Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

U.S. to Ban Dietary Supplement Ephedra

U.S. to Ban Dietary Supplement Ephedra

By JOHN SOLOMON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration has decided to ban the herbal weight-loss supplement ephedra from the marketplace because of concerns about its effects on health, government officials said Tuesday.

Health and Human Services (news - web sites) Secretary Tommy Thompson and Food and Drug Administration (news - web sites) chief Mark McClellan were to announce the ban at a midday news conference, the officials said, speaking only on condition of anonymity.

Critics called the federal crackdown too late. Sales nationwide already have plummeted because of publicity about roughly 155 deaths blamed on the amphetamine-like stimulant, including Baltimore Orioles baseball player Steve Bechler earlier this year. Ephedra is linked to heart attacks and strokes, even when used by outwardly healthy people at recommended doses, because it speeds heart rate and constricts blood vessels.

Three states — New York, Illinois and California — have passed their own ephedra bans; use has been banned in professional football, college athletics and minor-league baseball, and several retail chains, including supplement giant General Nutrition Centers, recently quit selling it, too.

"It's a dead product and unfortunately it has become a dead product over the backs of a lot of dead people when the FDA could have acted before," said Dr. Sidney Wolfe of the consumer advocacy group Public Citizen, which petitioned the government for a ban in 2001.

Wolfe urged remaining manufacturers to recall all ephedra-containing products still on store shelves. For any future ephedra-linked injuries, "there's going to be hell to pay in terms of increased liability on the part of the companies that are allowing it to be sold," he said.

The supplement industry's Council for Responsible Nutrition said it didn't oppose a ban, noting that very few companies still make the stimulant — its members who once did no longer do so.

"We think the reputable players have found so much controversy and difficulty in this marketplace that they've decided to get out of it," said CRN's John Hathcock. "We recognize the controversy is a cloud over our whole industry."

Remaining ephedra manufacturers didn't immediately comment Tuesday, but have insisted that studies prove their products safe when used properly.

"Anyone who has read our label knows that we go to great lengths to inform our customers about the proper use of our products," Metabolife International chief executive Russell Schreck said over the summer. "We make it quite clear on our label that the ephedra products are not to be sold or used by minors and that customers with certain pre-existing medical conditions should 'consult a physician before product use'."

But several scientists said that it was impossible to prove whether ephedra was safe because studies screen out participants who have health problems — the people most likely to be hurt by the product.

The General Accounting Office (news - web sites), Congress' investigative arm, looked into the issue and found many people who reported problems had followed the label's instructions.

The government ban, one of the first involving a dietary supplement, comes after Thompson this summer urged Congress to rewrite a law that rolled back dietary-supplement regulations and to require manufacturers to acknowledge potential side effects.

Because ephedra is an herb, U.S. law let it sell over-the-counter with little oversight unless the FDA could prove a clear danger to public health. Manufacturers blocked a 1997 FDA attempt to restrict sales of certain dosages and to put warning labels on the herb by arguing the agency lacked enough proof of danger.

In March, FDA again proposed those warnings and said it would re-examine a ban.

JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU THAT THESE PESKY LITTLE ADVOCATES CAN ACCOMPLISH A LOT IF THEY STICK TO IT - NO SCIENCE EVIDENCE NEEDED - AND NOTICE EVERY COLD MEDICINE IS STILL MADE WITH EPHEDRA MAKES ME WONDER WHY NO ONE HAS BOTHERED TO REALLY GET WITH LEGALIZING OR DECRIMINALIZING (TICKETS, ETC) STEROIDS .

fullback40 is offline Junior Member
    Does this also mean that ephedrine w/ Gaufusin(sp?) will be banned also? or is this just limited to the herbal form. I buy those right down the road from my house - looks like I may need to stock up.

decadbal is offline Banned
    what a ton of bull****. soon we wont even be able to work out bc it makes us different that ppl, this country is becoming communist, no free choice, just what you can pick out of the remaining non-banned ****....what a load. id move to canada if they werent such pussies...LOL JK (about moving, not canada being pussies.)

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member

its a hard place to be in

As far as the US gov. banning ephedra (note how horrible some people talk of this drug...i wonder what they think of steroids ) it is kinda hard for me to know what they should have done. I understand that they government has responsibility to ensure safety to the citezens, however, there must be a limit to that power for it to be true democracy. There is a fine line when banning drugs that the only danger is to the individual. Im not debating one way or the other on the effects of ephedra, im just saying that if it is bad it is only bad to the individual taking it and shouldnt that be a personal choice....well the government says no. It is a very fine line

simplyjakked is offline Member
    the government is great at taking more and more rights away!(freedom of choice) couple outta shape pros die and they wanna blame the drug not the fool using it! in due time they will make it a prescription drug so the government can get the money more directly!

ColdSore is offline Banned
    i know they have to protect the citizens, but their are plenty of people who use ephedra correctly and dont abuse it until it kills them...

Not to mention that most people who are hurt from it are fatty's that think its a miricle pill and they can pop 5 at a time while eating chips and watching jeryy springer....**** fatty's

GeoQuadzilla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdStone
    i know they have to protect the citizens, but their are plenty of people who use ephedra correctly and dont abuse it until it kills them...

Not to mention that most people who are hurt from it are fatty's that think its a miricle pill and they can pop 5 at a time while eating chips and watching jeryy springer....**** fatty's
    It's funny because it's true

Swellin Guest
    MAKES ME WONDER WHY NO ONE HAS BOTHERED TO REALLY GET WITH LEGALIZING OR DECRIMINALIZING (TICKETS, ETC) STEROIDS .
    It is soooooo easy to get a bunch of do-gooders to petition to ban something...anything, and eventually get it to happen. It is **** near impossible to get a ban reversed, or to change the view on something that is currently illegal.... to be legal.

What a screwed up situation.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdStone

Conveniently though, the fact of abuse of the product just always somehow gets left out when these articles are written

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    all of the scientific evidence i've seen on this product has been POSITIVE.

that if used correctly, its not a detriment or harm to anyone......fat or in some physical shape.

this is extremely typical of our government. stop the use whether theres concrete proof or not. enough people have bitched, therefore in order to quiet things down, the FDA finally acted..........

peace I4L

simplyjakked is offline Member
    with this ban it just means more fat lazy bastards grazing the buffet lines!

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    Man this bites !! There banning everything with ephedra in it.. Were is my freedom ??

asiancuts is offline Associate Member
    i live in illinois where it is banned. i personally don't use ephedra products but i remember a bunch of friends who did went and bought a ton while the decision was still in litigation, before the law passed. i just don't get it, why outlaw a substance because a few people misused it? and while theyre banning ephedra, millions die every year from cigarettes, but theyre not going to make that illegal any time soon.

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    This ban is total bull****.. I really hope this doesn't happen, but I see a domino effect happing in the supplement world. And I have a feeling andro's/PH's are next on the ban list. What gives the goverment, or anyone the right to tell me what I can or can't do to my body. This reminds me of the seat belt law, which I always get tickets for. It should be my choice to wear a seat belt or not. I don't dispute it can save people, but it should be my choice to wear it. Just like it should be MY choice to take supplments. Nice to see The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 held up.

Phillyboy1 is offline Anabolic Member
    i have a full un opened bottle of hydroxycut with epheda in my room. wooooooo hooooooooooo

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Not to be harsh but a few people die and this **** is banned. Once again sounds like the givernment regulating stuff and in return they will probally make more cash of it. Hell if that's the case they should ban fastfood, booze, tobacco, etc etc. The media sucks major bull ballz, poor baseball player, they did'nt say he was out of shape, dehydrated trying to drop some extra pounds and probally had a congenital herat problem. Well that's enough ranting from me.

Cdub is offline Associate Member
    when is the ban to take effect. jan o4 or jan05?

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    I was watching CNN and getting so PISSED. I hear you, groverman1. What about people killing themselves with all that other crap. It's because the government does not get ass loads of taxes from the herb.

Thread Information