Thread: Cowboy UP

66mustang200 is offline New Member

Cowboy UP

Hi all. I first want to say that the message board has been EXTREMELY helpfull, and has stopped me from making really dumb mistakes, thanks!
    SO - -
    I am about to really get serious working out, i have been working out about 2-5 hours a week for a year, but with work and school it gets hectic.
    Anyway, my question is this: what supplements do you suggest? dosage/brand would be awesome. ALso, pointers on a diet? I've been reading, but there is just soooo much info out there.
    I am 17 years old, 150 pounds, 5'11"
    I will be spending at least 2-3 hours a day at the gym for the next few months. Also, i have decided to rule out steroids , good/not good??
    thanks again guys!

asymmetrical1 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 66mustang200
    Hi all. I first want to say that the message board has been EXTREMELY helpfull, and has stopped me from making really dumb mistakes, thanks!
    SO - -
    I am about to really get serious working out, i have been working out about 2-5 hours a week for a year, but with work and school it gets hectic.
    Anyway, my question is this: what supplements do you suggest? dosage/brand would be awesome. ALso, pointers on a diet? I've been reading, but there is just soooo much info out there.
    I am 17 years old, 150 pounds, 5'11"
    I will be spending at least 2-3 hours a day at the gym for the next few months. Also, i have decided to rule out steroids , good/not good??
    thanks again guys!
    very good bro

CBR9Seadoo is offline New Member
    Good choice on not choosing gear to get the size you want. Give yourself 5 yrs and Eat/Train/Sleep. Clean up your diet, take in protein, and complex carb during your 6 meals of the day running 3000 to 4000 cals. That should get you started. Good Luck.

supplements? Dosage reccomendations? brands? diet info?
    thanks guys!

TxLonghorn is offline Junior Member
    There'll be plenty of time for gear later. I would focus on protein first, total cals second. Get 200 grams of protein/day. I'd recommend a protein powder and a multi-vit for now. Forget about the weight gainers and all that ****. It's just protein powder with sugar for the most part. I get vanilla flavored, that way I can mix in things like oj, bananas, frozen berries, etc., to change up the flavor. If you get chocolate, ain't too much you can do with that if you start to get sick of it.

Take about 50 grams/per shake, mix it with water or juice and do that twice/day and on training days, make sure one of those is right after training. That right there is half your protein and it's cheap compared to 'real food'.

I'd use the hardgainer or h-s-t training if I were you. Get in, bust your ass, get out, or 'brief, 'breviated, best. You grow at the feeding table, not the gym.

That right there are the basics. You can start adding more stuff later, but right now, this map should take you far.

TxLonghorn is offline Junior Member
    I will be spending at least 2-3 hours a day at the gym for the next few months.
    Not good at all. You weigh 150lbs and you are 5'11"...get in and get out. 45 minutes should be plenty.

pumped99 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxLonghorn
    Not good at all. You weigh 150lbs and you are 5'11"...get in and get out. 45 minutes should be plenty.
    I was in your boat a while back. What I would do in terms of lifting for you, would be to lift 3 days a week for about an hour each time if you want to bulk, and split it up into a day for chest/back, day off, legs, day off, arms/shoulders, 2 days off, repeat. If you work hard this will get you size. If you lift too often/long you release a chemical that inhibits muscle growth.
    As for supplements, try creatine, celltech and synthevol are good, but a bit pricey. Pick yourself up some protein powder for sure, www.allthewhey.com is a good place for quality protein. Try to eat 1 1/2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Try some oats and brown rice are good for your carbs.
    Just work hard in the gym and eat a lot, as in 4000-4500 cals a day to start then adjust accordingly.

creatine? Animal stacker? Amino Acids? nothing else?

creatine? Animal stacker? Amino Acids? nothing else?
    Animal Stack works with cutting. Creatine is good for bulking. Amino Acids are always good, you get a lot of those with your creatine if you get celltech or synthevol for example. If you want extra amino acids go with an r-ala compund. Can find good supplements at www.allsportsnutrition.com
    Also, try to eat 6 - 7 times a day, every 2 hours or so. And especially get some whey in you right after you finish lifting.
    Just remember, hard work, lots of protein, good calories, and sleep will make you gain.
    Last edited by pumped99; 12-16-2003 at 06:45 PM.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, good job on ruleing out the sauce, but just because u spend 2 to 3 hours a day in the gym doesnt mean ****... I can do twice the amount of work in hour than u do in 3... Quality work in the gym... REmember that..

my average workout, per muscle group, is 6-8 sets of 8-10 reps.
    is this not enough, too much??

my average workout, per muscle group, is 6-8 sets of 8-10 reps.
    is this not enough, too much??
    That is too many sets imho if you want to bulk. Try 3-4 heavy sets, reps are pretty good. Maybe 6-8 as you progress.

Taejoon is offline Associate Member
    Bro, I was smaller than you at that age, and between the ages of 17 and 21 I went from 5' 11'' 135 lbs to 6' 1'' 170 lbs. When I was your age and first trying to gain weight, all I wanted to know was what new cutting edge supplement I could take to make me bigger, I tried everything and nothing worked. Until I finally hooked with a knowledgeable bodybuilder, and he pretty much told me exactly what I didn't want to hear, and that was simply "bust your ass in the gym, get in get out" and "eat like horse". THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE, I REPEAT, NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PROPER DIET AND PROPER LIFTING TECHNIQUE. IF YOU WANT TO GET BIG, YOU MUST EAT BIG AND TRAIN INTELLIGENTLY! No matter what suppliment's you take, you will not gain an ounce of body weight unless you eat, eat, and eat some more, and DO NOT OVERTRAIN! Listen to what these guys have to say, train each muscle group, once a week, for no longer than 1 hour. That's right, one hour, no longer. Worry about your supps later, there is no magic pill that will make you gain lean muscle mass, there is no substitute for hard work and dedication. Take it from me, my bf has never been over 9% in my life, and I have to work my a** off for every pound of weight I've ever gained, you'll probably have to do the same. Good luck...

Drop that shake and eat a steak!

Peace

-Taejoon
    Last edited by Taejoon; 12-16-2003 at 07:07 PM.

GearAholic is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    don't forget to give ur self attiquite rest bro, sleep sleep sleep i love sleep! its a time where ur body can repair and grow at least 6-8 hours

Taejoon is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GearAholic
    don't forget to give ur self attiquite rest bro, sleep sleep sleep i love sleep! its a time where ur body can repair and grow at least 6-8 hours
    Seems that slipped my post, but most definately, rest is equally as important as diet and training.

Peace

-Taejoon

GearAholic is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i gotcha back taejoon

Ambulance is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxLonghorn
    There'll be plenty of time for gear later. I would focus on protein first, total cals second. Get 200 grams of protein/day. I'd recommend a protein powder and a multi-vit for now. Forget about the weight gainers and all that ****. It's just protein powder with sugar for the most part. I get vanilla flavored, that way I can mix in things like oj, bananas, frozen berries, etc., to change up the flavor. If you get chocolate, ain't too much you can do with that if you start to get sick of it.
    great advice! Vanilla is the way to go if your only buying one flavor.

Thread Information