WiLLpOwEr is offline Member

Just got blood test back..what does this mean?

Hey guys, just got my blood work back..

I was in week 2 of 20mg Nolvadex PCT treatment when I decided to get my work done. Just to see how my levels are(including testosterone ) at this stage.

First, the good news: Out of the 30+ things checked, only two things were out of normal ranges(explained below), and my free testosterone was in the normal range. My free testosterone was at 11.7 pg/mL, and the normal ranges for a 20-29 year old male is 10.3-28.8 pg/mL. They are probably higher now, because it was only two weeks of PCT, but that's good news to me.

Now, the bad news: Listed below is the exact words in the specimen report..

Test ________Result _______Reference

BUN_________34_________ 9-21 MG/DL

CR__________ 1.1________ 0.8-1.5 MG/DL

BUN/CR Ratio__ 31_________ 12-20

MY "BUN" and my ratio of BUN to CR are obviously way too high. My question is, what do these values mean? What exactly is BUN and CR? And, if you can answer confidently, what do you think these values mean?

Thanks bros, I'm getting sort of worried..
    Last edited by WiLLpOwEr; 10-06-2003 at 08:31 AM.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiLLpOwEr
    Hey guys, just got my blood work back..

I was in week 2 of 20mg Nolvadex PCT treatment when I decided to get my work done. Just to see how my levels are(including testosterone ) at this stage.

First, the good news: Out of the 30+ things checked, only two things were out of normal ranges(explained below), and my free testosterone was in the normal range. My free testosterone was at 11.7 pg/mL, and the normal ranges for a 20-29 year old male is 10.3-28.8 pg/mL. They are probably higher now, because it was only two weeks of PCT, but that's good news to me.

Now, the bad news: Listed below is the exact words in the specimen report..

Test ________Result _______Reference

BUN_________34_________ 9-21 MG/DL

CR__________ 1.1________ 0.8-1.5 MG/DL

BUN/CR Ratio__ 31_________ 12-20

MY "BUN" and my ratio of BUN to CR are obviously way too high. My question is, what do these values mean? What exactly is BUN and CR? And, if you can answer confidently, what do you think these values mean?

Thanks bros, I'm getting sort of worried..

By my reports, F. Testosterone ranges are -19 years and older: 47.0-244.0 pg/mL

T. Testosterone should be 400-1080ng/dl for male 20-39

The BUN(Blood urea nitrogen) and CR(Creatinine) are basically readings on your kidneys. The 1.1 on the CR is fine.

Blood urea nitrogen measures the amount of urea nitrogen in the blood. Urea nitrogen is a waste product of protein metabolism, Urea is formed by the liver and carried by the blood to the kidneys for excretion. Because urea is cleared from the bloodstream by the kidneys, a test measuring how much urea nitrogen remains in the blood can be used as a test of renal function.

Creatinine is a protein produced by muscle and released into the blood. The creatinine level in the serum is therefore determined by the rate it is being removed, which is roughly a measure of kidney function

The reason why your BUN is so high, and your ratio to CR is unstable is because your not getting enough fluids to aid the kidney in flushing the waste out. Pick up your water intake x2

I try to keep my BUN in the mid teens(I've had it reach 24 before). When it was at that level, I picked up water intake by double and the level returned to 16 in three wks.

WiLLpOwEr is offline Member
    Ok Pheendo, thanks for the reply.

For the free testosterone , I'm just reading what it says on the lab report, so I don't why there is such a discrepency..

In any event, I do drink quite a lot unfortunately. I drink 1.5-2.5 gallons of water every day, and I was that day also. But, should the levels be so high? Isn't that ridiculously high?

For other information, I eat 300 grams of protein a day(for the kidney function) and I do take 5 grams of creatine a day(I was taking creatine during that test..not sure if that has an effect on creatinine levels..).

But again, thanks for the reply Pheedno.

To anyone else: is there anything else I can do, besides increase water intake, to decrease this level of blood urea nitrogen? Also, how high are those levels, relative to others who have had high levels? Are they extremely high, or just moderately high?

Thanks again, I'm less worried now.

Thread Information