Oceans7 is offline Junior Member

40+ AGE Gear Experiences

What r the basic pros/cons/advice/do's/don'ts for 40+ firsttime AS builders? Also what should result expecations be? Oceans7

jasonbbflex is offline Junior Member
    none at present but would like to try...and I'm over 40.

darmadoc is offline Member
    You need to be sure you have a very good base. Also, your tendons may not be as strong and flexible as the youngsters. When AAS induced rapid strength gain occurs one can easily tear a tendon (esp pec or bicep). Thus, one needs extra care as one gets older.

Obviously if you have hypertension or a predisposition you need to watch your BP. And, of course, the old male pattern baldness waits more closely for those who are older and use AAS.

been lifting consistently since i was 12, so my base is solid ... however i do have hypertension. diet good, i'm fit, and my LDL is great ... nevertheless I got the HBP (bad genes i guess). so with that in mind, what AAS are preferable?

Quote Originally Posted by darmadoc
    You need to be sure you have a very good base. Also, your tendons may not be as strong and flexible as the youngsters. When AAS induced rapid strength gain occurs one can easily tear a tendon (esp pec or bicep). Thus, one needs extra care as one gets older.

Obviously if you have hypertension or a predisposition you need to watch your BP. And, of course, the old male pattern baldness waits more closely for those who are older and use AAS.

darmadoc is offline Member
    I'm hardly one of the most experienced guys on the board. I'll bump this up and see if you can get some help.

Ozzy is offline Senior Member
    I'm 43 and I'm currently on 400mg deca and 500mg enanthate , but I have normal blood pressure when off. I think all steroids will raise blood pressure. But there are alot of bro's on other boards who are 50+ doing steroids. I'm responding well to them myself.

toolman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceans7
    been lifting consistently since i was 12, so my base is solid ... however i do have hypertension. diet good, i'm fit, and my LDL is great ... nevertheless I got the HBP (bad genes i guess). so with that in mind, what AAS are preferable?
    Oceans7, Im only a couple of years away from 40+ but I'll tell you, you will love it. Just run a test only cycle, low doses like 250 mg. Some on here will tell you it's not enough, but if you are lifting right and it sounds as though you have the experience, you will see great gains. You'll also enjoy the hornieness of a 17 year old again.

Make sure you moniter your BP daily and your heart history concerns me, but if you keep the dosage low, I do not see any problems.

stengun is offline Associate Member
    Howdy Ocean7,

I did a 10 week cycle of test before my 20 year HS reunion at age 38. I started w/ 350 mg the first week, peaked at 600mg on week 5 and dropped back to 250 mg on week ten. I gain 'bout 20lbs of muscle and my arms went from 16 1/4" to 17 1/8".

I'm going to have surgery on my rt shoulder, AC joint, in the next couple of weeks then after a little recovery time I'm going back on the juice. I've got a bunch of test and a bottle of QV Deca 300. I'll probably get some more deca.

Stengun

proskier is offline New Member
    A single ester such as Test Cyp or E at a low dose would be a good way to find out how you react to AAS. 200mgs /wk will give great results IF you train properly, i.e. squats, dips, clean and press, bent over rows, etc. AND make sure your diet is basically 40/40/20. You do not need to eat 5000 cal a day to grow. Cut out the junk food. PCT is where you need to research thoroughly. I have found that long cycles, 8+ weeks, will shut down the HPTA hard. The older you are the worse it is. Recovery will take time and you will feel lethargic. Connective tissues will be strained and sore. especially elbows, shoulders and knees. Which brings me to the next point, shorter, low dose cycles. At my age they work very well. Currently I use Deca and Winny tabs for 4 week cycles and have very acceptable results. I follow Nelson Montana's suggested cycles and post cycle crash and the need for extensive PCT are minimal.
    Joints feel better than they have in years. I look and feel like a 35 year old. Remember, diet and proper training are key to growth and success. AAS are just very powerful supplements. Great physiques take years to develope even with AAS. In conclusion, when using AAS you are using yourself as a lab experiment. Everybody reacts in their own way. You will know what works best after trying a few different cycles. Good luck!

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Hey bro...nice to see a thread I can totally relate too.I'm 43 myself and 15wks into a 23 wk cycle.I feel great but have had a few minor set backs in this cycle,included are rotor cuff problems,high bp and test flu.your doc will be able to handle the high bp for you while on cycle.As far as other concerns go proskier brought up a very important topic on diet.You'll read all over these boards young bros putting down 5000 cals ed.Disregard that totally or you'll wind up with more bf than you ever had in your life.His ratio is pretty much right on and you'll probably want to max out at 3800 cals ed.you'll find yourself tweeking your diet through your cycle and that's fine as long as you keep your protien high.Be your own personal lab rat the first time around,just keep a solid journal so you can look back and correct things for your next cycle.Anyway bro I know it's real hard for us older bros to get correct answers on cycling at our age,so continue to put up Q's and we'll get around to answering them for you.

Good luck

DB

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    well,
    i'm up there in age too i guess........(i'm 42), and i can say with no hesitation that training hard, getting my diet in order, and cycling on a semi-regular basis has been a good thing.

ive run quite a few cycles, including a long one(60 weeks), and while i get checked on a consistent basis, ive had no ill effects.
    the biggest thing i can tell you regarding this is to do your homework. depending on what your goals are, you can create cycles that are safe, and effective.

if youve never cycled before, things will be trial and error for a while, it cant be helped. but you can get as much knowledge as possible before you stick yourself with anything from hanging out right here.
    good luck, and feel free to drop me a line if i can help in any way.

peace I4L

Thanks guts ... that was some helpful input. I was going to throw down 500sust/400deca for 12 weeks (10 on the Deca ) but me thimks I should ease into this, given my age and HBP. Not too worried, since I have been lifting like crazy for 20 years, but I am getting older. I could easily see me poppin a bicep or peck. My bigger concern is the PCT ...

Will the 12 week cycle really pound me at my age on the recovery? Should I back off to multiple 4-6wk cycles instead? I'm 47 (I'll never admit it anywhere accept here). Most think I am 35, BUT MY BODY KNOWS!!

Also, what do you guys think about following my sust/deca cycle with a winny/primo cycle. Is that easier on the PCT? I know it doesn't give much in the way of size and strength ... but it's something. What do you think?

Thread Information