jersey juice is offline Member

Comparing The Old BB's to the New

I started this rant on another thread, but I felt it was worth having it's own & what you guys thought about it. Watching Pumpin Iron take a look at Arnold & Lou & Franco, those guys looked good, god-like. Compare Arnold at his best to Coleman at his best. Yes Ronnie is a massive FREAK, but I think it's too much. The distended gut, road maps of veins, you never saw that on the other guys. Yea they had great vascularity, but not the GH enhanced paper thin skin you see today. A side pose and you could see their waist was tiny, but massive upperbody, look at Coleman from the side, he looks like he's in his 3rd trimester ready to give birth. I don't know, but I wanted to hear what you guys think.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    True not the same.

Now they are so massive that the weight they have it sure will affect their waist.

sometimes ago I looked at some pics and videos of
    pro during off season and I was shocked
    Coleman and king whatever look like fat bitches.
    ( its was day and night ).

we should get a olds school board
    Last edited by 3Vandoo; 01-03-2002 at 12:15 AM.

Body builders of the hay day are just a memory now. The competition is far stricter and there is no sense of that close nit family that was shown in Pumping Iron. The sport has become less about respect, and more about who’s got the biggest contract, less about proportion and aesthetics and more about mass, less about genetic potential and more about drugs. Let’s face it though, everyone on this board is a little desensitize to bodybuilding now. Compared to the late 70’s, when the sport just started getting off the ground and physiques like that looked absolutely unattainable. Hell, now a day’s most of those old pro’s would have been lucky to place top 20 in a lesser show, never mind the Olympia. Who knows, 30 years from now, that generation may look back at today’s pros and think, “Huh, what was all the hype about? These guys look like they’re competing in a natural show!” I know one think though; the days of the vacuum stomach like Frank Zane displayed are gone and they ain’t ever gonna return!

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    How many of us were inspired at first and motivated to start lifting by Arnorld?

MANY

if we took a Ronnie Coleman or Dorian or
    Nasser and put them at the same place as Arnold
    will they motivates peoples to start bodybuilding?
    No, I don't think so.

Arnold and the rest of the 70's and 80's guys had a classical figures. Rest in peace "gold age"

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    arnold was definately the man. if he where 19yrs old right now and did what all of todays pro's are doing, he would dominate. i have huge respect for the guys of that era. but at the same time, i am in total awe at the guys of today. i am all for size. as big and nasty as you can be. its a matter of personal prefferance. some like asthetics, i on the other hand, want to see a bodybuilding show, not a beauty contest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Comparing The Old BB's to the New-bigron_pre.jpg  
    Last edited by bigkev; 01-03-2002 at 02:23 AM.

Mallet is offline Anabolic Member
    I think if arnold was around today starting out he would become a freak also!

He wanted to be as big as possible in the 70's , he just didn't have the gear and kits that are available to the pro's of today!

However is still think the bb of old were more aesthetically pleaseing, and they could still touch there toes and tie there shoes.

I think we should add a new class to the sport, so that Bodybuilders could still compete as Bodybuilders, and freaks could compete against freaks?

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    I think the older BB were better they did look healthier.....

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I agree with all the comments made and in my humble opinon I think the old BB looked far greater than todays.Saying that still have to admire thier dedication and discipline

jersey juice is offline Member
    Originally posted by bexsome
    I think the older BB were better they did look healthier.....
    Not only did they look healthier, I think they were. No glucose drips, insulin , dnp , synthol and god knows what else guys pump into themselves now. I gotta say though, I want Lee Priests arms!!

RUSSIANBEAR is offline Member
    The only BB's that acually look good today is Dexter Jackson and Kevin Lavrone they look hard, vascular and have great midsections. Guys like Markus Ruhl and Ronnie are "freaks" i think its too much and it does not look good at all. Some people will disagree but i think bodybuilders of the 70's looked awesome.

muscleup is offline Associate Member
    It's all about the judging criteria....Theae guys have to be as big as possible or the can't pay bills...I personally like both looks...Arnie is awesome and so is Ronnie.

Thread Information