View Poll Results: Train with Partner or by Yourself?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Partner

27 45.00%
  • Yourself

33 55.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    monkeyjuice is offline Member

Do you lift by yourself or with a partner?

I started out lifting with a partner, but they keep comming and going. None of them ever stick with it, so it ends up being me lifting by myslef. I like it better this way anyways. I can set my own pace.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Depends on if my workout partners wife lets him out of the house

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I used to have a partner but he met this girl and now worksout with her now.............. I think he thinks she's prettier than me... go figure

THE PUMP is offline Member
    You cant beat haven a work out partner when your bench pressing because you can push your self harder.

LARGELI is offline New Member
    if i need a spot i go get my wife out of her routine and ask her.

other then that i dont like to talk durring my workouts, so a training partner is not something i care for. also i dont want to have to wait around for someone if theyre late or if they decide not to show one day or what ever.....dont like depending on anyone else. guess thats why i never liked to play team sports.

500lbs is offline New Member
    I don't know anyone who wants a 500lb+ squat FOR REPS more than me, so I lift at home alone. A training partner would be nice but it's like Monkey said TRUE hardcore BB's (natural or not) who honestly & consistently train hard are few & far between. Only the truely hardcore can understand what I mean.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally, I always have a better workout if I have someone with me. It just helps to push each other farther. But, if no ones around, I'm on my own!

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    If i can, i grab a partner.. but usually there's no one around... so i have to risk my neck asking for spots every **** time i work chest/legs.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Have went through half a dozen workout partners since I started lifting with life and it's hetic schedule I was unable to keep one for more than a year. I just put on the mp3 player some Slayer and go to work. I don't use the gym as a place to socialize, business only.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Both, it depends on how my workout partner's schedule fits with my own that particular day.

DocHoliday is offline Senior Member
    My two balls and my mp3 player.

People like to talk too much about future plans, discrepancies and dissatisfactions with how they are. Too many intermittent lifters out there, seasonal ones. You get guys talking about supplements and lifting, and next thing you know a 2min break between a set is 10-15min.

I work out alone and get zoned. I feel insane, and I feed off my intensity. The more psychotic I feel the more amped up I get for a lift. I feel like people look at me with a deep acknowledgment that I’m not there to talk. No one messes with me, bothers me, and sometimes me just walking by someone will make them wait to do a set or start up right away. A motivator by example. LOL

Ps. I’m not big. Just more intense than they guys at my gym.

Doc

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    haven't had a workout partner for years. Would like one, just can't find one that is consistant with my workouts.

J*U*icEd is offline Anabolic Member
    I work out alone and get zoned. I feel insane, and I feed off my intensity. The more psychotic I feel the more amped up I get for a lift. I feel like people look at me with a deep acknowledgment that I’m not there to talk. No one messes with me, bothers me, and sometimes me just walking by someone will make them wait to do a set or start up right away. A motivator by example. LOL

Ps. I’m not big. Just more intense than they guys at my gym.

Doc[/QUOTE]

-- sums up my workout

simplyjakked is offline Member
    had a partner who was almost as intense as me in the gym...we didnt say three sentences throughout a workout! now im in a new gym and wear my walkman and if i need a spot i will ask!

lifesabitch is offline Associate Member
    Usually have a workout partner, but if I don't it doesn't bother me.

48ngoin is offline Associate Member
    Training with weights/partner is like running with a partner. There can be advantages, but it can hold you back and keep you from concentrating and getting in your zone.

I find too many people want to socialize while training....that's not why I bust my butt every week, year after year. Sometimes I feel like yelling, "All those who are here to get laid or otherwise impress one another; please leave now."

When I go to the trouble to work out at a gym, it's GO TIME.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    I usually have a partner.. The same partner don't trust anybody to spot.

LARGELI is offline New Member
    the only advantage for me in haveing a partner is for a good spot once in a while.....nobody can spot me like my wife though. i have yelled at her enough times for grabbing the bar too early, and or too late so shes got it down pretty good now.

Taejoon is offline Associate Member
    My music and myself. Don't like to depend on anyone. I've had partner's in the past, but they lack the discipline and drive that I have. Plus, I don't talk to anyone while I lift, it's not a social event or a fashion show. I'm there to break my body, and not much else.

Peace

-Taejoon

motoxxxguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Once I started lifting seriously, I gave up on the workout partner gig. Too much trouble coordinating schedules, deciding what we are working today, etc. I do my own thing, when I want, and for as long or short as I want.

My girlfriend has been working out with me the last few months, and that's cool as hell. She's into it, and just started seeing some results, so she's pumped. She pushes me now to go to the gym, and to train harder. God I love her!

-moto

Lord is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxxxguy
    Once I started lifting seriously, I gave up on the workout partner gig. Too much trouble coordinating schedules, deciding what we are working today, etc. I do my own thing, when I want, and for as long or short as I want.

My girlfriend has been working out with me the last few months, and that's cool as hell. She's into it, and just started seeing some results, so she's pumped. She pushes me now to go to the gym, and to train harder. God I love her!

-moto
    **** you are a lucky man

anyway, lets go to the question.
    i have a training partner. feels good when someone can help to push 2-3 reps extra.

Quote Originally Posted by motoxxxguy
    She pushes me now to go to the gym, and to train harder. God I love her!

-moto
    So you’re saying she wears the pants in the relationship?

my girl goes to the gym with me too, that is basically the only partner i have. She goes and runs on all those machines and I just recently got her into the freeweight room and she is starting to like it. She don't spot me, but she is motivation on days when I just want to relax. She wants to go to the gym, so it makes me wanna go, and vice versa.

toolman is offline Banned
    What a bunch of loners we all are. I lift alone too for all the same reasons.

Xavier_4446 is offline Senior Member
    It is hard for me to find anyone that will stick with it. The only people that will stick with me play some kind of sport

motoxxxguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHoliday
    So you’re saying she wears the pants in the relationship?

Bastard...

I don't wear pants!

Ahh it’s ok I don’t wear undees…..

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I just like to keep my sets under 8 reps, and i always work to failure on every work set.. so a spotter for me is a neccessity, not a luxury.

Agent Smith is offline 'The Cleaner'
    they come and go i'm training on my own at the moment. i do find it hard when training heavy, i hold back sometimes incase i get wedged under the bar.

peace

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    i can never find a person who will stick with me for more than 6 months, my current partner is going on three months, and he's got a lot of heart and desire, so he might make it a year

Shud is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman
    What a bunch of loners we all are. I lift alone too for all the same reasons.
    hahahaha........
    i lift alone aswell.....
    if only there was a Golds Gym of '74 atmosphere everywhere...(just got the pumping iron DVD 25th ann edition)....

KeyMastur is offline VET
    i can't stand working out with a workout partner. they usually talk so **** much. most lifts i'm on the clock as far as rest time goes, so either he's talkin, or still liftin. can't stand it. if i ever need a spot on something, i'll just ask someone near me.

detroit is offline Banned
    Generally i lift with a partner, but often times i have to go solo. I prefer having a partner though...

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    I lift solo. But, I get a lot stronger when I lift with a partner. I find I can't really push myself as hard when I lift solo just because I don't like to lift till failure solo. Having a smashed head from having too much weight on the bar while benching isn't cool.

Peace,

CC

portable mp3 players are great...... ever since i got one, thats all i lift with

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I've a training partner and has been the best one I've ever had. Been in the gym everyday Monday thru Friday, always on time and is dedicated to the sport more so then many I've known. She does figure comps and I'm sooo going to miss her when she moves on.

Just for the record she's married and not to me.

Vidooch is offline Associate Member
    My lifting partner is my best friend and is also my motivator in the gym. I find it necessary to have one around to help with extra reps.

Stove is offline Associate Member
    I havent been lifting long, but I lift alone during the week, and my old lady goes with me on the weekends, she helps me mentally giving inspiration to lift harder and heavier. I am very proud to have her as my partner at the gym, as well as in life. She is also very interested in seeing just how big I will get in the next 5 years. Here is a picture of my gal, Julia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you lift by yourself or with a partner?-julia-12-2003.jpg  

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Partner

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    right now solo, my old partner turned into a cardio pussy and thats all he wants to do. thats ok he wasnt a good partner anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information