ichabodcrane; 10-04-2003 at 12:21 AM.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Excellent post ich.

Firstly I just want to say thanks to all u guys especially ich for the great and informative posts.
    I will definitely take a closer look at all my options before going onto statins. I have 12 days left of my cycle but in the mean time I have cleaned up my diet and have increased my cardio to 3 times a week.

I will try out Niacin and see how it goes. Should I do a 4 or 8 week Cycle?

Rickson, I tested my cholesterol before my first cycle and it was 7.0 after my first cycle it stayed at 7.0. My second and current cycle I added some orals and it shot up to 9.3.

As u can see my cholesterol levels were already high it could be from my diet but I’m starting to suspect it’s genetic.

Once again thanks for the informative posts and I will let u guys know what my results are in December.

Michael

Thread Information