Thread: AAS and thyroid

alpineslide is offline Junior Member

AAS and thyroid

How do AAS effect thyroid levels ? I just found out mine are out of whack....along with my hematocrit which I found out last Friday.

I'm not sure if my thyroid levels are low or high. I'll find out tomorrow.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Due to the erythropoietic effect of anabolic steroids , the hematocrit and hemoglobin levels may be elevated relative to the patients baseline level (Kiraly, 1988), although the hematocrit is rarely abnormally elevated (O'Connor et al.,1990). However when athletes combine anabolic steroids with erythropoietin [EPO], as some endurance athletes have done, abnormal elevations are even more likely. (Brower 2000)

Deyssig R., Weissel M. - Ingestion of androgenic -anabolic steroids induces mild thyroidal impairment in male bodybuilders. J Clin Endocrin Metab. 76(4): 1069-1071, 1992

Here are my thyroid test results :

T4, Free: 0.8 - 1.8 ng/dL Mine = 4.5
    TSH: 0.4 - 5.5 mIU/L Mine = 5.99

The nurse told me if my TSH numbers are high it means that I'm not producing enough and that if my Free T4 levels are high I'm producing to much.

Both my numbers are high. I've never used T3 or anything of the sort, but did recently complete a 300 mg /week Deca cycle.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

cb25 is offline Banned
    Warrior explained it perfectly. As far as the confusing results...have you mentioned to your doc about your AAS usage? I know it's not the easiest thing to admit to, especially because most healthcare providers don't know much about aas, except the common "that stuff will kill you" info...but it may help them determine what's wrong...

your thyroid levels are important hormones in metabolism, weight regulation, temperature regulation - better to admit to him and make sure there's no other serious underlying causes.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Double check with the nurse to see if she read your Thyroxine level right. It's usually tested in pg/dl(lab dependant) and the norm range is -21 years and older: 4.5-10.9 µg/dL

Do you have a hard copy?

The TSH is not that bad. It should reach a norm after full recovery from your cycle.
    It took me close to 4 months to recover from my first cycle so give it some time and get re-tested.

I told them I used prohormones....haven't admitted to the juice yet.

I've got another thyroid question, maybe I should start a new thread for this, but I'll try here first.

I ended my 300 mg / week Deca cycle about 10 weeks ago. I would think everything would be back to normal by now after such a mild cycle.

I've recently decided to go on a bulking diet...5000 + calories per day. I went from around 3000 calories to over 5000 calories overnight.

Could a sudden caloric shift like this throw my thyroid into overdrive ?
    Last edited by alpineslide; 10-22-2003 at 05:57 PM.

Thread Information