time off while on?

Anyone ever take a break on training while on a 12-15 week cycle? I feel like i may be overtraining and that the gear induced growth is taking a lot out of me. I was curious to know whether or not i am alone on this or if others are feeling the same? I usually train hard 4-6 days a week, been doing splits of chest tri, back bi, legs, shoulders, throw in some cardio 2 or 3 times a week for 30min a shot....

current cycle
    week 8 of 12
    wk 1-5 50 dbol
    wk 1-10 400 deca
    wk 1-12 500 test e

6'2 230
    39 years young!

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    I"ve only done one cycle, which came to about 14 weeks, and I'd DEFINITELY take a week off. I wish I had when I did mine -by the end of the cycle I was completely fried on going to the gym and took a week off then, but everyone said thats the WORST time to take off, since you need to keep at it for a month or so to make sure you don't loose your gains. I lost like 5 lbs in that week and if I'd done it midcycle I'm sure I wouldn't have.

Other things to avoid overtraining are the usual stuff -try a different gym, rotate your routine so it's different each week, change workout order, etc.

6'5" 240 and 51!!

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Sounds like you may need diet work. You made any gains?

animal-inside is offline Senior Member
    i'd cut the cardio for a week and check ur diet. ur probably not eatign enuff..... and i'd try to get a few more hours of sleep..

the thing is i am eating clean but want the cardio to melt the fat on the middle,, i am gaining 12 lbs so far, i am pretty sure it is muscle but don't want to gain anymore fat....
    sleep could be it cause i am working on usually 6 hours.?

daWhoady is offline Associate Member
    I usually take a week off before I start on a rigorous routine, especially on a cycle. Gets my body rested. I know you want to cut the fat in the middle, but I think you'd benifit by eatting more, take in more carbs, cut the cardio, and then worry about the fat after cycle. You'll have the energy to lift heavy and hard while on cycle and make better gains.

daWhoady is offline Associate Member
    and a power nap usually helps me out greatly if I'm not getting enough sleep at night.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsomebody
    I"ve only done one cycle, which came to about 14 weeks, and I'd DEFINITELY take a week off. I wish I had when I did mine -by the end of the cycle I was completely fried on going to the gym and took a week off then, but everyone said thats the WORST time to take off, since you need to keep at it for a month or so to make sure you don't loose your gains. I lost like 5 lbs in that week and if I'd done it midcycle I'm sure I wouldn't have.

Other things to avoid overtraining are the usual stuff -try a different gym, rotate your routine so it's different each week, change workout order, etc.

6'5" 240 and 51!!
    I think you should get more Sleep, and make sure you getting your Grams in, other than that I'd try and stay Mentaly tough. I don't like to take more than 3-4 days off - MAX. It's good for deep tissue recovery, but man it's hard on me mentally...makes me lazy to stop that long.

WOW!, I just noticed....you're 51 stud? You go man! And Kudo's to you for coppin' to it!

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSevnthWarrior
    WOW!, I just noticed....you're 51 stud? You go man! And Kudo's to you for coppin' to it!
    Thanks -actually I LIKE being 51!! I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I don't know if this is the problem here but for me I can get mentally fried with working out even if I'm not physically tired, and I HAVE to take a break once in a while. If I don't I know my brain will decide it's drudgery and I may never go back. I've got to go to the gym because I WANT to, not because I have to. If I'd done that during my cycle I think looking back it would have helped a lot.

I think there's a psychological aspect to overtraining that people too often ignore. If your diet's spot on and you're getting plenty of rest but you're still burned out, I'd bet that's the culprit, and a week off can make a huge difference. At least it does for me.
    Last edited by johnsomebody; 12-05-2003 at 12:23 PM.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Yeah bro...I hear ya. But overtraining while "on" is almost an oxymorone....know what I mean. I always try to get everything I can while on the juice cause I know it's coming to end soon...I'll recooperate then.

Regarding losing bf and cardio while on cycle...you are doing what's traditionally considered by most a "bulk" cycle. I have done the exact cycle and lost bf, but you are really trying to gain muscle, well usually. Cardio can be eating calories, carbs, energy that you need for muscle growth, etc. This could be where feeling tired or burned out is coming from as well. I'm not saying to drop your cardio all together, but maybe 1 or 2 days max per week...or at least shorten the duration. Especially since it sounds like your diet is in good order. Sleep is VERY important during cycle. Eat/Sleep/Lift all 3 equally important.

Sounds like you are having good gains thus far...keep it up. You have gone through too much to slow it down now bro!!!

peace,

ttgb
    Last edited by tryingtogetbig; 12-05-2003 at 12:35 PM.

Thread Information