Matty is offline Junior Member

Angry Prednisone for 2 weeks - what can I expect?

Hurt shoulders a few weeks back, went to Dr. last week and was prescribed moderate dose of Prednisone. Not sure of the exact dosage, but I'm taking them for 2 weeks.

I've read some horror stories of those who gained a bunch of water weight and also had muscle wasting. I'm curious to see if 2 weeks on Prednisone is going to screw me up and what I might be able to do to help prevent wasting/bloating.

Thanks,
    Matty

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Prednisone is a very bad idea. Ask him for some non steroidal alternatives.

I was put on an IV drip of 60mg for a few weeks and then spent a few months being weened off of it. Basically what you are doing is supplementing with a very catabolic hormone (it's a corticosteroid)... it causes muscle wasting, increased appetite and fat gain. I was in phenomenal shape prior to my hospitilization - and lost A LOT of gains.

When I got back into the gym (I was fiending really bad to get back to the weights), I felt like I was back at day one - I was very shaky in my joints and weak in my lifts. One reason I started researching AAS a few months later...

The only good thing was my joints felt awesome. No more shoulder and elbow pain that had been accumualting for awhile from improper techniques I had been using (like behind the neck mil presses). But the cons far outweighed the pros...

BTW - I was on it for an anaphylactic reaction to something - I have a severe allergin that nealy killed me... lungs collagsed and I swelled up like I went 2 rounds with Iron Mike...

2 weeks is not a severe as my experience - but nonetheless you are adding cortisol... when your goal as a BB is to block it as much as possible. IMO - talk to the doc about your athletic goals and ask for a nonsteroidal alternative...

Matty is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, Warrior. Sounds like you were on it for quite a while!

I checked my dosage - turns out I'm on for 10 days:

60mg for 4 days
    40mg for 6 days

Tomorrow will be my first day at 40mg. I'm hopeful with drinking plenty of water, sticking to my diet, avoiding excess sodium, and continued lifting, I should be able to fend off most of any potential negative side effects.

Thanks.Peace.Matty.

longhornDr is offline Member
    You'll be fine.

10 days of high dose androgens wouldnt turn you into a beast, the reverse is true with cortisol, 10 days of prednisone wont turn you into a junior high towel boy either.

Insulin blocks 100% of cortisol's muscle wasting effects...so just eat many small meals throughout the day to keep insulin levels elevated.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    great advice longhornDr!

-and btw, the horns got lucky this weekend

Thread Information