moush is offline Senior Member

Post Protein...can you eat too much?

How much protein is too much?? If there is such a thing as too much?

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    should be in diet forum

Quote Originally Posted by moush
    just eat 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight daily and you'll be cool

physio_sport is offline Banned
    theres never too much protien, but i would stick to your body weight target of between 1 to 2 grams of protien per pound of body weight.

so if your 200lb then take between 200 to 400 grams of protien also eat the right amount of complex carbs with it.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    This is really a trick question..Yes, there is in fact possibilities of intaking too much protein..However, most people do not take in enough, especially when strength training..An overload of protein is hard on the digestive system and really taxes the kidney's..Whatever your body does not assimilate is simply passed out of the body via urine..What has been recommended above is a very good rule of thumb..1-2 grams per pound of bodyweight is very beneficial..It should also be consumed in several small meals throughout the day as well for maximum absorption..

Doc M

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    I take in 1.5-2grms of lean protein per lb of Lean body Mass..I have it about 5 times per day. Depends on the day and activity. Like Doc M pointed out..to much protein is hard on the Kidneys.

mcnst01 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moush
    You can consume too much protein. You need to check your kindney levels to be aware if your getting too much. 1.5 - 2.0 grams / lbs is a good estimate. You have to see what works for you. experiment with it to find your level.
    -S

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    Last year one of my bros went to the hospital for a kidney stone and he told me that he got it from too much protein.

gino_slayer is offline Associate Member
    arent kidney stones because of mineral deposits or something? When i eat too much protein i get bad dhiarreah which isnt all that fun. 1.5 - 2g (as everyone else said) is a good guideline, if your bodybuilding that is.

SaTyR is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gino_slayer
    arent kidney stones because of mineral deposits or something? When i eat too much protein i get bad dhiarreah which isnt all that fun. 1.5 - 2g (as everyone else said) is a good guideline, if your bodybuilding that is.
    I dont think you get the diareah from the protein , prolly the miljoen eggs , and gallons of milk you eat/drink

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    I also get diareah from to many shakes..........I think it just means t hat you've had more protein than you can digest.

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gino_slayer
    Hmmm Whey and cheese tend to be constipators for most people but creatine has been known to cause diareah. Most people get kidney stones from drinking too much well water....too much calcium in milk also.

On the protein thing... I have read articles from dieticians that if you were not on a weight training program, then 0.20 grams of protein per pound of body weight is all that is needed. Also many dieticians seem to suggest 0.79 grams of protein per pound of body weight as the maximum amount of protein the body can actually absorb and use, so the excess is just pooped out unused. There have also been some double blind studies where some took the 0.79 grams per pound, some guys 1 gram, 1.5 gram and 2 grams per pound body weight respectively and the lower protein group got somewhat more carbs and calaries then the higher protein group... there were very little or no differences in muscle growth, weight gain, etc.

Pinch is offline Associate Member
    eat too much protein and the excess will be stored as fat (just like what occurs with fats and carbs)

the idea is to find the correct amount of protein your body needs and eat no more, no less

Quote Originally Posted by bor
    I also get diareah from to many shakes..........I think it just means t hat you've had more protein than you can digest.
    No, this should subside after about a week.
    Too much Protein shouldn't result in getting the runs.
    This is very common when guys first start the intake of shakes, but then subsides after your body adjusts, also, some cheap shakes are worse than others. A good protein source should result in Highly Efficient Absorbtion, resulting in less waste discharge, and "firm" stool as well.
    Over consumption of Protein, (or anything for that matter) will result in the inabilty to metabolize, and anything that cannot be metabolized by your system will be converted and stored as fat. However, I am less concerned with too much Protein as I am too much carbs, since studies show that unmetabolized Carbs (especially cheap carbs ie sugars/corn syrup/high fructose etc) are 3-5 times faster in relation to the conversion to fat, and approx. the same ratio pertains to you body's inability to burn them off. Natural animal fats for one are much easier to burn off than fat that come from sugar (carb)/ unused protein conversion.
    (getting a little off track here)
    But yes, you CAN get too much protein, tha largest short term problem being unmetabolization, hence conversion to fat= unwanted fat gain.

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntpadude
    On the protein thing... I have read articles from dieticians that if you were not on a weight training program, then 0.20 grams of protein per pound of body weight is all that is needed. Also many dieticians seem to suggest 0.79 grams of protein per pound of body weight as the maximum amount of protein the body can actually absorb and use, so the excess is just pooped out unused. .

Your body may only be able to use this percent of your body weight in protein, but you do not absorb all the protein that you eat. So you will have to eat alot more than that for your body to absorb its max amount.

Quote Originally Posted by nevaenuf
    Your body may only be able to use this percent of your body weight in protein, but you do not absorb all the protein that you eat. So you will have to eat alot more than that for your body to absorb its max amount.
    True.
    That's why I don't Freak when I get 150g from Shakes, and 350 from food.

Thread Information