Ron C is offline New Member

Debate:cardio good or bad

I've noticed since i've been on this board that alot of guys around here swear by doing cardio, even while bulking. The confusion i have is that i have been taught that it is better to clean your diet to shed the extra bodyfat, rather than do cardio, which can be catabolic-especially affecting putting on size.Is this one of those "listen to what your body needs" kinda things or is there scientific research that proves that it want affect putting on muscle.Of course, i know that minimal amounts might not hurt you, but those amounts want really do much for you.What's the awnser?

Nathan is offline Retired Moderator
    Cardio = good. Just don't overdo it. Take in a small protein shake before you do it first thing in the morning to help prevent catabolism. It is good for your heart and that is a must IMO if you are using gear and if you expect to live a while. Just do cardio a couple times a week while bulking and then increase it while cutting.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    See I grew up thinkin the opposite.... Cardio Cardio Cardio.Through trial and error I've lernent that diet is more important. Cardio does help a lot and most people here say cardio is less catabolic on you muscles (I disagree). I think you need just the right combination of both. What the right combination is? Well I think you were right about that. You have to listen to your body.

Ron C is offline New Member

agree so far w/both

Hell, i remember when someone asked lee priest when he does cardio(probably when he's ballooning)-he said the only cardio he gets is when he walks around the corner to KFC to eat!

RON
    I remember when Ronnie was on the tonight show he was listing all the junk food he ate (offseason Im sure). Kev's mouth droped cause I guess he diets strict.

ultragainz is offline Junior Member
    can make you lose gainz

McBain is offline Member
    Cardio is always good in moderation (ie maybe 2-4 times per week for about 20-30 min low level). Although it does burn calories so many immediately think they will not gain if they do cardio, cardio also increases your protein synthesis and your transportation of minerals, vitamins, and blood throughout your body. So basically by doing cardio you will get oxygen to your muscles faster and protein to your muscles faster which means bigger gains. Can you make good gains without cardio? Yes. Can you make better gains with moderate cardio? Definitely.

Nathan is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by McBain
    Cardio is always good in moderation (ie maybe 2-4 times per week for about 20-30 min low level). Although it does burn calories so many immediately think they will not gain if they do cardio, cardio also increases your protein synthesis and your transportation of minerals, vitamins, and blood throughout your body. So basically by doing cardio you will get oxygen to your muscles faster and protein to your muscles faster which means bigger gains. Can you make good gains without cardio? Yes. Can you make better gains with moderate cardio? Definitely.
    Good answer.

heavyonly is offline Junior Member
    I do zero cardio, make me breathe too hard. I say diet is the trick along with training intensity, but I only say that cause I'm too lazy to do cardio.

I just never understood this part;

Gain=more carbs

Cardio=burn carbs

So why cardio if you're trying to bulk up. It's hard enough to get all the carbs and protien in anyway.

RUSSIANBEAR is offline Member
    I love cardio in the spring and summer only. I can never get myself on the cardio equipment in the winter to damn lazy. But it works great just dont over do it or youll be tired to lift the next day.

RON
    Originally posted by heavyonly
    I do zero cardio, make me breathe too hard. I say diet is the trick along with training intensity, but I only say that cause I'm too lazy to do cardio.

I just never understood this part;

Gain=more carbs

Cardio=burn carbs

So why cardio if you're trying to bulk up. It's hard enough to get all the carbs and protien in anyway.
    Bro, you sound like one of those hard gainers who stay fairly lean no matter what. With a slow matabolism like mine I gain weight very easy. While like I said I think diet is more important, some of us fat asses need cardio too to keep lean.

Thread Information