Uconish is offline Member

Angry low weight gain cuz of legs?????

im in the 6th week of my cycle now. the first two weeks were great i think put on about 4 pounds, but now its week six and ive only put on 7 total. My question is do you guys think i havent gain the extra weight because i pulled my hamstring doing leg curls in week three and havent been able to do legs until today (just did them and feel so much better) So basically i only put on 7 lbs pretty much in my upper body and now that im doing legs again i should gain the extra weight right???????? And yes i eat like crazy, and my strength is going up everyday

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    Id say YES! I forget what the exact number is but legs should be a certaint % of your body weight. If someone could post the numbers id appreciate it! So obviously huge weight gains cannot be expected from just your upper body. Also whats your cycle look like 7 pounds isnt much to complain about depending on what cycle your doing.
    Last edited by RageControl; 11-27-2003 at 02:49 PM.

dbol 35mg ed weeks 1-5
    t400 800mg EW 1-10
    Eq 400mg EW 1-10

i look a lot more lean and my waist seems to becoming more muscular. I guess im alittle concerned but the weights in the gym keep getting lighter and lighter and im going heavier and heavier.

jdog55 is offline Associate Member
    What brand of gear are you using?

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    whats your diet look like, looks like that 7lbs you gained was water weight...

how many calories you take in...

you should eat your ass off...you know this man

VforVendetta is offline New Member
    What monster said..gear or no gear you gotta eat like a horse to put on any weight.

Quote Originally Posted by monster.
    whats your diet look like, looks like that 7lbs you gained was water weight...

how many calories you take in...

you should eat your ass off...you know this man

why would you say the the 7lbs is water.......i wrote that my waistline looks slimmer.....and i do eat like crazy.....im 216lbs and take in over 300grams of protein a day

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uconish
    im in the 6th week of my cycle now. the first two weeks were great i think put on about 4 pounds, but now its week six and ive only put on 7 total. My question is do you guys think i havent gain the extra weight because i pulled my hamstring doing leg curls in week three and havent been able to do legs until today (just did them and feel so much better) So basically i only put on 7 lbs pretty much in my upper body and now that im doing legs again i should gain the extra weight right???????? And yes i eat like crazy, and my strength is going up everyday
    Eating like crazy isnt always enough... most people wont get the big weight increases without some type of weight gainer shakes of at least 1000 calaries a day to suppliment your solid food, and dont replace whey protein shakes now taken with weight gainers...need both.

Also lack of gains in legs... sure, maybe about 60% of what we can gain are in the legs... take that out and you could have gained 15 lbs so far if the legs were keeping up with the upper body. Are you sure you trained adequately before steroids because hamstring pull is a classic injury that comes from being under trained naturally before going on steroids. As for upper body and if trained well in advance... well once you go on steroids, must UP the weights you lift. Dont be happy with what worked before steroids, you may extend workout session to 2 hours without fear of cortisol effects, up the weight you lift on every exercise, increase sets and reps as you are able. By 4th and 5th set you should be lifting to complete exhaustion or unable to lift one more rep. For me I try to make that happen between 10 and 15 reps so thats the weight I go with, others find more success with heavier weight, fewer reps... I find maximum growth for me works at 15 reps and striving for 5 to 6 sets.

if you take in over 300grams of protein, you should be gaining more then 7lbs bro...

and if you eat like crazy, with 800mgs of test, and 35mgs of dbol ...with just that you should of put on like 30lbs already, not 7lbs

good luck man

gundam675 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntpadude
    Eating like crazy isnt always enough... most people wont get the big weight increases without some type of weight gainer shakes of at least 1000 calaries a day to suppliment your solid food, and dont replace whey protein shakes now taken with weight gainers...need both.
    what the f u c k are you talking about bro. in every post u make i always wonder to myself where u get ur info from ? yesterday u said orals rott ur liver away like heavy doses of alcohol and a pack of smokes or something like that, now u say eating crazy isnt enough because u need weight gainers ???? yes eating crazy isnt enough, IF YOU DONT TRAIN RIGHT AND SLEEP RIGHT.

i know bros that dont even use protein shakes (except post-workout), and they gain 30 lbs on a cycle!

bro, stop giving out info like this.

D-END is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a torn up ankle and hamstring so I'm not training legs very much. I'm in my 3 week and I've gained about 15lbs. If you diet is good and you have legit gear...the only question left to ask is are you training hard? Alot of guys think that you can just do alot of gear and you'll get huge. Everything has to be in order, training and diet first then gear.

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gundam675
    what the f u c k are you talking about bro. in every post u make i always wonder to myself where u get ur info from ? yesterday u said orals rott ur liver away like heavy doses of alcohol and a pack of smokes or something like that, now u say eating crazy isnt enough because u need weight gainers ???? yes eating crazy isnt enough, IF YOU DONT TRAIN RIGHT AND SLEEP RIGHT.

i know bros that dont even use protein shakes (except post-workout), and they gain 30 lbs on a cycle!

bro, stop giving out info like this.
    i am one of those who dont use protein shakes even after a workout i eat a big steak or a tuna can and i gained 26lbs in my last cycle

strongweapon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteykauai
    id say legs and back, this is why if you want to get big you need to do the basic free weight power lifting excerises, i thought i hit a pateau this was after stopping doing deadlifts for about a month, then started doing heavy deadlifts after doing pull ups, the reps on the deads were always 6-8. if it worked for mee itll work for you, the only way you will gain weekly is if you train legs like a freak, lots of squats, i do 8 working sets of squats, and deadlifts are key to a thick back

well this is half right

powerlifting---good

overtraining---bad

8 sets of squats is overkill--when i was young and dumb i would do four sets--now i am older and wiser--1 or two work sets is enough

also--the power moves like deadlift and squat should come first in the workout--not after working back or anything else

well actually i dont belive in overtraining legs in one session, they are the largest muscles in your body, therefore it will take more sets, and angles to get good growth, as for deadlifts, and back i do what works best for me, and right now that is doing 4 working sets of deadlifts after 4 sets of pull ups, then whatever comes next. like heavy one arm rows, then some lat pull downs, but as far as pull ups before deads it helps get everything warmed up, considering pull ups are the best overall upper body exercise.
    i do not squat and deadlift the same day if thats what you thought, because that would be over kill, also it would kill your back. there is no way that your legs are up to par by only doing 2 sets, unless you are just maintaining muscle
    you cant be serious---overtrain on purpose---thats real smart

i am 5'7"---by the time i was 21 i weighed 200+ and sqatted 600 with 27.5 inch legs

and i have been over 215 drug free---i did not workout all last year--came back this year doing two work sets and only working out 2X a week--in just a couple of months i was back to 210 drug free---benching 365 for 6--squatting 405 for 10 and pulling it for the same--hell--i can do stifflegged dead lifts with315 for 13 reps---and i would NEVER, EVER GOTTEN THERE doing eight sets of this or 12 sets of that

yep!--reducing the number of work sets really slowed me down

go back to reading "Mens Health" and "Muscle and Fitness"--make Joe Weider rich----and never make anymore gains--but dont infect other people

if you have not tried it--do not knock it

well considering you are only 5'7, it is much easier for you to gain muscle, also since your range of motion is so much less because your arms and legs are short, therefore making it easier to get the weight up, i believe that you can do all of that, maybe doing 2 sets work for you, but not for me, i have experimented with the number of sets and reps, and thats what works best for me. do you think your body knows how to count reps and set....?? nope so there are no set reps and or sets in which you need to follow. you also probably have good genetics, anyways these are alll my own opinions so anyone can disregard everything i said, in the mean time ill just read my collection ofmens fitness and muscle and fitness, and learn some killer routines that 300lb pro's do.
    being short has nothing to do with anything or you would see midgets dominating world powerlifting

the larger your bone structure the larger the muscles to accompany it and the larger the areas of attachments, etc--everything is proportional

and when i started lifting i weighed 95 pounds--but i started out at a YMCA with powerlifters---3 years later i weighed 203----that was even with a 6 month layoff for boot camp and AIT--where i dropped from 185 to 159--and came out with more body fat than when i went in

yes muscles can count----1 SET WILL STIMULATE----12 SETS WILL OVERTRAIN---you can grow from one set

and if you want a routine that a 300# pro uses--i'll give you one

16iu gh ED
    16iu slin ED
    100mg A50 ED
    50mg Winnie ED
    200mg test suspension/synthol ED
    2g test ent week
    1g tren a week
    1g EQ a week

now mix with any routine and grow--write an article--write a book--someone will read it

and this is a minor cycle --just look at the grocery list Craig Titus was busted with

dont believe anything you read--people get paid to fill space in a magazine--so they do

12 sets will not over train it totally depends on the person, and about the pro routine just joking, but i guess you didnt get that. if you gained 108 lbs in three years naturally..............why would you ever even think about juicing, you should be the one writing books, also i dont read and muscle mags because everyone except for MD is bull****
    no--thats great--i enjoy the sarcasm--i have the same sense of humour

the secrets arent mine--they are out there--been out there forever

look around your gym--i bet most of the Power LIfters are 250+---now look at all the guys doing "body builder" routines--what do they weight--175----maybe 185--think about it

ever seen a little guy bench 500?

ever see a little guy squat 700?

each rep you due results in damage to the muscle being worked--if 1 set will prompt that repair work and growth--why would you hit it with 12 sets--each not only damaging in themselves but compounding the damage from each previous set

this leads up to the body devoting all of its resources just to break even--and growth never gets a chance to happen

and its not just with me--its with everyone

if 1 set causes X amount of damage the next set cause X amount + compounding damage from set #1-so the second set is X+(X)2-----now lets say the compunding damage is a constant with each set-causing an amount of damage equal to the number set it is--and we'll use 2 for X

X + [X+(X)2]=8----thats just 2 sets--now lets do 3

X + [X+(X)2] + [X+(X)3]=18

and so one--the amount of damage of 12 sets would actually be mind staggering

anyway--you get the picture--the Question is-----HOW MUCH DAMAGE IS TOO MUCH

the answer is--nobody knows

solution--stimulate the muscle---do not obliterate it

i dunno--i bench close to 450 and squat 600+
    i stay around 10% BF

i know most Powerlifters do carry some extre weight around the middle--but being well to overfead keeps them strong

and think about this

the power lifter weighs 250 @ 20% bf--and the BB weighs 180@ 10%

now lets diet them down to a contest ripped 2%--the Powerlifter now weighs 205 and the bodybuilder weighs 164

the powerlifter is still holding 41 pounds more mass--now lets say they both took their weight class--now their on stage for best of show--lets say they are both 5'10"----now lets see who takes the trophy

lets say they are now walking down the beach on spring break and encounter some hoochies--that extra 40# is gonna go a long way in the impression dept

right now i just started back on a 2X a week routine

this is it

WEEK 1

Monday
    2 sets Deadlift
    1 set Front squat
    1 set leg curl--optional
    2 sets wide grip weighted chins
    1 set straight bar curls
    1 set reverse grip curls
    1-2 sets wrist curls

Thursday
    2 sets reverse grip benchpress
    2 sets bench press
    1 set military press
    2 sets wide grip upright rows
    2 sets standing calf raises

WEEK 2

Monday
    2 sets squats
    1 set stiff legged deadlift
    1 set leg extensions---optional
    2 sets weighted narrow grip chins
    2 sets incline bench curls--rotating through the movement
    1 set shrugs
    1-2 sets wrist curls

Thursday
    2 sets weighted dips
    2 sets incline dumbell presses
    2 sets rear delt raises
    1-2 sets side raises
    2 sets donkey calf raises

i use a lot of weight on the power moves fist in the workout--have been doing deads with 450, squats with 405, been taking it easy on bench cuz i got a broken rib but still do weighted dips with 100# for 10 reps and reverse BP with 250 for 12--i'm kinda new at those

and i run sprints on Mon/Wed/Fri----if i am feeling really good--been pretty consistant lately--but the heavier you get--the more it takes outa ya

but any way you get the picture

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strongweapon
    i dunno--i bench close to 450 and squat 600+
    i stay around 10% BF

i know most Powerlifters do carry some extre weight around the middle--but being well to overfead keeps them strong

and think about this

the power lifter weighs 250 @ 20% bf--and the BB weighs 180@ 10%

now lets diet them down to a contest ripped 2%--the Powerlifter now weighs 205 and the bodybuilder weighs 164

the powerlifter is still holding 41 pounds more mass--now lets say they both took their weight class--now their on stage for best of show--lets say they are both 5'10"----now lets see who takes the trophy

lets say they are now walking down the beach on spring break and encounter some hoochies--that extra 40# is gonna go a long way in the impression dept
    Your post is somewhat irrelavent, because it's speculation. what if the powerlifter is more than 20% bf? what if the BB is already 2%? Speculation doesn't hold any water. Plus, i can lift heavy and stay at a low BF% while making gains. I've put on 22 lbs naturally in the past 3 months while only adding maybe 1% bf.

the guy asked who had a better looking body--of the 2 hypothetical people--so i gave a hypothetical answer

i know a lot of people who train as bodybuilders and hold more than 10% and i know powerlifters who hold less than 10%--but on the avg--PL's do tend to hold some extra fat--that analogy went into my hypothetical answer

22 pounds in 6 months is impressive--but i bet there is more to that story than meets the eye--a layoff, just beggenning to train, something---cuz if everyone could gain 22# in 3 months with no body fat we would all be 300 pound olympia contestants

steveid is offline New Member

Overtraining!

I agree with Strongweapon...there is no need for the amount of sets done by most people. I often see people at my gym doing around 10 sets of a particular exercise and then ask the question why they are not improving. One guy's bench press has gone down...when I tell him he should do fewer sets and cycle his workout better he gives me a look as if to say that's a dumb answer... whilst saying "Fewer sets!". His idea is to do more!!

My best gains have come using Mike Mentzer's philosophy with regards to training. Which I have followed for many many years now. Simply put if one or two sets taken to failure stimulate the muscle to grow why do more? Which is exactly what Strongweapon was explaining. Once you've stimulated the muscle to grow (1 or 2 sets taken to total failure) doing more sets won't stimualte more growth...probably the opposite! Also as Strongweapon has shown resting between workouts is also important. I train every 3rd day...half the body one workout the other half the next. I have founds gains and strength increases are effected if I train the day following a workout or if I'm still sore. I don't train until the soreness goes...I know many people train through the soreness...I think it's a big mistake!

Steveid--i like the way you think

you are right--actually single sets are prolly better--but i just cant seem to leave without doing the second set

mentzer has been building monsters for decades--his methods work

MIKE MENTZER--I love that dead guy

talk about hijacking someone elses thread...yall should cut this isht out

just imagine how big you would be if you tried it our way

or dont even listen to us

but get a book by mentzer and try just 1 of his routines for eight weeks

or get a copy of "powerlifting USA" and use any routine you can find in it for the same 2 months--and then come back and tell us if it made a difference

i am willing to bet your progress has absolutely plateued--to the point of stagnation--so you really dont have anything to loose

and i'll say again---you dont have to "kill" a muscle to get it to grow--if you kill it--well--you kill it

i promise you will be pleased

talk about hijacking someone elses thread...yall should cut this isht out
    the original question was on the virtues and necessity of leg training

2 of the 3 moves in powerlifting involve the legs---so the responses are still relavant

Quote Originally Posted by Uconish

oh yea, virtues of powerlifting says it right there, you must be imagining things now... it just seemed like you guys went out on a tangent about ur personal training regimens...didn't seem to help uconish out at all...

oh yea, virtues of powerlifting says it right there, you must be imagining things now... it just seemed like you guys went out on a tangent about ur personal training regimens...didn't seem to help uconish out at all...
    well he's only gaining like a pound a week on a cycle--i'd definitely say he needs to do something

oh yeah--like squat and deadlift

dont be a hater

Thats man.

And for strongman.........the reason for my post if you actually read it, instead of deciding to change everyone on AR workout routine was that i hurt my hamstring training legs.

Shortyrock13 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strongweapon
    cuz if everyone could gain 22# in 3 months with no body fat we would all be 300 pound olympia contestants

some people are just better than others genetically

if you take in over 300grams of protein, you should be gaining more then 7lbs bro...

and if you eat like crazy, with 800mgs of test, and 35mgs of dbol ...with just that you should of put on like 30lbs already, not 7lbs

good luck man
    He may be a "Hard Gainer" I have friend (which I HATE) that stays lean NO MATTER WHAT....BUT, he simply can't really grow unless he stays considerably over the 1.5 gram per pound mark.
    And you won't do that easily without Shakes (at least I sure can't)
    Have you checked a Calorie/Protein Chart?
    The reason I ask is just 2 nights ago, I was talking to a kid in the Gym with 10 million ?'s, asking me if the reason he was getting fat was because he wasn't able to efficiently metabolize all 10 eggs eat proudly eats everyday!
    Trying desparately not to laugh, I asked him just how many grams of protein he thought those big 'ole eggs had?
    Answer: 25 right? .....He meant each! (maybe 5 in a large white)
    My point is do you Know For Sure you're getting 300+ grams per day?
    Because like Monster said, you should be farther along....I just ended week 4 and I'm up about 21 lbs. Now some of it IS Water with the Enanthate and Drol's I'm runin'....but still.

Thread Information