jmiro is offline Associate Member

Over the counter cirth control

As of 2002 we can soon buy the morning after pill. I beleive. I may be wrong. But is this the RU 486, what can I use it as.
    Last edited by jmiro; 01-14-2002 at 02:29 AM.

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    if by some freak of nature you become pregnant, you can take it to abort the pregnancy.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Have to agree with BK on that it stops the conceving stage.What would you want to use it for?

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Re: Over the counter cirth control

Originally posted by jmiro
    . . . the morning after pill. I beleive. I may be wrong. But is this the RU 486 . . .
    No, the morning after pill is not the same as RU-486. The MAP is a combination of standard hormone-based birth control pills - usually norethindrone (a progestogen) and ethinylestradiol (an estrogen) - that must be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, and acts to block ovulation. There are two morning-after combinations that are approved by the FDA: Preven, made by Gynetics Inc., and Plan-B, made by Women's Capital Corp.

RU-486, which has been available in France for several years, is a progesterone antagonist that is used to induce an abortion later in pregnancy (after implantation of a fertilized egg cell has occurred).

Both drugs are controversial with the right-to-life crowd (which views pregnancy as occurring at fertilization as opposed to implantation, thus treating the MAP as an abortifacient rather than a contraceptive since it can prevent implantation), but RU-486 is the more controversial of the two because it is used later in pregnancy. Thus, it was kept out of the U.S. for many years, and is still the least used of all first-trimester abortion methods because, although prescribed, it is usually ingested without supervision (after a woman has left the physician's office or clinic).

Therefore, to use the terms morning after pill and RU-486 in the same breath is not quite correct, since they are two different things.

There are some people who think that RU-486 has value in an AS cycle, but all indications of that tend to be anecdotal. (Meaning, I am not one of them.)

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    TNT does it again............

Thread Information