BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member

EXCELLENT READ: Thesis on Steroids

Here's a link to a thesis on steroids . It's a real thesis that appears to have been written from a balanced point of view, as opposed to an exagerated negative view.

The writer clearly states the following in the "Reason for writing" section:

"In many cases, bodybuilders know more about AS than the average general practitioner. It is therefore important to dig deep into the information at hand in order to have arguments against, or at least explanations for why doping has failed to be linked directly to certain dangers. Before starting on this thesis, both authors of this thesis have done research on the material personally for several years."

That last sentence hints at the probability that the authors of the paper have personally used steroids.

Get a cup of coffee, some protein shakes and a comfortable chair cause there's a lot of information presented in this thesis about how steroids work. Here's the link:

http://www.webnor.no/tt/contents.htm#ch3
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 11-22-2003 at 04:17 AM.

Ambulance is offline Member
    Nice

BDTR is offline Retired
    Bookmarked it for reading tomorrow when im awake. Great link.

BDTR is offline Retired
    This is what i was looking for!!!

"Another study tested one of the most powerful and reputedly dangerously toxic Anabolic Steroids for 30 weeks on HIV positive men and women Oxymetholone a C-17 alkylated oral steroid , was administered in a dosage of over 1,000 mg per week (more than that used by many athletes, and for a much longer duration of uninterrupted use). The results were significant gains in lean muscle mass even without any weightlifting. Even more importantly and surprisingly there were no significant problems with liver function, water retention, or virilization side effects (Hengge et al., British Journal of Nutrition, 75, p.129-138, 1996). "

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Bookmarked it for reading tomorrow when im awake. Great link.
    Even better I'll just reply So I can subscribe to this thread for tomorrow's read

"Another study tested one of the most powerful and reputedly dangerously toxic Anabolic Steroids for 30 weeks on HIV positive men and women Oxymetholone a C-17 alkylated oral steroid, was administered in a dosage of over 1,000 mg per week (more than that used by many athletes, and for a much longer duration of uninterrupted use). The results were significant gains in lean muscle mass even without any weightlifting. Even more importantly and surprisingly there were no significant problems with liver function, water retention, or virilization side effects (Hengge et al., British Journal of Nutrition, 75, p.129-138, 1996). "
    That's awesome bro. I'm glad it helped!

RON

"Another study tested one of the most powerful and reputedly dangerously toxic Anabolic Steroids for 30 weeks on HIV positive men and women Oxymetholone a C-17 alkylated oral steroid, was administered in a dosage of over 1,000 mg per week (more than that used by many athletes, and for a much longer duration of uninterrupted use). The results were significant gains in lean muscle mass even without any weightlifting. Even more importantly and surprisingly there were no significant problems with liver function, water retention, or virilization side effects (Hengge et al., British Journal of Nutrition, 75, p.129-138, 1996). "

Great give bdtr a reason to use higher doses. As if he needed another.

BDTR is offline Retired
    Hell... i was doin 'em when i thought id be dead by 30 cus of it.. Now wait and see muhhahahhahaa

Quote Originally Posted by RON
    Great give bdtr a reason to use higher doses. As if he needed another.
    I know, Ron. I know I'm gonna see that quote again the next time I mutter the words "low-dose."

BDTR is offline Retired
    Ohhh that quote is going to be used more than you can ever imagine. In fact, its going in my sig tomorrow when i wake up.

LOL, and just when I thought the low-dose wars were over.

I haven't read the whole thing yet. I wonder whether the thesis passed. Students have to defend their thesis in front of a board of professors. I wonder what the notes looked like from the professors.

RON
    OMG look at the slide show. and the effects of test on hypogonadal men.

Quote Originally Posted by RON
    OMG look at the slide show. and the effects of test on hypogonadal men.

LOL. There were some sore women around for a while after that study--"coital attempts."

Sore men too--look at the jump in MB.

RON
    Really good stuff I can't wait till morning so I can read the whole thing.

This deserves a thread of its own IMO:

"There is also an increase in the use of anabolic steroids among adolescents in Europe and the USA. This is an unfortunate trend. Unlike the hysterical and exaggerated claims of risk and damage often cited as a result of adult use of anabolic steroids , the dangers of the use of such substances in adolescents are very serious, real, fairly well documented, and can be permanent.

These dangers include, early closure of the growth plates in long bones, precocious puberty, hypogonadism, which may be more often permanent in adolescents than in young adults using similar hormonal products. It is a shame that the facts are not out there, these drugs can have irreversible side effects if taken by the wrong individual, or in massive doses. Nevertheless we feel that this informative approach is amore effective way of reaching the athletes than the approach by the Anti-doping committee in Norway. Their strategy was planned, and with the best intentions, but we find it unwise to use this approach. Lately, they have focused more on the ethical aspects of doping use, that doping is cheating. According to Rune Andersen, their main focus, has been on top-sporters and not the general public. We agree that the top-sporter has a great impact influencing the public, in particular athletes, and that their moral standpoint against doping could help prevent people from starting. But, the general public has also an effect on the top-sporters themselves. More importantly, the ethical approach will probably have little effect on that part of the population that does not compete in any sport. They will have no ethical dilemmas when considering doping use.

Especially teenagers and women are at risk for developing irreversible adverse effects. The gap created between the medical community and the AS users can worsen this problem. An environment experienced in AS use, might not know the dangers if taken by a teenager. Since AS users often know more about the effects and side effects than the common GP, the people prone to use AS might start without the proper medical support and monitoring that is needed for "safe" use. The general skepticism towards these compounds will perhaps also stop the individual user from asking a doctor or another health provider about the dangers."

roch is offline Member
    nice paper. can't read it all tonight tho...

"Hypnogonadal men are particularly sensitive to Anabolic Steroids ."

That might explain why some men are able to grow better on on low to moderate doses than others. Although, it might not be the only reason.
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 11-22-2003 at 05:38 AM.

brandon707 is offline Junior Member
    damn thats a good post, very imformative!!!

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    EXCELLENT ARTICLE found something wierd or maby not:

6.6 Other Adverse Effects of Anabolic Steroids

"Former Mr. Olympia Doorman Bates has suffered training-related injuries to the chest, leg and biceps, and retired after a major triceps injury."
    why did he refer Dorian Yates as Doorman Bates? Is there some kind of copyright or infringment? Just curious.

PurePower is offline Senior Member
    THAT IS PROBABLY THE BEST ARTICLE I HAVE EVER READ REGARDING AAS!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Bask8kase

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Right on!

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    this is great! Bookmarked it to my favourites now.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Awesome...thanks for the post bask8kace!!

I'm bookmarking it for later, no way i can read it all right now...

DocHoliday is offline Senior Member
    Like the rest. I'll read later.

Doc

ADRENALINErush02 is offline Junior Member
    Great read...lot of good information all should take a look

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    "Another problem plaguing steroid research has been lack of money. However, the growing interest in Anabolic Steroids for anti-aging and AIDS therapies may increase the interest for further research. Perhaps the most enlightening research would be retrospective studies examining the health condition, cancer prevalence and mortality statistics of professional bodybuilders from the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's?"

Damn right.

"Since the use of AS is already common and accepted in the medical environment nowadays as an aid against AIDS and wasting, it will probably be even more used in the future by these patients. Unfortunately, AIDS and HIV related problems will become an issue in the future, especially in South Africa where there is a hughe amount of HIV-positive patients. Growth hormone is also a therapy effective in combating HIV associated symptoms, but because of the costs, and the fact that most HIV patients are poor, AS is the more likely choice of administration. "

This is good for AIDS patients, but it'll result in a huge black market and a lobbying of new laws. Which isn't good for most of us.

"Some authors/journalists attempt to dramatize the dosages of AS used by the athletes by drawing reference to the dose usually administered for specific diseased individuals. This is a misleading reference to judge athletic dosages, since AS are often used in varying dosages for different purposes. For example, Hurley, Seals, Hagberg, Goldberg, Ostrove, Holloszy, Wiest, & Goldberg ( Journal of AMA, 252, p.507-513,1984) explain that Oxymetholone was used by one subject in an average dosage of 87.5 mg/day. They point out that this dosage is 5.8 times that usually administered for Androgen deficiency. The subjects dosage was approximately 1 mg/kg body weight per day. The actual recommend dosage for children and adults is 1-5 mg/kg body weight per day for a minimum of 3 to 6 months. Therefore, it is difficult to extrapolate the potential side effects of a certain steroid therapy on medical patients, or even a "normal" population for that matter, to the athletic population."

No comment.

"Some of these athletes might even believe that the more pills or injections he takes, the greater gains and strength he will achieve. The subjects that fit into the latter category is of course gambling with their health. Even water is dangerous if you drink to much. We have actually heard of a guy who died because he ate to many carrots over the years. We cannot say if this is true, but we think it illustrates a point; anything can be lethal if consumed in enormous portions over time, but it is not necessarily the rule of thumb. "

For some reason, this made me laugh out loud?

Overall, AWESOME read. I definately bump this. What makes this different is the bibliography and the direct relation to actual clinical studies.

Good damn post.

BUMP

motoxxxguy is offline Anabolic Member
    This is an awesome thesis. I hope the author had a lot of success with it. I will soon be taking a leave of absence from AR to read through it!

-moto

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Two thumbs up!

the dent depot is offline Senior Member
    I love stuff like this! Thanks for posting it bro!

D

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Two thumbs up!
    i agree

should be in the educational forum

Jhn36 is offline Associate Member
    Good link, just way to late to read tonight. Will have to read tomm with everyone else

shadow123 is offline Associate Member
    had a quick look at this ,, looks top stuff

Bump (for StangGT to find)

Quote Originally Posted by BASK8KACE
    Bump (for StangGT to find)
    Good idea. I forgot all about this. I've had that thesis saved on my PC for a long time. Good read BTW.

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    Will read tomorrow. Excellent from what I read.

DOUGTM1SS is offline Associate Member
    book marked it for later but just scanning it's a great read

Thread Information