alpineslide is offline Junior Member

High Blood Pressure Medication

Does high blood pressure medication have negative effects on the gains made through training. I'm asking this because I vaguely remember someone saying that either the ace inhibitor kind or the beta inhibitor kind had a negative effect on weight training ? I'm trying to figure out which one to ask my doctor for.

Da Bull is offline Banned
    looking foward to your question being answered

956Vette is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I cant answer your exact question, but how high is your bp? Make ABSOLUTELY sure that your bp is actually really high before taking any bp meds. First try to change your diet around (sodium intake, etc).
    I say this b/c i had a series of SHITTY doctors(that dont understand bb'ing...) and was prescribed a few bp meds. it all started when i had a chest x-ray and the IDIOT doc thought my heart was enlarged. the heart is a muscle too...and mine is perfectly healthy.... then, by doctors/nurses using a cuff that was too small, my bp readings were inconsistant and high.
    Anyways, long story short, some docs are too quick to give out dangerous scripts....they really Fu*ked me up(i think i should have sued back then...oh well). Get a second, or maybe third opinion. Only take bp meds on a worst case basis.
    best of luck to you, and be safe

I use a wrist collar and for some reason my bp is always high.I'm doubting the acuracy of these thing.I never had a bp problem.

I have an arm cuff machine made by Samsung with the large cuff. In the morning my BP is usually around 135/75. But anytime I check it during the day it is around 140-150 / 80-90. This is off cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by alpineslide
    I have an arm cuff machine made by Samsung with the large cuff. In the morning my BP is usually around 135/75. But anytime I check it during the day it is around 140-150 / 80-90. This is off cycle.
    Same exact problem here bro.

956Vette is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Doesnt sound like you need medication. Who has told you otherwise?

realityarts is offline Member
    Does high blood pressure medication have negative effects on the gains made through training. I'm asking this because I vaguely remember someone saying that either the ace inhibitor kind or the beta inhibitor kind had a negative effect on weight training ? I'm trying to figure out which one to ask my doctor for.
    That would depend on what type of HBP med it is. For example, a "water pill" (often prescribed for HBP) can drain muscles of water.

My blood pressure right now is borderline. I'm mostly worried about what will happen when I go on cycle.

realityarts is offline Member
    My blood pressure right now is borderline. I'm mostly worried about what will happen when I go on cycle.
    From what I understand it will most-likely go up. Make sure that you keep a very close watch on it (checking 3x a day, especially just after wakeup).

Jonno is offline New Member
    ACE I lower bp by decreasing water reabsorption and increasing sodium excretion. It may affect renal function becauase it works in the kidneys (especially if you are on a high protein diet). Beta-blockers lower bp by decreasing your heart rate, and decreased the rate of blood pumped around your body.

Do you mean a negative effect on training because it may impair your performance? A side effect of both can be to cause fatigue. If you think about it, decreasing your bp means less blood is pumped around your body and less oxygen is being delivered to muscles.

goldenear is offline Associate Member
    I'd say your diastolic is definitely high. And it could be much worse when you cycle, especially if you use highly androgenous drugs. Shoot for a calcium channel blocker like Norvasc or Cardizem if your doc recommends medication. Those drugs won't affect your training.

Jonno, decreasing your BP does not always mean less blood is being pumped and less oxygen is reaching your muscles. Quite the opposite actually. If you are experiencing systemic vasoconstriction due to epinephrine or norepinephrine activity, for example, use of a vasodilator will improve your cardiovascular efficiency.

Thread Information