heavyonly is offline Junior Member

Gear on insurance question

I have a script for slin and bac water. I could easily get my insurance co. to pick this up but, could't that cause problems down the road. I know these companies share information so what I'm worried about is life/health insurance companies seeing that I am getting diabetic meds.

Thoughts?

viperlingerfelt is offline Associate Member
    the problem may come from the fact you have an rx for insulin ....the insurance companies require access to your medical chart for coverage...if you got an rx and the md put it in your chart...well you see the problem....

insulin doesnt require an rx to be obtained.... a vial 10ml cost about 25 dollars in the pharmacy and you can get bacteriostatic water at any medical supply shop for pennies.......

forget the rx and just walk in the pharmacy and ask for humulin-r and a pack of 29 guage syringes...give them 25 bucks or so and leave...easy bro......viper

heavyonly is offline Junior Member
    Yea Vipe; I was looking at Humilin R as a back up plan. I'm going to use Humalog. I went today and picked it up. Still hunting the bac water, that's script only too.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Not necessarily . . .

Originally posted by viperlingerfelt
    the problem may come from the fact you have an rx for insulin ....the insurance companies require access to your medical chart for coverage...if you got an rx and the md put it in your chart...well you see the problem....

insulin doesnt require an rx to be obtained.... a vial 10ml cost about 25 dollars in the pharmacy and you can get bacteriostatic water at any medical supply shop for pennies.......

forget the rx and just walk in the pharmacy and ask for humulin-r and a pack of 29 guage syringes...give them 25 bucks or so and leave...easy bro......viper
    Not necessarily, on two counts . . . Laws regarding injectables change from state to state, so that even if one state does not require a script for slin, another might. Where I live, for example, a prescription is required for all injectable drugs (including insuling), as well as for all syringes and needles.

As far as the medical chart, I wouldn't worry too much. Insurance companies generally do not coordinate prescription coverage with an examination of one's medical chart. A script for, say, Clomid (which is usually used to foster ovulation) written for a male patient, might raise a red flag, but a script for insulin would not make an insurer bat an eyelash. If the chart were ever examined and a very sharp insurance rep did not see the ICD-9 (diagnostic) code for insulin-dependent diabetes (which is 250.1 if under cotrol, or 250.3 if uncontrolled), that might raise a question, but such a comparison is unlikely to occur.

If anything, a more likely scenario would be if you were to be involved in an accident (or had a personal injury) and were to sue (or be sued by) the other party. In that case, your medical record would likely be subpoeneaed under discovery rules, and a hip opposing attorney would make an issue of whether you were using insulin at the time of the accident. Again, unlikely, but life is a crapshoot and you never know what will happen.

My real advice is not to fuck with insulin, which can have adverse effects that zonk your judgment or motor skills (yes, I'm talking hypoglycemia). That said, however, if you are determined to use slin, I would simply buy it at cash price and not put it through your prescription plan.

Thread Information